PDA

View Full Version : g-mama, I made your chicken and dumpling soup . . .

Aishe
11-10-2010, 01:51 AM
The one in this thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=370391

Holy moly, that is some serious comfort food! We all have colds right now and this could not have been a more perfect meal for us. This is definitely a new family favorite - and we eat a lot of soup, so a recipe really has to be remarkable to catch our attention. Thank you for posting it!

g-mama
11-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm so glad you told me!! You made my day! Isn't it fantastic? Thank you for taking the time to let me know you made it and enjoyed it. :)

Aishe
11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Had leftovers for dinner tonight and it was even better. DH said we should send you flowers!:-)

g-mama
11-11-2010, 08:37 AM
:love-retry:

athompson
11-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I made this after seeing this thread and it is "the best soup in the world" according to my six year old daughter. My other daughters and DH seemed to concur, but alas, they were too busy inhaling the soup to verbalize this.
Great soup. Thank you.

beckyr88
11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow! Just made this soup tonight and it is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!!

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh my goodness, I want chicken soup! Can you repost the recipie on here to go with these rave reviews?

love_a_latte
11-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I also made it tonight, was coming here to dig up this thread and here it was, right on top! It was Fantastic! Thank you sooooo much for the recipe g-mama!

g-mama
11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
So glad people are feeling the chicken 'n dumpling love!

Here's the recipe:

Chicken and Dumpling Soup

Chicken and Broth:
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
2-3 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds) (I sometimes use a rotisserie chicken and pull the meat off of it to get both dark and white meat but you could do either)

Vegetables:
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1 onion, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Dumplings:
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or sage
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil

In a large pot, boil the chicken broth, water and chicken breasts until the chicken is cooked through and tender (about 15 minutes). Remove the chicken from the pot, reserving the broth in the pot, and shred the chicken with two forks. Set the chicken aside and keep the broth warm on the stove.

Note: If using pre-cooked chicken, just boil the broth and water.

While the chicken is boiling, in a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the carrots and onions. Saute for about 6-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the vegetables to the hot broth in the pot after the chicken has been removed. Add salt, thyme and pepper to the vegetable/broth mixture and stir to combine. Heat the soup to a simmer.

In a small bowl, blend ½ cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour with a wire whisk until smooth. Whisking vigorously, slowly add the flour mixture into the hot vegetables and broth and whisk until well combined. Add the reserved chicken and cook, stirring gently for one minute.

For the dumplings, in a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, milk and oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined (don't overmix, it is okay if there are a few dry spots of flour here and there).

Heat the soup to boiling and drop teaspoonful amounts (the dumplings should be fairly small, they'll expand while cooking) of dumpling dough into the boiling soup, covering the entire surface of the soup (don't make more than one layer of dumplings). Reduce the heat to simmering, cover and let the dumplings cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Do not lift the lid of the pot while the dumplings cook.

When the dumplings have cooked fully, remove the lid and gently stir the dumplings to break them apart. Serve.

boolady
11-18-2010, 10:30 PM
This sounds so good. We may have to give this a try this weekend, because other than the sour cream, we've got all of the ingredients. ETA: Thanks for the recipe, Kristen!

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for posting, Im going to give it a go as well!

DrSally
11-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Sounds really good. I'm bookmarking this for the future. I've never added sour cream to dumplings, does it make them fluffier?

♥ms.pacman♥
11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
OK i have to go make this tomorrow...DH is getting over a cold and my sitter will be coming tmw afternoon to watch DS so this is perfect! thanks for posting

etaylor75
11-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I made this for dinner the other night, super easy and really tasty! Everyone loved it and the sour cream does seem to make the dumplings more tender.

I'll definitely make it again, thanks for the recipe!!

Erin

♥ms.pacman♥
11-19-2010, 08:45 PM
ok i made this tonite, and indeed, this one's a keeper!! thanks so much for posting. it wasn't that hard to make afterall (i bought pre-shredded carrots to save time :)). DH loved it (went back for seconds), and DS seemed to enjoy it too (i just gave him pieces of chicken and dumplings).

i loved how hearty the soup is..i didn't think it would be "enough" for a dinner but it totally was. i think the best part was the dumplings. they are like little pieces of heaven..sooo yummy!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
ok just thot this thread deserves a bump, since i made this recipe again today since i've been sick with a cold this past week and all i had been craving was this chicken soup!! :) anyway it came out great (again), and i even gave DS some for dinner today and he LOVED it as well...the chicken is perfect for tearing in little pieces for a little one to grab and eat. DH is out of town, so DS & I have this soup all to ourselves...woohoo :)

christiedavid3
12-05-2010, 11:16 PM
This soup sounds amazing! My DH is one of those obnoxiously super picky eaters, so I know he wouldn't eat it, but DS and I would!

infomama
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
On the stove now. My dumplings kind of sunk so who knows what I did there. Can't wait to taste it!

karstmama
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
yep, i made it too, last night! it was easy & a success. thank you for sharing the recipe!