PDA

View Full Version : Updated: How long does fresh ginger last in the fridge?

Indianamom2
11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice about the ginger. I made Pioneer Woman's Beef with Snow Peas recipe
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/print-recipe/95383/#sizeFP
and it was YUMMY! Very, very highly recommend giving it a try! Even DH gave it a definite two-thumbs up!

Sadly, I've never used fresh ginger before, but I bought some for a recipe that I want to try tonight. Problem is, I bought it a couple weeks ago, hoping to try this recipe and am just now getting around to it.

It's been in the fridge ever since I bought it. Is it still okay to use?

Thanks!

lkarp
11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I use it if it is still firm after you peel it. It should still be okay after a couple of weeks. I usually peel it after buying it and then freeze it.

twowhat?
11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
It might just be a little dried out - cut/peel off any dried out parts and use it!

We keep ginger in the freezer. Freeze it whole. Break off knobs as needed. Thaw slightly, and then it can be peeled, sliced, grated, etc and used just like fresh ginger.

truly scrumptious
11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Take a look at it and as long as it isn't soft and mushy, and doesn't have anything fuzzy growing on it, you should be fine.

Indianamom2
11-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I knew someone would know.

melonpan
11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
fresh ginger is delicious in cooking. i hope you like it! what are you cooking?

lchang25000
11-09-2010, 06:29 PM
We keep ginger in the freezer. Freeze it whole. Break off knobs as needed. Thaw slightly, and then it can be peeled, sliced, grated, etc and used just like fresh ginger.

:yeahthat:

Indianamom2
11-09-2010, 06:58 PM
fresh ginger is delicious in cooking. i hope you like it! what are you cooking?

Well, the plan is to make Pioneer Woman's Beef with Snow Peas recipe:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/beef-with-snow-peas/

We'll see how it turns out!