PDA

View Full Version : Fender bender and car seats

twowhat?
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Got in a fender bender this morning :banghead: Couldn't have been going more than 5 mph. Impact was probably similar in intensity to going over a speed bump. The kids were not with me, and our Radian 65s were empty.

I'm pretty sure we don't have to replace them. I just want someone to tell me that I'm right...

WolfpackMom
11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Going by the intensity of a speedbump, I would say that you are right....if you do then I have to replace mine for hitting a parking bumper at the end of my space at the library yesterday.

PS. Sorry about your fender bender, thats no fun!

twowhat?
11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Going by the intensity of a speedbump, I would say that you are right....if you do then I have to replace mine for hitting a parking bumper at the end of my space at the library yesterday.

PS. Sorry about your fender bender, thats no fun!

Thanks. Especially when it was my fault:angry-smiley-005:

edurnemk
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't think it's necessary, but if in doubt check the manuals or call SK CS and ask. Britax has a checklist to determine if it needs replacement (I had to replace our BLVD), I'm sure other brands must have some criteria as well.

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Call SK. I was in a fender bender and hemming and hawing about whether or not to replace my car seat. I called First Year's (we have a True Fit Premier) and they sent me a new car seat for free. :boogie:

bubbaray
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Check your manual. The RN manual I have says to replace after any crash. You may also want to call SKJP to see if this is considered a "crash".

DebbieJ
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
No airbags deployed? No damage? Then I'd say no.

I was in a similar fender bender about a month ago and didn't replace our seats (after checking the info on Britax's site).

bubbaray
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Britax's crash criteria is different than most other manufacturers. Most others say to replace after any crash.

Joolsplus2
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

Pretty good list for when to reuse.... I have to wonder how much of the 'replace after ANY crash' stems from the fact that people are generally clueless and the companies want to be free from potential liability? Probably most of it, since the NHTSA rules are based firmly in exhaustive studies that find no degradation of performance after numerous crashes on the same occupied seats.

But, you know, I'll also mention the party line to check your manual or call Sunshine Kids and do what they say, because that's what I'm supposed to say ;)

twowhat?
11-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will be making an executive Mom decision on this one unless my insurance company tells me otherwise;)