PDA

View Full Version : when did you head to the hospital (w/ regards to experiencing labor symptoms)?

brgnmom
11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering when you decided to head to the hospital or birthing center during your first or subsequent labor & delivery experiences. FTMs, you can feel free to respond w/ when you plan to head to the hospital. I also realize that many of you may have chosen to have a homebirth experience as well.

w/ my first, I had a couple of "false" alarms... regular contractions around 5 minutes apart, ~1 minute-long, and I went to the hospital two different times before they actually let me stay. I was about 3 cm dilated during both those visits, but I wasn't admitted b/c I was planning for a non-medicated birth and my doctor wanted me to labor at home for as long as possible. during my 3rd trip to L&D, I was still about 3 cm dilated, but b/c I saw bright red blood and my contractions were stronger, I was finally admitted that morning (40.5 wks) and my DS was born the next day. I ended up needing the epi/low-level pitocin b/c my labor was stalled at 4 cm, but with the epi/pitocin combo, I was able to dilate from 4->10 cm in 6 hours or less.

I have my 40th-week appointment this Friday, and I'm pretty certain that my OB will suggest membrane sweeping as a possibility... primarily b/c my original due date by LMP was actually in October (25th), and I don't think I've started to dilate even. my OB did a quick ultrasound last week and reassured me that the amniotic fluid levels are good... she didn't estimate the baby's weight b/c she doesn't think that the ultrasound is very accurate for that purpose. I've read prior threads about membrane sweeping being the most natural induction method, and I think I'm open to it possibly. I guess I'm curious about how/when you decided that it was time to head to the hospital/birthing center's L&D unit. I didn't experience the classic bag of waters breaking scenario w/ my first pregnancy, and even if I had regular contractions during the first case, the L&D unit still didn't admit me until I observed bright red blood. TIA.

lizzywednesday
11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm probably no help as I was induced for medical reasons (DD's heart defect) ... BUT the OB accidentally broke my water when she went to sweep my membranes in the hopes of speeding things along & possibly using less pitocin.

However, I don't know if this is a common risk when this is done or if it was just the way my sac was sitting, so please take my experience with a grain of salt!

chiisai
11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
With DS, I don't know how dilated I was as I didn't get checked until I felt like I was probably ready to push (I was 10cm at that time). It was a birth center. I was pretty far along. I think we got to the birth center around 1pm and I was pushing at 5. Labor started pretty fast and furious around 9:30 - 10am. Contractions were about 3 minutes apart really from the get go. I ended up going in because I was begining not to be coherant and in so much pain and the midwife thought I should really come in. My water did not break until just before DS was born (after 2 1/2 hours of pushing). I had had bloody show the night before.

With DD, I was at a hospital, and they checked me when I got there, I was 6cm. Labor started at 4:30am, but kind of was off and on until noonish when things totally picked up. I got to the hospital at about 2:30pm-ish I think, and was pushing at just before 7pm. I went in because I was beginning to feel like I did the first time, losing my mind a bit, contrax where anywhere from 2 min to 3 min apart and over a minute, and it was way too noisy at home - I just wanted quiet. I didn't have bloody show until maybe 2 hours before pushing. I allowed them to break my waters after a few pushes, because the doctor said it would speed things up, and, after the 2 1/2 hour pushing time with DS, and pushing REALLY hurting something awful, I wasn't that hard to convince. And, I'm very glad of it, as she was born 10 minutes later. It was a very very good hospital experience - I had a rockin nurse who pretty much just left me the heck alone.

With DD, I was getting checks every week due to my risk status with her, and I was about 3cm for two or three weeks, if I'm recalling right, before I went into labor.

rkold
11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I was really worried about being the pregnant women who cried wolf and showing up at the Birth Center and then getting sent home, particularly after I found out one of my cousins had previously gone to the hospital and then got sent home.

So the morning my DD was born, I awoke to contractions but they didn't seem strong enough. I went out and did errands including buying my stroller and collecting our late taxes before I started timing myself and by then I was 7 to 8 minutes apart with 1 minute long contractions. I decided it was then time to head back towards where I lived (about 1 hour from where I was visiting my mother) We got home and got things together and when I was having a small contraction at about 3.5 minutes and a large one at 7-8, we called the Birthing Center to see if we could go in. They agreed and when they examined me I was 4-5 cm. They had me go on a walk, and when I got back I was 6 cm, so that was it, they checked me in and less than 3 hours after that I had DD. :D

swissair81
11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
With dd1- I had contractions from 3:00 am every 20 minutes, so no big deal. Around 7 am, they started getting more regular. I labored at home the whole morning & went in around 11, when I started having trouble talking. I was 5 cm when they checked me around noon. She was born about 4 pm. So 8 hours active labor.

It was nice to have that drawn out labor then, because all have them have been under 4 hours since then.

MommyAllison
11-10-2010, 11:27 PM
With DD, I went to the hospital after over 3 hours of consistent contractions that were getting closer together. My water broke as we walked out the door to get in the car.

