PDA

View Full Version : prenatal yoga dvds??

puja77
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
anyone have some good recommendations on some prenatal yoga dvds? i am hoping to have a natural birth so I am looking to do some yoga to help with opening up the pelvic region and everything. any recs would be appreciated..thanks!

MacMacMoo
11-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Check your local library.

Don't think yoga helped much in the pelvic region. squatting and pelvic tilts daily helps.

lizzywednesday
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Shiva Rea does pelvic floor exercises as part of her video practice.

The video is published by, I think, Gaiam and is called "Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea"

You'll want a straight-backed chair for some of the poses, as she incorporates ballet-like stretches & standing poses into her practice. I did this one fairly consistently through my entire pregnancy and absolutely loved Shiva Rea. She gives modifications for different trimesters so you don't hurt yourself. In your later pregnancy, you may want a brick and strap in addition to the chair; I did.

The other one I would reccommend is Gmurkh's Prenatal Yoga. It does some "dancing" moves that might be along the lines of what you're looking for. I couldn't get through the whole practice (I tried it at 10 weeks and got nauseated) but it was very nice.

The one thing about that one that I do really wish is that the video had someone physically demonstrating all the moves consistently. The camera lingered on Gmurkh while she was instructing but not moving, and that was fairly off-putting for me. I need to see someone doing the pose before I can do it myself.

rkold
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Shiva Rea does pelvic floor exercises as part of her video practice.

The video is published by, I think, Gaiam and is called "Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea"

You'll want a straight-backed chair for some of the poses, as she incorporates ballet-like stretches & standing poses into her practice. I did this one fairly consistently through my entire pregnancy and absolutely loved Shiva Rea. She gives modifications for different trimesters so you don't hurt yourself. In your later pregnancy, you may want a brick and strap in addition to the chair; I did.

The other one I would reccommend is Gmurkh's Prenatal Yoga. It does some "dancing" moves that might be along the lines of what you're looking for. I couldn't get through the whole practice (I tried it at 10 weeks and got nauseated) but it was very nice.

The one thing about that one that I do really wish is that the video had someone physically demonstrating all the moves consistently. The camera lingered on Gmurkh while she was instructing but not moving, and that was fairly off-putting for me. I need to see someone doing the pose before I can do it myself.

I also did the Shiva Rea yoga DVD and loved it! It was actually my first time doing yoga and I started it late, but really enjoyed the DVD and thought Shiva did a great job of modifying poses for someone in the 3rd trimester and making it possible for someone who has never done yoga before to follow her stretches.

I can't say whether it helped me with my pelvic muscles, but it did help me with the panic attacks I developed towards the end of my pregnancy and helped me to breathe better.

I had a natural birth in a birthing center.

alirebco
11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Not a dvd, but the book Active Birth has a ton of yoga based exercises to help prepare your body for a natural birth. I wish they would make a dvd for it!