PDA

View Full Version : Where are you going to be on Black Friday?

infomama
11-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Sleeping in? Glued to your laptop? In a parking lot waiting for the store to open?
I did the parking lot at the crack of dawn thing once...once and never again.

mom2binsd
11-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm working at a nursing home, business as usual for my profession.

Personally I just don't get the thrill of the whole Black Friday thing, but if there is something specific I guess I'd go if I had someone to watch the kids.

kijip
11-09-2010, 12:26 AM
In my house. Eating pie and turkey sandwiches with mayo and cranberry sauce. Reading, sleeping, watching tv, going for a walk, absolutely no working from home, will be alone with the kids since J is working that day and maybe we will invite some buddies over for a movie or something,

I only violated buy nothing day once to get cheap diapers for my then work (family charity) and it was not an experience I will be seeking out again in the future. It was not bad because we were there early but it was bad when my brother decided I should stop for TRU. Ugh, er, uh, no fun.

new_mommy25
11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
At home. Never gone out for black friday and probably never will. NMS.

jenfromnj
11-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Far away from the mall! The county I live in is the unofficial mall capital of the eastern seaboard, LOL, so we try to stay away from the major highways from Thanksgiving until the beginning of the year.

belovedgandp
11-09-2010, 12:34 AM
At home putting up the Christmas decorations. I usually end up at Target to get extra lights or other supplies. By noon it is completely calm. If there is a deal and it's still there then I buy it.

bluestarfish18
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Hopefully, still in my turkey coma.

codex57
11-09-2010, 03:18 AM
No sleep for me again. I used to skip Black Friday. Was never worth camping out days ahead. If I just got there a few hours early, I would be at the end of a super long line.

However, did BF here for the first time since we moved here about 5 yrs ago. It's AWESOME! People are NOT hardcore here. They complain about driving 10-15 minutes to the next Target. :rolleye0014: So, I can get to a place 1-4 hours early, or sometimes even right when it opens, and still get the most desirable items on the list.

citymama
11-09-2010, 03:42 AM
What we do every year - hiking in the redwoods and eating leftovers with our family. Staying faaar away from the stores.

briarrose
11-09-2010, 04:57 AM
I work part time in retail, so no getting out of it for me. We open at midnight, but I have the 6am-3 shift. Should be crazy. I wish I could stay home and ejoy leftovers.

Barb

maestramommy
11-09-2010, 07:41 AM
We usually hunker down and don't go anywhere. But this year my MOMS club is planning a short road trip to an outlet. We get there (or leave?) at 10pm Thursday, get back 2am Friday. The kids will be in bed the whole time, Dh can just go to bed. I'm sorely tempted just to go along for the ride, since I never shop Black Fridays. It sounds so collegey!:tongue5:

klwa
11-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Sleeping at my dad's. My brothers may or may not join in the insanity of BF, but I generally stay home & in bed. I MAY hit K-mart before I head home that afternoon.

elliput
11-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Unless there is an amazing deal on something specific which is already on my list, I'll be at home thinking about putting up Christmas decorations.

dec756
11-09-2010, 09:01 AM
unless i find something i really want/need i doubt i will go out. it is insane where i live in northern va. people line up any time after 8pm to get the best deals (things that they have only xamount) and i dont know if i can handle al that after the mass amount of food i will have eaten. we used to do the whole camping out.tent stuff but i fell as though its a litle juvenille now..

o_mom
11-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Unless there is something too good to pass up (meaning I was already planning on it and couldn't afford/wasn't willing to pay for it otherwise) I'll probably be home. I might tag along if other people go, but that's about it. I did have DH go out last year mid-afternoon for something, but I was OK if it was gone by then (it wasn't - not a high-interest item).

Melaine
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I have no idea. If we are still visiting my family then DH and I might go out for fun. But it won't be at the crack of dawn, that's for sure.

egoldber
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
We never do the get up early thing. Sometimes we go out later in the afternoon.

jess_g
11-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I will be staying home with the kids. I have never shopped on bf except at Kohls latter on in the day when its not so crazy. The one thing I am looking for is a deal on a nintendo ds so that might drag me out of the house, but other than that I am staying home.

Jessica.

hellokitty
11-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I will be staying home with the kids. I have never shopped on bf except at Kohls latter on in the day when its not so crazy. The one thing I am looking for is a deal on a nintendo ds so that might drag me out of the house, but other than that I am staying home.

