PDA

View Full Version : Best Ages for Dollhouse/Kitchen

Raidra
11-10-2010, 05:29 PM
We already have a wood kitchen set, but Fiona has been talking a lot about some accessories she saw in a toy catalog.. a mixer, toaster, cupcake set, etc. I'd have to come up with some sort of add-on to the kitchen because there isn't any counter space. I also thought she'd like a shopping cart because they've been playing store a lot.

My original plan was to get her a dollhouse for Xmas, though. This one: http://www.constructiveplaythings.com/cgi-bin/s.sh/2.0/product.htm?dept_id=Doll%20Houses%20and%20Accessor ies&pf_id=SAM-05 or this one: http://www.constructiveplaythings.com/cgi-bin/s.sh/2.0/product.htm?dept_id=Doll%20Houses%20and%20Accessor ies&pf_id=DREAM-HOUSE

Obviously, both sets of toys is just too much. Her birthday is in June, so whatever I don't get her now, I could get her for her birthday. She'll be 2.5 at Xmas, then her 3rd birthday is 6 months later. In what order should I give her these?

Thanks!

Seitvonzu
11-10-2010, 08:26 PM
i was going to say to hold off on the dollhouse and do the kitchen things until i clicked on the first dollhouse. typically i think of "dollhouse" as older...but i think a 2.5 year old could handle a smaller doll house fine. we had a more developmental dollhouse and DD played with it from 15 months on....the furniture was super basic and undetailed. not even as complex as the first link... it has housed cars, stuffed animals, animal figures, the dollhouse family & dragons. yes it's hard to know whether something is a chair or table, but oh well, didn't bother my kid (and the whole thing was very inexpensive so i didn't bat an eye buying plan toys "nursery" furniture...which really did solidify my child's interest in the dollhouse)

so, long answer longer (sorry), if you are going with the first dollhouse-- i'd do that now to optimize how long she'll be interested, kitchen stuff later (the stuff you mentioned was more functional/realism oriented, so it seems fiona will just get more into that sort of play as she gets older... my nearly 3 year old is just starting to be super into that (the "appliances"--mixer,coffeepot,toaster etc). you could always get a set of cupcakes or something (tons of options on cupcakes...they are a "hot" play food ;)). if you go with the second dollhouse, that could be after the kitchen stuff- seems like there is more to keep her interest for longer/older.

Jenn27
11-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I would do the dollhouse and maybe a shopping cart first. That way she has more diversity. Some people think 2 is young for a dollhouse, but I bought DD a dollhouse for her second birthday (which is Saturday!) and I think she will lve it! She plays with her Little People farm every day and gravitates to the dollhouses at the museum (as well as the 'little buggies'). Then when she gets the kitchen accessories fore her birthday, her kitchen will have a new focus after 'shopping' for several months!

KpbS
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
I would give the kitchen gifts for Christmas and the dollhouse for her birthday.

LaCostaMom
11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I would give the kitchen gifts for Christmas and the dollhouse for her birthday.

This is what I would do, too, since she's actually asking for those kitchen accessories.

MommyAllison
11-12-2010, 05:41 PM
This is what I would do, too, since she's actually asking for those kitchen accessories.

I agree. I didn't look at the dollhouses you linked, but DD just received a dollhouse for her 5th birthday, and both she and my 2.5y/o DS like to play with it. 6 months from now, she'll still love it. And it's fun to get what you asked for on Christmas. :)