With DS, I went to the hospital after a couple hours of consistent contractions, getting stronger and closer together. I arrived at the hospital fully dilated and ready to push, and my water broke shortly after arriving at the hospital.

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2010, 11:49 PM
With ds1 my water broke at the onset, contractions started immediately and I labored at home another 9 hours. I went in b/c my contractions were 3 minutes apart and everyone was nagging me to go in b/c of the ROM (though all was well, no fever, good movement...). I also thought I was far enough along based on Bradley Method Emotional Signposts. Still had 11 hours to go once I arrived...ugh.

Ds2 I went in after 9 hours of labor. I was contracting every 3ish minutes and I was in active labor, no doubt in my mind. I went in and was like 4-5cm. I labored there for another 6-7 hours. Laboring at home had been lovely and wonderful but I decided I wanted to go in and get settled in at the birth center before the drive would have been not fun.

Beth

boltfam
11-11-2010, 12:41 AM
With both of mine, my labors went really quickly. With DS, we went to the hospital when my contractions were 3-5 min. apart. We waited that long to go because my contractions would alternate between short and long. I would have like a 30 second one and then a long one. DH didn't think it was time to go yet because "that wasn't how they said it would be in our birthing class".

With DD, my contractions went from 10 min. apart to 4 min. apart within a half hour. By the time my mom got here to watch DS so we could leave for the hospital, my contractions were 2 min. apart. I gave birth to DD an hour later.

littlebird
11-11-2010, 01:40 AM
DH and I went to the hospital after I'd had strong contractions less than 5minutes apart for several hours in the early morning. I remember not being able to catch my breath before the next one would hit. DH decided it was time to go when I broke down in tears. When checked at the hospital, I was only 1 cm dilated, but the contractions were so strong my OB decided to admit me. My water broke about 45 minutes after I'd been admitted. About 3hours later, I was 4 cm dilated. An hour later, I was at 10cm--I was not given Pitocin. I had to wait to push, because DD's heart rate was much too fast. When it slowed enough to be safe for me to push, DD was born an hour later.

brittone2
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
With DS1 my water broke when I woke up, contractions were immediately 5 mins apart lasting a minute. Called the mw and she had us come in asap because we were 45 mins away from the hospital, and I had been 2-3 cm and 80 percent effaced for a while. DS1 was born 6 hours and 20 mins after my water broke. Not super fast, but fairly fast for a first timer.

With DD, I was in a different state and using a FSBC. I was contracting but comfortable. Called the mw on call and kind of hemmed and hawed about whether I should go in. I could talk through contractions, but I could the whole time with my labor with DS1, so I had to remind them that wasn't a good indicator. We eventually settled on me going in, but I felt kind of silly like i might not even be in full active labor. I showed up and I was 10 cm with no idea at all I was that far along. Even my transition was much different and far less noticeable than with DS1. I still hung out for an hour or so at the birth center waiting to feel pushy.

With DS2 I was having a homebirth. We were a little concerned about me going fast after DD's birth. I had contracted a good bit in the days leading up to the day I went into labor. Woke up to one big, huge contraction at 3am. I knew immediately this was it. My contractions were 2-3 mins apart already at that time so I called the mw. She was about a half hour away. She showed up about an hour later and I was 5-6 cm. My total labor was about 5 hours.

momtoonegirl
11-11-2010, 09:15 AM
With DS (2nd pregnancy), I went to the hospital after having bloody show. I had been 3-4 cms dilated and 50-60% effaced for about 3 weeks prior to going in. DS was born a few hours after we were admitted to the hospital that day.

nfowife
11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
With my first, I went in when the contractions were around 5 minutes apart and I felt like I needed help or some sort of confirmation that I was indeed in labor. I had been a fingertip dilated and when I got to L&D I was 4cm. Labor was very long as DD was posterior and I ended up with interventions to get her out.

With my 2nd, I timed the contractions but listened to my body more. I had my first contrax at around 3:30 am (prior to this I was already 3-4 cm for a few weeks without any contrax). Around 6:30 they got intense so I hopped in the shower and woke up DH, and we left for the hospital at 7. I don't know how but I knew it was time to get going to the hospital. Got there at 7:30 and I was 7cm. About 30 minutes labor I was at a 9 and DS was born at 8:20.

Hoping this time is more like #2....even easier or faster would be nice! But I do want to make it to the hospital in time :) .

Tondi G
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
with both of my boys I went when the contractions were 5 minutes apart or less. I delivered at different hospitals. 1st labor, the hospital was 5 minutes away. I was only 2.5cm dilated but they had me stay. DS was born the next morning after having had my water broken at 8am when my OB got there. With my 2nd labor I had a 20+ minute drive to breathe through... arrived at 6cm dilated... the doctor (my OB's associate) who checked me, broke my water. My doctor arrived and I was pushing not long after. 2nd labor was much quicker.

billysmommy
11-11-2010, 09:28 PM
With Ds1, my water broke and then my contractions started at 3-4 minutes apart. This was at 5:00pm. We got to the hospital about 6:00 and I was 6cm. I got the epidural around 7 and I started pushing about 9:15. Ds1 was born at 9:32.