Jessica.

Same here. I'm looking for a deal for two NDS. Otherwise we have houseguests, so I doubt we'kk do anything unless my sil wants to go out, I'll take her. BF is nuts here, I went once with a friend and we froze out butts off and the deals were eh, but obviously she didn't get the laptop she wanted. Last yr some woman puled a knife out on someone else in line a TRU and the cops were called. I'm a bargain hunter, but have my limits!

lhafer
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
We will be on a plane, flying to DISNEY WORLD!!! :jammin::yay::jammin::yay:

lowrioh
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Hopefully at home taking care of a newborn :)
Before DD, my mom and I would go out on Black Friday in PA where it isn't as nuts as down here. I think I went out last year to get a GPS but then I came right back in time for breakfast. I have gotten up at 5 so that I could take advantage of the online BF sales. I already looked through the Kohls ad and put stuff in a saved shopping cart, hopefully they will offer the door busters online.

Corie
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
My daughter and I always do Black Friday, ever since she was 4 years old!!
She sleeps with me the night before and we wake up super duper early. We
are dressed and out the door in 15 min. We always head to JC Penney's first
to get our free Disney snow globe. Then usually to Target. We never have
anything really important to get. It's just that we have so much fun together.
We are usually laughing the entire time.

My sister is going with us this year!! Should be even more fun & crazy!! :)

carolinamama
11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
At home. Unfortunately I probably won't be sleeping in since DS2 is an early riser but I won't be at the stores. I have also contemplated picking up that day at work but I haven't decided if I want to give up that day or not yet. Guess I need to decide pretty soon.

lizzywednesday
11-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I haven't decided yet.

If there are excellent deals on things I actually want to get for friends & family, I'll wear DD to Target or Kohl's at 4am or whatever.

If not, I'll keep cleaning for Christmas.

elizabethkott
11-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Sitting on my couch, eating pie. Out of the pie tin. Maybe with a huge scoop of ice cream on top.
:D

daniele_ut
11-09-2010, 12:42 PM
In my house, feeding all of my inlaws who are spending the night on thursday. Last year we were at my SILs and I left to go BF shopping to escape the crowded house!

Babywhite
11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I guess I/my family are the odd balls here... :)

My mom and I have enjoyed BF shopping for years. When DD was born, we were 'up and gone' the earliest ever... :)

Now, my mom is much older and having some health issues, so we have made some changes.

We eat Thanksgiving lunch at my ILs and dinner at my parents. After dinner and decorating the tree, DH leaves to go stay with his relatives in order to hunt the next morning.

DD and I stay with my parents, so I can get up super early and head out. DD enjoys having the morning with my parents and then we all head out for a nice lunch and a little 'calm' afternoon shopping. (Then home for turkey leftovers for dinner... )

I guess BF shopping gets our family in the holiday mood. :)

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I like BF shopping. I think it's fun!

But, we won't be going this year. We are going to my Aunt's house (2-3 hour drive). She is having Thanksgiving on Friday and my grandma and cousins will be there.

bostonsmama
11-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Hopefully I'll be in a warm hospital bed snuggling our DD who is due the day before....well, a girl can dream, right?

I usually go out w/ my mom (or dad when he's visiting since he LOVES to shop) around 6:30am and shop 1 store only. We go to other stores ONLY if there's something we want that's not in super limited supply. People will line up 10 hours early for a $10 gift card around here--it's stupid. This year, if little girl hasn't arrived, I have my eye on a North Face hat and some post partum clothing (mostly sweaters). The walking will help if nothing.

AnnieW625
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
We usually hunker down and don't go anywhere. But this year my MOMS club is planning a short road trip to an outlet. We get there (or leave?) at 10pm Thursday, get back 2am Friday. The kids will be in bed the whole time, Dh can just go to bed. I'm sorely tempted just to go along for the ride, since I never shop Black Fridays. It sounds so collegey!:tongue5:

That sounds fun. I would go!

