PDA

View Full Version : My Twinn versus American Girl?

spanannie
11-10-2010, 12:08 AM
We only have Bitty Baby and DD (6) wants an American Girl type doll for Christmas. First she said she wanted an AG that looked like her, then the My Twinn catalog came and she said she wanted one of those. I've never heard anything about My Twinn. I'd love to know more about how they compare. I'm assuming the AG clothes will fit the My Twinn dolls, too. Thanks!

bubbaray
11-10-2010, 12:32 AM
OMG, the My Twinns are soooo cute!

ha98ed14
11-10-2010, 01:19 AM
I tinkered around on their website for a while and from looking at the Adopt A Friend Dolls, I think their dolls with blue eyes look possessed. If your DD has blue eyes, I would get a AG. JMHO.

craftysierra
11-10-2010, 01:32 AM
The my twinn dolls are 23" while AG are 18"

Sierra

spanannie
11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
I tinkered around on their website for a while and from looking at the Adopt A Friend Dolls, I think their dolls with blue eyes look possessed. If your DD has blue eyes, I would get a AG. JMHO.

She does have blue eyes. Thanks for bringing this up.

spanannie
11-10-2010, 08:21 AM
The my twinn dolls are 23" while AG are 18"

Sierra

I thought they were the same size! That's probably going to be the deal breaker, since DD wants AG clothes for the doll -- far cuter than the MT clothes.

Momof3Labs
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I got a MT baby quite a few years ago, when DS1 was little. The shape of the doll when sitting is *really* weird - it is not jointed at the hip and shoulder like AG dolls. It's more like one solid (stuffed fabric) piece that has a wire armature that flexes, if you can envision that. I think that they were posable (may or may not still be) and that's why but it makes it hard to display the doll.

Their CS was also abysmal. My doll didn't show up when expected (mid-October) and they had shut down their website and phones for the holidays because they were backed up on orders. I ended up going to the BBB website to find a phone number for the company that actually reached a person and not a recording.

ohiomom1121
11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
My nieces have them and I agree they are a little freaky looking (blue eyes!!). I'd go American Girl. SIL said the My Twinn never gets played with but the AG dolls do.

Seitvonzu
11-10-2010, 03:22 PM
my twinns are HUGE. i'm on an adult doll collecting email group and there was a member who at one point had OVER TWENTY my twinn dolls in her house....they were literally TAKING OVER-- huge!!!!

that said, they can look cute, but you are right, the clothes aren't nearly as diverse or nice as american girl clothes. they lack the detail that the AG sets have. also-- my twinn bodies can be pretty weird. the feet are HUGE. (just like the restof the doll). the posability is what makes the body weird- and that might not bug your child, but , it might?

the company has also had lots of problems in the past (they've stopped & restarted over and over since the 90s) and i'd be nervous hanging my christmas gift reputation on them (or santa's reputation). like anything that you "customize" --- people often seem disappointed with there dolls and from what i've heard it's a "too bad for you" situation when you complain to the company. honestly, the company probably shouldn't promise a doll that is going to be a "twin" to people's kids-- that's just asking for people to have high expectations which are dashed.

people seem to be more satisfied getting the "ready-made"/friends dolls because you get what you see. these can also be a lot cheaper (or they were in the past)