PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Have you started holiday shopping?

jenfromnj
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
I started this weekend, but that's probably too late to count as "early" holiday shopping at this point, LOL. Every January I start out with great intentions to do my shopping little by little throughout the year, but it never seems to happen. I've seen a few Facebook posts in the past few days where friends are proclaiming they're already finished shopping.

Last year's great Amazon deals are making me hesitate to buy any toy gifts for DS or my nieces/nephews/friends' kids just yet, since I got so much great stuff at super prices last December.

So, am I the only procrastinator? :wink2:

Corie
11-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Definitely! I usually start in October when I am buying for my kids'
birthdays.

AnnieW625
11-08-2010, 06:09 PM
No, but I am hoping to get most of it done this Thursday for the girls, and my siblings, and my nephew. We got family photos taken so I'll most likely be giving those to the rest of the extended family this year so I have to order a few of them.

WolfpackMom
11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, when Target had that big toy clearance I got my nephew a big truck, and a couple of my nieces some other things...I need to get them some other stuff though. I already got my parents gifts because they wanted stuff for their new pool so I bought those items last month on clearance.

alien_host
11-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I've definitely started and I think I'm nearly done for DD and my nephew. I still have other family members to buy for but I've made a good dent.

The problem with starting early is that I always find stuff to "pick-up" for people along the way and then I overbuy!

daniele_ut
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I started this weekend, but that's probably too late to count as "early" holiday shopping at this point, LOL.

That qualifies as early in my book. DH is a musician and I work in theatre/music and we both are always super busy with holiday concerts from Thanksgiving until just before Christmas. I am usually doing all of the shopping between the 18th and 25th! One would think I'd start earlier since I know the concerts are coming up, but I can never seem to do it!

11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm probably about 2/3 done. Done with nephews, mostly done with DS, halfway done with DD1 and I bought a couple small items for DD2. Still need to get for 2 nieces and DH. I have decided not to look for a few weeks so I can do some shopping near the holidays but its hard.

I just want to be done and able to focus on enjoying our first Christmas that we have planned to be home (we were home 2 years ago but only because DS had severe norovirus so we had to cancel our trip to FILs).

Armywife1stDr2nd
11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes. I finished with all the gifts for my family since we are going to see them next week for DSs birthday. Then I can get out of traveling down to see them again in a month =). I have a full list and a plan of action for all my shopping for DS and DH. It's all online and I'll start that up as soon as we are done with all the birthday stuff for DS. I can't believe he is going to be 1! I'm waiting until then because I've been told by my parents that a lot of their friends will be giving us gift cards so I can stash some for x-mas toys too :bighand:

Seitvonzu
11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
i'm like alienhost-- i always am finished early and then find things to "pick" up and overbuy-- especially for my child. i should have been done and just today ordered her 2 things from magic cabin. *sigh*

i tend to get done with the children pretty fast (i just have one thing to pick up for my husband's side's "kids exchange" and i know what we are buying), but i'm TERRIBLE about adults i buy for(dh, my parents, my brother and his wife). i'm thinking this year that i have an joint idea for my brother/sil but my parents are, as usual, a mystery. my mother used to really like "stuff" but she's less like that now and my dad is always hard.

dh is an "amazon wishlist" kinda guy, so that's not hard, i just have to do it :)

billysmommy
11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty much done shopping except for a couple things I'm waiting to check out Black Friday deals/incentives on ~ laptop for Ds1, ipad for DH and possibly a Wii.

TwinFoxes
11-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes! For the first time ever, I bought some things in the summer. :) I'm also an over buyer. An I love hitting the malls at Christmas, the music, the decorations, the hustle and bustle, I love it all! (Yes, I'm a freak.)

JoyNChrist
11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I haven't even started coming up with ideas.

Usually I'm finished by now, but I just can't get it together this year (surprise, surprise, lol).

I'll probably just have my mom or MIL watch the kids one Saturday and do all of it online at one time. Probably won't get the best deals, but at least it'll get done.

pb&j
11-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Yep, and I'm almost done.

We have birthdays in my family in Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan, so if I don't start early, I'm hosed.

KrisM
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes.

DS1 is done from us. I need him to put 2-3 more things on his 'list' to give others this weekend.

DD is harder. I need a couple more things from us and a couple more for a list. She wants everything she sees, which makes it really hard.

DS2 is even harder. But, I'm doing pretty good at coming up with a few things.

For the kids, I want there to be the same number of things to open. At this point, I'll probably have to not give DS1 as much as I won't have enough for the others.

I have not shopped for anyone else at all. I hope to start very soon!

Momof3Labs
11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes, absolutely. I have a few things that I got a while back, but I usually start in September when I'm also shopping for DS1's birthday. Also curious to see how the amazon deals pan out this year, though we'll be on vacation for a good week when they are in full swing...

Tondi G
11-09-2010, 02:44 AM
the only things I have bought so far are the Lego Brickmaster book/sets from Costco .. 2 for each of my boys. I have no idea what to get for my DH or my sister, or my mom... UUGH. I hate holiday shopping. I really should get my act together and handle some of it while the kids are in school. I've been so busy in the last month that holiday shopping has been put off. I would really like to get it handled so maybe this year I could enjoy the weekends with my family... maybe bake some cookies etc rather than spending every free minute shopping on online trying to figure out what to buy!

egoldber
11-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a list (we do Hanukkah and Christmas and Santa :o) and so far I have about half the things on my list. I bought the HP Lego Hogwarts (because I was afraid it would sell out) and I got some Wii games in the Target B2G1 free promo last week (including one older DD saw in the Scholastic catalog and has been asking for).

Mostly I like to wait until closer to see if the kids are into/asking for anything in particular. I have Amazon Prime and it doesn't bother me to not pay the absolute lowest price as long as it's a good price.

ETA: DH and I do not exchange presents. And we do not do adult gift exchanges on my side. So it's just DH's family that needs buying and he usually works that all with siblings, etc.

elliput
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I've been buying stuff pretty much all year. I've gotten Lincoln Log and Mr. Potato head sets on clearance. Bought Tag books and Leapster games with coupons when they are on sale. Watched for special deals on Amazon for specific Wii games. A couple of items I have paid full price on, but they are things that most likely would not be put on sale and might be hard to find later.

Melaine
11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I have a boatload of stuff for the girls. Like one thing for DH. I have some stuff for the nieces and nephews but still need TONS more. And it turns out we are going to be seeing a lot more family this year than I anticipated, which is fun. But I'd like to have gifts for everyone. Definitely feeling overwhelmed right now.

lablover
11-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I usually don't do my Christmas shopping until after Thanksgiving. I did pick up a couple small things at Costco for DS this weekend and I have one thing for DD that I bought a couple of years ago. Other than that, nothing! Right now I'm just starting to formulate thoughts on what to get the kids and I'll probably start shopping in stores and online in December. I'll still be at it the week leading up to Christmas.

hillview
11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
No but have thought about it :)
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I have most everything done for the kids. I haven't really started working on other people though and I don't have many ideas. I have a few gifts tucked here in there.

Beth

MZS V
11-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Hmm, I have definitely been looking, planning, and making lists...but no actual shopping yet. Is it sad that I *thought* I WAS getting started early?!

lizzywednesday
11-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, I've started.

Magic Cabin ran free shipping deals over the summer, so I ordered 2 things for DD then; they arrived within a week of her Halloween costume.

I have one thing for our eldest niece and one thing for DH.

Everyone else is ... on my list.

jse107
11-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I've started. I've got several things stashed under my bed...hopefully the kids don't go snooping!

I love shopping during the holiday season. It just puts me in the mood I guess!