This year we will either be in Lake Arrowhead chilling out or at the Los Angeles Auto Show. We can't decide if we want to go the day before Thanksgiving or the day after. We will take the light rail train either day so at least we don't have to deal with traffic.

daisymommy
11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll be the lone one out--I LOVE the excitement of black Friday! It doesn't get too bad here (unless you go to Toys R Us or Walmart--which I do not plan on doing!). I usually go with my mom if she is in town, or a girlfriend. It's just a fun way to kick off the holiday shopping season. And then we do lunch, come home for turkey leftovers for dinner, watch some movies.

billysmommy
11-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Maybe I can catch a plane Thursday night and come too :)

I'll get up and hit JC Penney, Target and Toys R Us before DH goes to work. Then the boys and I will go back out to AC Moore or Michaels, the Lego store and Disney store.
We're at my parents house for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking about having the boys stay there that night while DH and I come home so I can do all the shopping by myself. But we're going up to NH Friday evening and I'm not sure if I want to do all the extra driving to go pick them up again. Hmmmm

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Building the Lego Toy Shop and playing games with my family. I may do a little online shopping but I will, ideally, be done with shopping by then!
Beth

babychi
11-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Awwww....this is so sweet and sounds like a great tradition with your daughter!

I always go into the office on Black Friday. We don't get the day off and I prefer to take more time off over Christmas anyway. The in-laws will be in town watching DD, so I'll hunker down at my desk, listen to talk radio and cross a lot off my to-do list without any distractions!

Oh, and maybe a little online shopping..... :)

amldaley
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
At home balancing laptop and potty training - it's gonna be a *FUN* time!!!!

keh602
11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
My dad and I have gone shopping together on Black Friday for many years. It's our own little tradition that I treasure. :heartbeat: Thanksgiving Day, my mom, sister, and DH look through the ads and mark what they want, and then my dad and I go out to get it. We get up super early, shop a little, have breakfast, shop some more, have lunch, and then we're pretty much ready to head home. The rest of the family has their own tradition: my mom makes a big breakfast somewhere between 10 and noon, and they lounge around all day while we're shopping for them. ;) I look forward to BF every year! For me, it's a great way to kick off the holiday season.

TwinFoxes
11-09-2010, 04:40 PM
There's no way I'll be waiting in line someplace, or getting to the store for "doorbusters" but I'll probably get to the shops by 8 or so. I like Christmas shopping. :)

One time I had to pick up something for work, and got to Target around 6am on BF. They didn't have what I needed, but they did have $99 flat screen TVs. Talk about an impulse buy! But we used it in the kitchen for two years (we don't need it now.)

Corie
11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Maybe I can catch a plane Thursday night and come too :)

Now that would be awesome!!! :)

sste
11-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Right here in front of this computer . . . waiting for you savvy bargain hunters to post the online deals. :)

alien_host
11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I love Black Friday and will be out early...although I do not like how things are getting earlier and earlier. Used to be 6am then 5am now 4am...too early IMO.

DH says I only get up super-early for 2 things...well 3 but one doesn't apply anymore:
1) Catch a flight to Aruba/Carribean
2) Feed a baby
3) Black Friday

Thankfully DH has the day off so I hit up the stores super early and get back when they are having breakfast/watching TV.

JenaW
11-10-2010, 09:15 AM
I'll be the lone one out--I LOVE the excitement of black Friday! It doesn't get too bad here (unless you go to Toys R Us or Walmart--which I do not plan on doing!). I usually go with my mom if she is in town, or a girlfriend. It's just a fun way to kick off the holiday shopping season. And then we do lunch, come home for turkey leftovers for dinner, watch some movies.

I'm with you. I don't get up SUPER INSANELY early, but my 2 cousins (who are more like the sisters I never had), plus their mom and sometimes mine, always get together and go out. I rarely have anything I really want or need. It is more just for the fun, craziness, and family time. Thanksgiving is my MILs holiday, and it is usually very stressful having her around, so I jump at the chance to get away, even if it is only for a few minutes. DH knows it is my "girls" time, and he always takes the kids somewhere for the day (zoo, children's museum). Once we did the midnight madness at the outlets an hour away. That was crazy, but we did score a few deals. Again, for me it is not really about the shopping, but an excuse to get some fun girls time out.

KrisM
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Wow. What stores are open that late? Sounds fun to me.

Momof3Labs
11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow. What stores are open that late? Sounds fun to me.

Some outlet malls open up at 9pm or 10pm Thursday night. The traffic near our local one always makes the news!

