PDA

View Full Version : Carpet as choking hazard?

crl
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
We are in a rental and it has cheap carpet, of course. The baby keeps finding small bits of the carpet to put in her mouth. Yikes. Along the edge to the tile, there are plastic strings, kind of like fishing line. I thought I cut them all, but she keeps finding new ones-- it is almost like the carpet is fraying there? And then the carpet sheds (it is not new) so there are little fibers, like very short strings. I would say I need to vacuum more often, but I've found them right after vacuuming too. The baby finds all of these and tries to get them in her mouth. This area is her main play area so she spends a lot of time there and I can't supervise her perfectly 100 percent of the time, yk?

So, I hate carpet in general. I wanted them to put in laminate when we moved in but they wanted over $2000 for just the living room-dinning room (in addition to the charge for materials they were charging $6 a square foot to install and an "administrative" fee). So we said no thanks.

Now I'm feeling like they should replace the carpet with something that isn't hazardous to my baby at their cost. But maybe I am over reacting? I've never had carpet with with a baby before.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Catherine

elizabethkott
11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Yikes!
Any way you could get some of those foam floor tiles to put down over the carpet in her main play space? At least as a temporary solution...
Any way you could price out laminate on your own, and try to find something less expensive? (And WTH is an "administrative fee" for? It's not like there should be alot of paperwork involved in replacing carpet with laminate...)

TwoBees
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
How much longer will you be there? You can always run duct dape along the edge of the carpet where it meets the tile. Ugly, but it should work.

crl
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
We just signed a year lease so at least another year. And likely longer because I really like this place (except for the nasty carpet and a few other annoyances).

The problem with doing it ourselves (which we contemplated) is that they will charge us to rip it out and replace it with more of the nasty carpet when we leave.

So this isn't just how carpet is?

Thanks!

Catherine

egoldber
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
So this isn't just how carpet is?

This is how poor quality, old carpet that was probably not really installed well in the first place is.

Poor quality carpet definitely sheds like that, and the strings are indeed from the carpet fraying.

crl
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh, and good idea on the foam tiles, but she can and does Army crawl all over the entire space on a regular basis so I would have to cover a LOT of floor space and I think it would be really hard to vacuum then.

Thanks!
Catherine

wellyes
11-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I'd buy a big area rug and just put it directly on top of the lousy installed stuff. A knock-off but very pretty "persian" rugs that is pretty large (10x12 or so) is about $100-$150. Just be sure to air it out for a couple days for outgassing after you buy it.

crl
11-09-2010, 10:56 AM
This is how poor quality, old carpet that was probably not really installed well in the first place is.

Poor quality carpet definitely sheds like that, and the strings are indeed from the carpet fraying.

Thanks. I was thinking that, but my only previous carpet experiences as an adult have involved ripping it out, so I wasn't sure.

Catherine

crl
11-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd buy a big area rug and just put it directly on top of the lousy installed stuff. A knock-off but very pretty "persian" rugs that is pretty large (10x12 or so) is about $100-$150. Just be sure to air it out for a couple days for outgassing after you buy it.

I'd probably need three of this to cover the whole space where she plays. And then it would be awfully tough to vacuum the carpet underneath. We all have dust mite allergies so just not vacuuming under wouldn't work very well. . . .

Catherine

TwoBees
11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
What about this?
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Carpet-Carpet-Tools-Accessories/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgyZba80/R-100141363/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

crl
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure how we would install the transition strip without damaging the adjacent tile? And it would not solve the shedding problem.

I appreciate all the ideas. Does everyone think that we should be solving this problem? Because I was honestly thinking the landlord should be solving it.

Thanks!

Catherine

egoldber
11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I think the landlord should replace the carpet. Clearly it is worn out.

c&j04
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Does everyone think that we should be solving this problem? Because I was honestly thinking the landlord should be solving it.

I would ask the landlord but quite honestly I doubt they'd feel it was their problem to be solving. I know ours wouldn't charge us to "upgrade" to laminate (with pre-approval) but they are very easy-going and value our ideas as DH is in construction.

crl
11-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, I have decided that it is the landlord's problem. They are responsible for providing the flooring and what they have provided is hazardous, likely due to being worn out. I called the work order desk so we'll see what happens. My guess is that the best case will be an offer of new carpet.

Thanks,
Catherine

citymama
11-09-2010, 02:27 PM
crl, I recommend foam floor tiles and a Superyard. We have HW floors, but they're not exactly the cleanest at all times. :bag I bought some foam floor tiles and voila, we have a play area! They're $17.99 at Costco right now (I bought mine off a neighbor for $5!) and you could probably get 2 sets so you can make a large play space. They're easy to clean and maintain as well. Soon she'll be walking and won't be bending down to pick bits of carpet up - this is a really unique stage, 7-10 months, when they're first exploring their surroundings. As soon as my DD could cruise (around 8-9 months) she stopped picking up junk from the floor and trying to eat it. Then we had to worry about what was on our shelves and within her reach standing...

ETA You don't want to be replacing the carpet during this time and creating more hazards for her. I don't think the landlord will agree to do so just bc your DD is crawling. IME with landlords, they drag their feet as long as possible...and you couldn't replace the carpet or rip it up without his/her permission. You'd be liable to lose your deposit if you did.

egoldber
11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think they should replace the carpet because it's a hazard to your DD. I think they should replace it because it is worn out, shedding and fraying.

If it were me, I might offer to split the cost of new carpet or flooring with the landlord.

ETA: I don't see why replacing the carpet should be a hazard? It only takes a few hours.

edurnemk
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
The problem with doing it ourselves (which we contemplated) is that they will charge us to rip it out and replace it with more of the nasty carpet when we leave.

Really???? If you upgrade to laminate, they'd want you to downgrade to carpet again before you leave??? That's crazy! If you put in the laminate, I'd think the landlord should be thankful, and should probably opt to leave it, since it would allow him to rent the place more easily or for more $ in the future. That's my opinion at least, I hate carpet.

crl
11-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Really???? If you upgrade to laminate, they'd want you to downgrade to carpet again before you leave??? That's crazy! If you put in the laminate, I'd think the landlord should be thankful, and should probably opt to leave it, since it would allow him to rent the place more easily or for more $ in the future. That's my opinion at least, I hate carpet.

Yeah, that's what I think too. But our landlord is actually the federal government and anything non standard is not acceptable, regardless of whether it is better. Someone is coming to take a look at it today or tomorrow.

Catherine