With Ds2, we had all gone for a walk and when we came home I started feeling uncomfortable. This was about 6:30pm. I started having contractions around 10:00pm and called my mom to come up to stay with Ds1. She got here ~11:30 and I was waiting at the door and walked out to get in the truck as she was walking in. Got to the hospital at 11:45 and immediately asked for the epidural, which I am VERY glad I did because when the anesthesiologist came up ~12:30 I was already 8cm and almost didn't get it. Started pushing at 1:20 and Ds2 was born at 1:36.

They were both 3 weeks early to the day

LadyPeter
11-13-2010, 12:03 PM
My water broke when I wasn't having any contractions. It was such a slow trickle that I wasn't entirely sure that's what it was...I thought maybe I'd lost control of my bladder! But after 2 hours of trickling, I thought "My bladder would be empty by now." So I went to my midwife's office, next door to the hospital, to have her confirm what was going on. By the time I got there, my water had been broken for over 3 hours and I was starting to have mild contractions. She sent me straight to the hospital because we hadn't done the Group B Strep test and they wanted to start the penicillin as a precaution. So I guess you could say, I went to the hospital as soon as I knew for sure I was in labor. My plan had been to labor at home for a while, but it worked out perfectly anyway. I was 4 centimeters and progressing very fast, even though I wasn't in pain.

doberbrat
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
my labor started at 2pm, around 4 I called the dr on call to ask about coming in b/c they were every 3ish min appart and was told that I wasnt really in labor b/c I could still talk. told me to call back around 6.

at 5, I told dh lets go . pulled into the hosp pkg lot at 5:30 and she was born at 5:47. ;)

one nurse asked me why I waited so long- I said, He (dr) said I wasnt REALLY in labor!

BabbyO
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, with my first I was very young and didnt' know what to expect. I started having contractions about 5 am. Stayed at home until they were about 5 min apart and 1 min long. I think I was about 5-6 cm dialated when I got to the hospital at 1 pm ish. I walked around the hospital. Around 4:30-5 ish I started pushing. Shortly after which my doc realized my water hadn't broken yet, so he broke it. I pushed for maybe 1/2 hr and baby was born.

My second (14 yrs later) was a bit more interesting. I woke up about 4:30 am with minor contractions. I walked about 2 mi (because it was more comfortable and I was restless). Got home, showered, then decided I needed to walk more, so went for another 3 mi walk. I was timing contractions the entire time. The crazy thing was, while they were getting closer together, they still seemed totally irregular to me. They would go from 5 min apart, then 3 min, then 4, and the duration varied from 15 sec to 1+ min.

Anyway, got home, called the clinic and they told me to gather my things and come in. As I was getting ready to go to the clinic I went to the bathroom and noticed bright red blood. I called the clinic back and asked if I should go directly to the hospital. They told me, "no it is probably bloody show." I told them I didn't think so, but went to the clinic anyway. When I got there, my doc wasn't in yet so another doc saw me. Next thing I knew they were wheeling me out on a gurney to take a 5 min ambulance ride to the hospital. I was 10 cm dialated and fully effaced.

When I got to the hospital they asked if I thought I could make it up to L&D or if I needed to deliver in the ER. I told them L&D. My doc got there, they hooked me up to monitors, etc. Doc broke my water, I pushed twice and had a baby.

I asked the doc why they told me to come to the clinic. She said they thought I was WAY too calm to be too far along, so they assumed that I wouldn't be going to the hospital just yet. :)

DH still feels gyped because I pretty much labored by myself. Sorry DH!

ncat
11-21-2010, 12:10 PM
With DD my water broke and we went in more or less immediately.
With DS, I woke up in labor, but didn't go in until I was starting to get uncomfortable at 6:30 PM or so. I was not dilated at all, so they sent me home and told me to get a good nights sleep. DS was born at 9:30 that night - about 30 minutes after I returned to the hospital.

bostonsmama
11-22-2010, 01:40 AM
I wound up going when ctx were 3 min apart, lasting 1 minute for all of 6 minutes. There were INTENSE! From that first really bad contraction to her birth was less than 4 hours, even though I'd been in prodromal labor (with ctx at various intervals, but not regular) for the 18hrs prior.

Melanie
11-22-2010, 05:36 AM
When my water broke. That was the onset of labor for both of mine. TG I was at home!

AnnieW625
11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
With DD1 I went way too early because a couple of days before my dr. had measured me at 4/1/2 cm. so the first time I had constant braxton hicks for about an hour (they weren't painful at all) I thought it was the real thing. So did my doctor who was on call. I honestly should've been sent home, but ended up laboring through pitocin and in the end was happy to have her.

With DD2 I went when my water broke. DD2 was born just over 8 hrs. later.