PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on puppets and puppet theaters?

junebaby07
11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I was thinking of getting a not too expensive puppet theater (maybe a doorway one) with some puppets as a shared "surprise" christmas give for my 2 girls - age 3.5 and 15 months for christmas.

My 15 month old really likes puppets and I thought maybe my 3.5 year old could entertain her - surely is wishful thinking.

Thoughts on the different puppet theaters out there? Does yours get a lot of play? Good puppets for a reasonable price?

brittone2
11-10-2010, 10:39 AM
We've had puppets for a few years now. My kids are getting into playing with them on their own now more at ages 6.5 and almost 4. They do puppet shoes for the baby.

Prior to this they really weren't that into using them on their own. DS1 was not into them that much at 3.5 (but enjoyed me using them), however DD seems to bring out that part of his personality...and now he's more into them.

Not sure if that helps?

stillplayswithbarbies
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Folkmanis makes the best puppets. They get played with as stuffed animals as often as puppets at our house, riding in a toy stroller or just hugged and loved.

I've seen them at Borders and with the 40% off coupons now you can get them for a good price.

Seitvonzu
11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
i another bigbig fan of folkmanis... we have a HUGE tyranosaurus who is currently on top of our rose petal cottage...the other day my not yet 3 year old was riding around the basement on a ride-on saying "the dinosaur is after me!" she has loved him since she was 5 months old (honestly) -- but he is HUGE-- she is just now starting to stick her hand in his mouth and "get" that she can make his mouth work that way. we also have several that we picked up last year at the border's toy sale--they are a better size and they are so well done. *i* have the large peacock and lucy has the sea otter, the phoenix, the baby black bear...(i'm probably forgetting something), we also have a few finger puppets too (love these!!!)-- a parakeet, a yak, a pirate... lucy is just starting to get into these.

that said- lu seems to like her stick jacklatern puppet she made at preschool more than any of that. maybe not, but she DOES like to "make" puppets-- bags, socks, sticks all make great puppets. cheap and creative! even if you don't go *that* bare bones, you could get cheaper puppets than folkmanis and they'll be just as fun if you little girls are into puppets. have fun!

kristac
11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Costco has some really cute sets of 4 puppets for $7.99. Santa is bringing DS2 (3.5 years old) a Folkmanis TRex this year (Borders 40% off Q) and I'm encouraging other puppets as gifts from relatives. M&D make some lovely puppets as well.

zoestargrove
11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
The puppets we have only get occasional use and I'm usually the one who thinks to bring them out for play. They enjoy it while they are in the moment, and it gets some serious play for awhile, but I think they find it easier and more satisfying to play make believe with playmobil figures.

That being said, I think it still has a long life at our house even if it is only occasionally.

I love folkmanis plush puppets.

We've had a lot of fun with shadow puppets too.

Look up shadow puppets on etsy and you'll find some beautiful examples.

A shadow puppet theater is easy to make yourself. I bought a black foam board (3 way folded display board) at JoAnnes and cut out a stage. Then I taped Freezer paper over the hole I cut. Just add a lamp and some puppets (which are also easy to make yourself).

ett
11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
We love the Folkmanis puppets here too. DS2 also plays with them like regular stuffed animals.

kristac
11-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Folkmanis puppets are on Totsy today.