PDA

View Full Version : I honestly have no idea what to get my boys for their 5th B'day or Christmas : (

SammyeGail
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
One thing I know is my MIL is going to go in mostly (us partly) for a touch screen laptop, that will be a HUGE present for Jonas. They have a touch screen monitor at his autism school and he just doesn't understand why ours at home doesn't do it also. His fine motor skills are lacking, I have tried to work with him using the mouse, he has let me know he has no interest in learning.

Noah asked for a guitar. Any recommendation for a boy just turning 5 who is hard on his toys and has no idea how to play a guitar? I think he likes the ones that have neat graphics.

I really have no idea what else to get them. I wanted to get a marble run, but Jonas is bad about putting things in his mouth, I doubt he would like marbles, but I can just see marbles and marbles all over the place, :nono:, but then again I guess thats what you get with little boys ;).

A guitar and marble run is all I can think of, any suggestions? Pls help! They just have so much already. I thought about going thru the bottom of the big tote DH bought to put their toys in (not a good idea) and letting them discover 'new' toys they have forgotten about :rotflmao:.

geochick
11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Before I read your post I was going to say Lego, but since putting small stuff in the mouth is a problem, ...hmmm...maybe a bunch of Lego Duplo. You don't have to worry much about fine motor with Duplo.

Good luck with this. Take a trip through a toy store. You'll get inspired.

hellokitty
11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Do you have TRIO? My boys are die hard lego fans, but a friend got them a trio set last yr and my boys LOVE it. They use it just as much as their lego and the pieces are not as small. I actually bought several additional sets from amazon last holiday season, b/c they were such a great price, b/c my boys loved the trio so much. It is easier to use than lego too, so if your son needs to work on his FMS, this would be good practice. The larger kid knex are good too, but if I had to pick btwn the two, I would pick the trio.

wimama
11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Does Noah want a toy guitar or a real one to learn how to play guitar. Amazon has this real 1/2 sized one.

http://www.amazon.com/Amigo-Size-Classical-Guitar-Children/dp/B0002IHETU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289315098&sr=8-2

Toysrus, has a bunch of little guitars as well. I would stay away from marbles and small Legos if Jonas still puts thing in his mouth. There are some really cute Duplo Toy Story, Cars and Thomas sets. I have noticed that even the older boys at after school care play with the Duplo train sets. Do they have Geotrax? Magnatiles? Unit Blocks? Full size Automoblox?

What kind of toys do they like? What are they into?

Do you have any Crayon Rocks? They could be a great stocking stuffer. I bought some for my DS because I heard that they are good for fine motor. They force a child to hold the crayon rock in a position, similar to the position you need to develop for holding a pencil or regular crayon. My DS pencil grip was lacking. He has fun coloring with them. (Although, they could be possible choking hazards, because they are kind of small.)

http://www.amazon.com/Crayon-Rocks-Sixteen-Colors-Cotton/dp/B002RBH18Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1289315698&sr=1-2

http://www.crayonrocks.net/

alirebco
11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
plasma car? playmobil? although that is also small pieces. magnatiles could also be a good gift if you get the big set so that way they both have enough to play with. what about some dress up stuff?

shishamo
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
bicycle- if you don't have one yet, and Razor scooter is perfect for 5 year olds.
We don't have one but all my kids likes to play with Plasma car, too. They are 6,8, and 10.

Tondi G
11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Magformers?

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.T30242.desc.Magformers-48Piece-3D-Magnetic-Building-Set-w-4-Shapes