I usually go out, sometimes with my parents and sometimes we go separately but meet up somewhere along the way. I get out around 7am or so, nothing crazy. I hit Target for my price adjustments (I buy my stuff on Wednesday and as long as you take back your receipt when the sale prices are good, they will price adjust for you) and whatever else sounds good. I avoid Wal-Mart, TRU and Best Buy like the plague.

Then I come back and watch the online deals.

Last year I grabbed a number of deals online on Thursday - amazon was matching a lot of the BF sales.

Dream
11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I'll be at the same place I'm every black friday.... at work!!:hopmad:

DrSally
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Some outlet malls open up at 9pm or 10pm Thursday night. The traffic near our local one always makes the news!

I usually go out, sometimes with my parents and sometimes we go separately but meet up somewhere along the way. I get out around 7am or so, nothing crazy. I hit Target for my price adjustments (I buy my stuff on Wednesday and as long as you take back your receipt when the sale prices are good, they will price adjust for you) and whatever else sounds good. I avoid Wal-Mart, TRU and Best Buy like the plague.

Last year I grabbed a number of deals online on Thursday - amazon was matching a lot of the BF sales.

That's a good tip on the Target PA's. Maybe I'll shop the day before for what I want and go in Fri during the day for PA's.

designermv
11-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Putting up my Christmas tree and decorations, with my girls by my side and a mimosa in my hand.

arivecchi
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Hopefully, still in my turkey coma.:yeahthat:

I have never shopped on BF. I get plenty of Christmas deals here and I don't have to get up early, leave the house and fight hordes of people!

TwinFoxes
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Putting up my Christmas tree and decorations, with my girls by my side and a mimosa in my hand.

Nice! :)

brittone2
11-10-2010, 03:26 PM

That's our usual too :) Not going to be doing that this year, but most years that's how we like to celebrate. We usually pop some popcorn, put on the holiday music, and mommy and daddy celebrate with some spiked hot chocolate or other yummy goodness :)

hellokitty
11-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I hit Target for my price adjustments (I buy my stuff on Wednesday and as long as you take back your receipt when the sale prices are good, they will price adjust for you) and whatever else sounds good. .

Really??? They will do this w/o giving you a hard time? I'd love to be able to take advantage of this. I stood in line at target several yrs ago for almost 2 hrs, and then when the doors opened like over 100 ppl cut in line, which was no fair to ppl standing in line at all. I got a few items that I wanted, but my friend didn't get the coveted laptop.

Momof3Labs
11-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Really??? They will do this w/o giving you a hard time? I'd love to be able to take advantage of this. I stood in line at target several yrs ago for almost 2 hrs, and then when the doors opened like over 100 ppl cut in line, which was no fair to ppl standing in line at all. I got a few items that I wanted, but my friend didn't get the coveted laptop.

Really. It is their policy, after all, to give PAs on items that go on sale for a lower price within a week (or so). And if they declined, I was fully prepared to return the items (they were in the trunk of my car). Now, some things that are super limited in quantity like laptops may not be out on Wednesday, but I'm not after those things - usually just random toys and DVDs.

DebbieJ
11-10-2010, 07:18 PM
On Black Friday I am going to forgo all shopping to meet MIKE HOLMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is having a book signing event at a bookstore here. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

rlu
11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
MIL's. We haven't done the early morning thing for probably 20 years. I usually don't see anything in the ads worth the hassle.

Years ago we would go to Meryvn's for their freebie handout, but that was like 7am, nothing crazy.

KrisM
11-10-2010, 10:58 PM

I've never heard of the outlet mall thing. I'm going to be out Melinda's way on BF and maybe I'll see if my SIL wants to do that. Sounds fun.

I do the Target PAs, too. I usually shop earlier than Wednesday. The adjust for 2 weeks, so no need to wait. I've never had an issue at all.

hellokitty
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Really. It is their policy, after all, to give PAs on items that go on sale for a lower price within a week (or so). And if they declined, I was fully prepared to return the items (they were in the trunk of my car). Now, some things that are super limited in quantity like laptops may not be out on Wednesday, but I'm not after those things - usually just random toys and DVDs.

Thanks! This actually works out, b/c on Wed, it will just be the baby and me, while DH takes the older boys and my bil/sil and their kids to the waterpark. :) Looks like the baby and I will be doing some shopping at target!