PDA

View Full Version : Help me set my DH up to take care of our two DDs away from home

citymama
11-09-2010, 02:34 AM
DH and the 2 kids will be accompanying me on a 5 day (gulp) work trip coming up soon. I will need to work during the days, but we will spend the evenings together and he will bring DD2 by to nurse during breaks. (That's pretty much the reason they're coming - so DD2 can nurse!).

But I have no idea what he is going to do with them and how he will manage them both. I want to do everything I can to set him up well for this ordeal! DD1 is a bundle of energy, and what I would describe as high maintenance. I think 75% of our spare time ends up going to some form of DD1 entertainment and care. DD2 is mellow and easy going, but she's a 6 month old who needs to be watched at all times (especially at a B&B away from home) and will need interaction and basic care, including being put down for naps, changed, etc.

What are the kinds of things I should pack or set up to help him not go completely nuts?

The place we're staying is a mile from the meeting center so I won't be around to help at all during the day. It is a couple of hours drive from here so we can take supplies from home. I figured he would need/benefit from:
--bouncy seat for baby so he can put her down
--pack n play
--sling/Ergo
--art supplies for DD1
--books/toys for both
--DVDs and books on tape for DD1

Any particularly cool and unmessy art projects or activity books you'd recommend for DD1? Things he should do or not do with 2 kids of those ages (4.5 yrs and 6 months) as a solo parent away from home?

I am sooo stressed out about this trip! He seems remarkably calm though...TIA for any advice!

wendibird22
11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
When DH and DD1 came with me on a work trip a few years ago, DD21 was 6mos and we brought our superyard. It was a great way to give her some roaming room (she was crawling) but keep her out of trouble.

Is there an indoor pool nearby? DH took DD1 swimming every day and that not only occupied time but tired her out.

JBaxter
11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
He's their Dad ... Let him wing it with the stuff you have planned he may not do things exactly the way you do but its not like he is some stranger your dropping you kids with Im sure he can handle it just fine.

wellyes
11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
e's their Dad ... Let him wing it with the stuff you have planned he may not do things exactly the way you do but its not like he is some stranger your dropping you kids with Im sure he can handle it just fine.

I agree with this. If he's calm about it, let him manage it. He'll forget things that you think are elementary, and he'll think of things you never would have imagined but will be fun. I know if I tried to tell my DH how to play with DD he'd be grateful for the suggestion but pretty much ignore it anyway ---- and they'd be fine.

Dr C
11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Do you have an I Pad? You can download kids games for DD1. DH recently got an IPad for his birthday and we brought it along on a crosscountry flight and it was a GODSEND for DS (same age as your DD1). Lots of the free apps are even quasi-educational so I didn't feel that guilty. It's also a decent bribe (if you do xxx you can play with the ipad for 10 minutes). If you don't have an Ipad, a laptop computer could function similarly.
Are there attractions nearby that he can take the kids? Aquarium, childrens museum, etc? Even a new playground is a big hit, and I'm SURE there's one of those where you're going.
Beyond that, I'd bring lots of books, simple art supplies (coloring books, washable crayons, maybe a sticker book), maybe a magnadoodle, some legos, etc. Basically toys that are portable, quiet, and not too messy (primarily for when DD2 is napping).
Don't stress too much--I'm sure your DH will be just fine!

daniele_ut
11-09-2010, 12:38 PM
He's their Dad ... Let him wing it with the stuff you have planned he may not do things exactly the way you do but its not like he is some stranger your dropping you kids with Im sure he can handle it just fine.

Absolutely! DH has come with me on several extended (I'm talking 8 weeks here) work trips to take care of our kids while I'm working. Honestly, he's WAY better at it than me! He's a teacher so he's off in the summer and I'm the lighting director for a large outdoor production every summer that takes us across the country for weeks. The kids always have a blast with him

They watch movies, swim, play board games, go to the park (new parks are always a treat), hit Sonic for happy hour slushies, paint, draw, read.

longtallsally05
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Is there an indoor pool nearby? DH took DD1 swimming every day and that not only occupied time but tired her out.

Uh, I'd say NO pools and NO parks. If your DH has to rescue DD1, then DD2 will be left unattended. Bad things can happen to unattended babies in just moments.

fortato
11-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Parks are ok...he can put the baby in the Ergo and still attend to DD1. He should be capable of at least doing that!!!

maestramommy
11-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree, parks are great. They can run around to let off steam.

OP, if your Dh seems calm, let him do things his way. Sometimes my dh doesn't think of elementary things; OTOH, he comes up with creative ways to play with them that I never think of! I'm sure they will be just fine!

citymama
11-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I agree with this. If he's calm about it, let him manage it. He'll forget things that you think are elementary, and he'll think of things you never would have imagined but will be fun. I know if I tried to tell my DH how to play with DD he'd be grateful for the suggestion but pretty much ignore it anyway ---- and they'd be fine.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to tell him how to play with them! He's waaaay better at handling them together than I am. And an awesome dad and caregiver at the best of times.

No, my post was about what kind of things we could pack or prepare for that would a) ensure DD1 was entertained and out of trouble b) while keeping DD2 safe and basic needs cared for. So while there is a pool and hot tub there, my concern is more about how to keep DD1 away from it because 1 parent and 2 kids (one of them a baby) in a pool is a baaad idea!

DH is also not a good packer or preparer of supplies - I do that advance thinking. He wings it as he goes, but I want to help to the extent I can so he has the supplies he needs before finding himself in a kid-unfriendly B&B with 2 little ones with vastly different needs.

The super yard suggestion is great. We don't have one unfortunately, but maybe the PnP can substitute for it. Parks/playgrounds are great. I'll research ahead of time where the nearest ones are. He'll have DD2 in the Ergo like the PP said. I think playground, cafe/lunch spot, nap time/quiet time in the B&B and then maybe a walk or playground in the late afternoon is probably a good day!

mikala
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/ has a lot of craft suggestions. You could also take something like a magnadoodle for DD1 to draw without mess.

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2010/06/travel-craft-box.html

Weather permitting my favorite clean outdoor activity with kiddos is water painting. Hand them a bucket and a few paintbrushes and they can paint the concrete endlessly as the water evaporates before they are finished.

Beth24
11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
If you're staying in a B&B maybe a monitor so he can take DD1 downstairs to play while DD2 is napping?

citymama
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
If you're staying in a B&B maybe a monitor so he can take DD1 downstairs to play while DD2 is napping?

Monitor is a great idea! Why didn't I think of it?

Thanks for those links to activities mikala.