PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Christmas gifts

lcarlson90
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Each year I like to make a homemade gift for people that I don't buy presents for like aunts/uncles and co-workers. Last year I did a small jar of pepper jelly (that my boss's wife makes) with a personalized label. This year I don't have any clue what to make.

Does anyone do something similar? Any cute ideas? It doesn't have to be completely homemade. I usually try to keep it under $10 each.

BabyBearsMom
11-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Last year, I made pickled lemons in jars and then wrote up recipes to use with the lemons for co-workers. I have also been known to knit or crochet mittens, slippers, scarves or hats for people.

Raidra
11-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Last year I made fabric coasters for people. They seemed to go over well.

No idea what I'm going to do this year.. I've got tons of ideas for the kids, but not so much the adults. Possibly fabric bowl covers (instead of tin foil or plastic wrap). I dunno if they'd get as much use, though.

hbridge
11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
We do beaded projects every year. DC make necklaces for teacher, key chains for coaches, bracelets for older helpers, ect. We also rolled beeswax candles and made marble magnets (glass marbles painted with magnets glued to the back). In the past I have done jams and spice mixes (for grilling, pizza, ect). Last year we also made scented oil diffusers and bath salts, both are really easy to make.

Probably the one thing that gets the most appreciation are homemade truffles. They take some time, but aren't too difficult. You can get pretty boxes and make a nice presentation. The main problem with working with chocolate is that they have to be made about a week before giving and they don't last very long in my house.

If you want the kids involved, fabric painted aprons are also good.

Before kids I filled huge gift baskets with hand made goodies for all the families (usually 5 or 6 a year), now I just make sure the kids create things themselves to give to the family.

Have fun.

lcarlson90
11-10-2010, 06:17 PM
hbridge - The beeswax candles sound interesting. How did you make them?

hbridge
11-10-2010, 06:22 PM
You can buy the kits. They are essentially sheets of beeswax and wicks. You can get fancy, but we simply rolled the beeswax sheet around the wick. I got the kit at www.atoygarden.com

Melaine
11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I am thinking about doing jars of natural body scrub, at least for the ladies. It's super easy, with sugar, EVOO and coconut oil. You can add scents or spices for fragrance. (I add vanilla for Sugar Cookie). I have crocheted scarves for everyone I know, so I have to move past that idea.
My SIL made coasters for us last year and I really love them. They are 4" x 4" tiles with felt on the bottom and a pattern on the top (she painted polka dots). They are my favorite coasters and we use them all the time.

lcarlson90
11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I just checked out Martha Stewart's web-site and there are a lot of cute ideas. She has directions for the coasters but I don't have a sewing machine so that is out. I think I am going to do a spice rub in a jar and get labels printed for it.