PDA

View Full Version : Eggs....

WolfpackMom
11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
OK, so DS (9.5mos) lately has been refusing purees and we have been doing finger foods. I have been having a heck of a time trying to get protein in him. I decided to try scrambeld eggs with a little bit of cheese tonight...and I forgot about not scrambling the whites.:bag

He only ate a little bit of them, seems to be perfectly fine. He was so tired that he ended up throwing a fit and is now sleeping right here next to me. All the stories I read on here have me paranoid.

Im not even sure what I am asking or if Im just making a mommy confession that I accidentally fed DS egg whites before the reccomended age. Since he is OK now, and I will watch him the next few hours, would you say he would be OK eating eggs (the whole egg) in the future or should I keep waiting until 12 months? I even packed some for daycare tomorrow, so I guess I should go toss those!

YouAreTheFocus
11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I somehow overlooked the rec on not feeding whites until 12 mos (didn't realize until he had already had them several times). He has been LOVING scrambled eggs since 10 mos or so.

And I will add that we have a history of food allergies, since I am allergic to peanuts.

jgenie
11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
My ped gave me the ok at 9 months. DS2 loves eggs.

WolfpackMom
11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
So maybe I dont need to worry so much then, Im not one to worry about these things usually. I don't plan to wait an extended amount of time for anything as I know many families with allergies do, but I wasn't sure if this was way too early on the whites or not. We don't have any family allergies although DS has a slight milk protein intolerance.

Crisis averted. Thanks!

Katigre
11-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I fed eggs around 9 months and didn't bother separating them - I believe the white and yolk are designed to eat together and never separate them. DD loved them and still likes eggs today :).

JBaxter
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I never had a ped recommend only yolks.

crl
11-09-2010, 12:44 AM
My ped (just last month) only recommended waiting on nuts, fish and shellfish--no mention of egg whites.

Catherine

ETA. This might be helpful. http://www.healthychildren.org/english/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

brittone2
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
I usually wait on whites a bit (we do have a family hx of allergies) but at the same time, I'm not sure how much it matters. If you are separating the yolk from the white, there is still going to be egg white proteins on there I would think? No one can separate whites and yolks that perfectly ;) So I always wonder if it really matters since the potential allergen would still be present...maybe in smaller quantity but still there?

Just thinking out loud.

Don't sweat it.

WolfpackMom
11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I usually wait on whites a bit (we do have a family hx of allergies) but at the same time, I'm not sure how much it matters. If you are separating the yolk from the white, there is still going to be egg white proteins on there I would think? No one can separate whites and yolks that perfectly ;) So I always wonder if it really matters since the potential allergen would still be present...maybe in smaller quantity but still there?

Just thinking out loud.

Don't sweat it.

Yeah from what I read last night in a few articles, there is no way to *perfectly* only do yolks, there will always be trace amounts. Everything I read said there was no longer any evidence that waiting makes a difference, its kind of like your're allergic or you're not, ya know? I don't feel so bad anymore, I think the general exhaustion over DS refusing to eat things lately combined with reading allergy stories on here got me paranoid for a hot minute!

Thanks everyone for making me feel better!:love-retry:

fedoragirl
11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I fed DD a whole scrambled egg at 7 months, and she was fine. I ventured at a whole hard boiled egg at 9 months, and she gobbled it up. I aslo read on wholesomebabyfood that pediatricians now do not restrict giving egg whites as it does not seem to worsen allergies. I grew up with eating everything before age 1, and that's what I follow with DD. Our ped. says that's ok, and with all the current research, right on track.