PDA

View Full Version : 6th birthday gift for boy who likes art

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
My sons sixth bday is next week and I have no clue what to buy. He totally loves crafts involving cutting, paste, drawing, punching. Any ideas on a craft supply he might love?

kristac
11-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Ed Emberly drawing books

brittone2
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
DS1 is 6.5 and is getting this as part of his Christmas gifts:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Lab-O7066-ArtLab-Design/dp/193285598X

He's a total car nut. I'm hoping he likes it.

Happy almost birthday to your not-so-little anymore guy!

Meatball Mommie
11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Ed Emberly drawing books

:yeahthat: My kids LOVE them

For an older child, origami and paper airplane kits, but I don't think even my 7 year old could do them (well) on his own.

KpbS
11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
This is a really nice set of watercolor paints--they are beautiful.
http://www.amazon.com/Faber-Castell-125012-Watercolor-Paint-Set/dp/B0034JTWJY and free shipping w/ Prime.

justlearning
11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
My son is 7 and I'm planning on buying him watercolor pencils for Christmas. I emailed his art teacher but haven't heard back yet regarding recommendations for the brand that would be the best value.

They're not cheap but my son's done some nice artwork with them last year at school and again this year. I'm attaching a picture I took of a drawing he did with them last month.

ETA that one more idea might be some scrapbooking punchers that cut different shapes (since you mentioned that he likes punching). But the best gift really IMO is giving him a nice space--if he doesn't have one already--to do his craft projects. We do have a "craft loft," which includes an Expedit bookcase, a table, and chairs in our loft space. We have baskets in the bookcase with recycled paper, recycled odds and ends (like strings, boxes, parts of jugs), and lots of crayons, markers, tape, staplers, etc. My sons spend so much time in that space! They do lots of things I'd never think of, e.g., my older son made an American flag (drew it), then "laminated" it with tape, then tied it with the rope to a bamboo pole that came out of a plant I had. That flag is now flying on his fort outside. So those aren't things you really buy but just giving them the opportunity to be creative is the best gift IMO.

Corie
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
The Anti-Coloring Book
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Coloring-Book-Creative-Activities-Ages/dp/0805068422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289410762&sr=8-1

I had this book as a child and LOVED it! So I bought a few for my daughter!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-10-2010, 04:41 PM
My son is 7 and I'm planning on buying him watercolor pencils for Christmas. I emailed his art teacher but haven't heard back yet regarding recommendations for the brand that would be the best value.

They're not cheap but my son's done some nice artwork with them last year at school and again this year. I'm attaching a picture I took of a drawing he did with them last month.

ETA that one more idea might be some scrapbooking punchers that cut different shapes (since you mentioned that he likes punching). But the best gift really IMO is giving him a nice space--if he doesn't have one already--to do his craft projects. We do have a "craft loft," which includes an Expedit bookcase, a table, and chairs in our loft space. We have baskets in the bookcase with recycled paper, recycled odds and ends (like strings, boxes, parts of jugs), and lots of crayons, markers, tape, staplers, etc. My sons spend so much time in that space! They do lots of things I'd never think of, e.g., my older son made an American flag (drew it), then "laminated" it with tape, then tied it with the rope to a bamboo pole that came out of a plant I had. That flag is now flying on his fort outside. So those aren't things you really buy but just giving them the opportunity to be creative is the best gift IMO.

Thanks for your response! Last year he got a set of 50 punchers and he LOVED that gift.
Love your story about the flag!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
:yeahthat: My kids LOVE them

For an older child, origami and paper airplane kits, but I don't think even my 7 year old could do them (well) on his own.

These books are awesome!

MichelleRC
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
DS1 loves the Taro Gomi books (Scribbles, Doodles, etc). He draws with a set of really nice colored pencils, I think they are called Color Giants.

spanannie
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM
My kids enjoy the Klutz books -- especially the ones you use slick paints to make window clings. They can't get enough of those.

Twoboos
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
DD1 just got a Klutz lettering book for her bday. It is really cool!

kristac
11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Maybe too late to get in time for your DS' bday but these cards look fun- I like that you can reuse them over and over. (maybe a good stocking stuffer)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=doodle+cards+usborne&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Adoodle+cards+usborne&ajr=3

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe Bendaroos (you can create alot of things with these)