PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with a nursing problem...

luckytwenty
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
...or suggest where I could go for help? The hospital I delivered at didn't have a great lactation support program. (There wasn't even an LC on duty!!)

It's my left breast. My baby latches on to it and nurses from it, but it usually hurts. When he's really hungry, he'll only go on my right breast, which leaks more and pumps out more milk when I've pumped, but the left one is harder and more uncomfortable. In the beginning (baby is 9 days old) my nipples hurt no matter what side he latched on to for the first 30-60 seconds, and now the right side generally feels fine. The left side is uncomfortable for a much longer time. I struggled to get him on the left no matter what position I try (cradle, football, lying down) while on the right I can do just about anything and he's happy.

I'm starting to hate my left breast!!! Any suggestions on things to try or other nursing resources? I know with my other kids, they preferred a side (probably the right) but it wasn't this bad. It's to the point that I wish I could just use the right one all the time and let the left dry up, but that probably would not be a good idea!

JTsMom
11-10-2010, 01:27 PM
nak- have you tried pumping that one side for just a min. or 2, then latching? just thinking it might be harder to latch if it's extremely full. is that nipple different? have you tried lying down?

if you want to find an lc, maybe call your local LLL leader to ask for a rec?

brittone2
11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
One thing would be to rule out torticollis if you have an upcoming doctor's appt. It is a tight neck muscle that is pretty common on babies and *could* be one (of many) causes of a poor latch on one side/strong breast preference.

Is just your nipple uncomfortable? Any chance you are dealing with thrush?

Is the non preferred side engorged? Have you tried hand expressing a little and seeing if he can latch better after you soften the nipple on that side?

(eta: sorry, xposted w/ Lori)

lizzywednesday
11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Definitely find an LC or LLL group for in-person, hands-on type help. The IBLC website can help point you to board-certified LC's in your area if LLL turns you off.

I also second the pump 'til you get letdown on the left side. Not emptying the breast can lead to problems.

FWIW, my left side is my "problem breast" too and it's been that way since the hospital. It's also my larger breast.

I have to be extra-conscious of getting a good latch on that side or else I have issues. (Most recently, those issues resulted in mastitis, but that's another story.)

Melanie
11-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I would find your local LLL and call them to ask for a local referral:
http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

I had never even gone to a meeting but she was very friendly and helpful to me over the phone.

It took me weeks to get to that point but once I did things really looked up. I only wish I had called them earlier. I had been going down a list of local LCs, maybe from the hospital, and just didn't get the warm-fuzzies.

I would also have baby checked out by a chiropractor to make sure it's not a neck issue, like a PPer mentioned. It could just be as simple as they are uncomfortable facing a certain way. Though with both of mine, there was definitely one side that was easier to nurse on, sometimes that is just how it goes.

brittone2
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Here's some kellymom info:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

marymoo86
11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Ohhhh I just went through this! My ped has a fabulous LC on staff - blows the LC from the hospital out of water! She showed me how to massage the breast to ensure that these 'hard' spots are worked out and that different holds will alleviate different sides/spots.

The pumping station had a great video of showing the deep latch technique - made the world of difference in my bf experience!

http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3228

I am battling a DD that won't stop nursing ::yikes::. I am guessing the 7 day growth spurt is kicking in a day early.

luckytwenty
11-10-2010, 04:37 PM
One thing would be to rule out torticollis if you have an upcoming doctor's appt. It is a tight neck muscle that is pretty common on babies and *could* be one (of many) causes of a poor latch on one side/strong breast preference.

Is just your nipple uncomfortable? Any chance you are dealing with thrush?

Is the non preferred side engorged? Have you tried hand expressing a little and seeing if he can latch better after you soften the nipple on that side?

(eta: sorry, xposted w/ Lori)

I have a check up in two days and will ask the pediatrician. He's had issues with the left side since birth. I don't think it's thrush...no other symptoms of it. I am no longer engorged on the left side and the problem exists even after I've pumped to make the breast softer. He will latch on for a minute, pop off, and I will put him on again and he'll pop off and hunt around as if he;s literally trying to find the other breast. :-(

I will try some of those links to see if I can find some help via LLL. The hospital says they take up to 2 business days to respond to messages and I'd like help sooner rather than later!!

wendibird22
11-10-2010, 04:40 PM
You could try asking on the La Leche League forums. There are some outstanding experienced moms AND LLI leaders on there to answer questions. I've gotten great advice over the years there.

http://forums.llli.org/

luckytwenty
11-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I got some great advice (I hope) by calling the 1-800 number at this site:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/index.cfm?page=ask

I think the problem may be his screaming in protest to nurse on the left...his tongue might be in the wrong position. She suggested trying to nurse from the left when he's not hungry, just to get him comfortable with that side.

And good thing I have a pump, too.

Thanks everyone! :-)

daisymommy
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
It sounds like the nipple on that side may be flatter/not as long and so it doesn't touch the roof his mouth to stimulate him to start sucking.

OR

you have a slow let down on that side, and he is impatient about it, especially if he is used to a quicker, more plentiful let down from your right side.

Once you know which it is, you can go from there. I've experienced both (on my left side no less!) and it all worked out eventually. Hang in there!

nfowife
11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
One thing that worked for me was holding in such a way that the baby was in the same position as on the other (preferred) side. So I used cross cradle on the right but football on the left because baby liked the right better. Baby thought it was the same side and didn't protest as much!

I think it's normal for there to be a preference. Call a different LC! Usually the hospitals don't care if you delivered there so you can call one where you didn't deliver from to speak to them. Or call your local LLL leader.

Hugs!

luckytwenty
11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
It sounds like the nipple on that side may be flatter/not as long and so it doesn't touch the roof his mouth to stimulate him to start sucking.

OR

you have a slow let down on that side, and he is impatient about it, especially if he is used to a quicker, more plentiful let down from your right side.

Once you know which it is, you can go from there. I've experienced both (on my left side no less!) and it all worked out eventually. Hang in there!

You might be on to something! I had flat nipples before I breastfed my middle child and wore Ameda shells to draw them out. My nipples seem much less flat this time but maybe the left one has that problem. I'll give the shells a shot on the left and see if that works.

luckytwenty
11-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Daisymommy, you were right about the flat nipple. I wore a shell for a few hours and successfully nursed from the left side. :-D Thanks for helping me trouble shoot, everyone!! Looks like I won't have to worry about lopsidedness after all.

daisymommy
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
YEAH!!! So glad that my challenge could go on to help someone else :)

brittone2
11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Woot! So glad you figured it out!