PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog Leapster/Explorer age question

jse107
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
When did your child outgrow their Leapster product? I have an Explorer pack that I got from Costco, but DS is 6 and I don't know if he's getting too old for it. He did put it on his Christmas list, but I'm not sure how long it will last for him...

sariana
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Bumping because I am interested in responses, too.

I was going to have my son use his 6 year birthday money to buy one. His birthday was in July, and I'm still undecided. He has a younger sister, though, so she always could use it if he outgrows it quickly.

jec2
11-09-2010, 12:25 AM
DS1 rec'd a Leapster2 two years ago for xmas (right after he turned 5). He's never used it a ton--he would go through fits and starts. My 4 year old took a liking to it in the past year while my older DS still never used it that much. In the meantime, DS1 had been asking for a Nintendo DS since last xmas and we finally got him one for his 7th bday (last month). He LOVES that DS. We're now planning to get DS2 (who just turned 4) a Ds Lite for xmas as he's now shunned the Leapster since DS1's Nintendo arrived. All that being said, I know almost nothing about the Explorer--walked past the display at Costco and saw a commercial last night. I do like the concept of the Leapster and if the Explorer is similar, it might be worth considering. However, the Leapster wasn't that impressive as far as graphics and screen size. On the other hand, I love the Nintendo DS and see why my son loves it too. I actually kind of want one for myself. Before I buy the DS lite for DS2, I might take a closer look at the Explorer, but one thing about the Nintendo DS is the price of games seems to be better priced--Costco has them for about $15 and we can get pre-owned ones at Game Stop for about the same (or even less, in some cases).

vonfirmath
11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
On Amazon, you can get Leapfrog Explorer games for $16-$18

wimama
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
My DS is only four and my parents are buying the Explorer for him for Christmas. At age 6 I might consider a DS instead, I don't know. Do you think he is responsible enough not to lose or break a DS?

I want to hold off on the real video games like a DS or big game console for as long as I can. I think he will enjoy it and I like it because it seems more educational than the DS. I also don't think our son is responsible enough for a DS system. At least to me the DS looks more fragile.

My parents bought him the Costco Explorer set for around $75 for the Explorer, Leaflet cards and Penguin game. We bought him a case, Toy Story game and Mr. Pencil game for his stocking all for around $17-18 each. All told everything was $128. All that for less than the cost of the DS without any games. To me that is worth it, even if he only uses it for two years or so.