PDA

View Full Version : Strider Balance Bike RAVE!!!

christiedavid3
11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I just have to officially rave about our Strider balance bike. I came home for lunch today to find DS (3yrs 2mos) riding his regular pedal 2 wheeler WITHOUT training wheels!!!! :jammin::bighand::yay: I am so amazed to see such a little kid riding!!! I have to give lots of credit to his experience with a balance bike, as I know that's why he has the balance and confidence to do it. It's just so amazing to see!!!

Thank you Strider!!!

wimama
11-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Awesome! DS loves his Strider, too!

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Ok, that's awesome! We used the Hotwalk with DD and DS1 has been on it since prob. March. I haven't really tried him on a pedal bike, but he says he's ready. Should I?

christiedavid3
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Here's a video...please no flames regarding the no helmet...DH is forever "forgetting" to put his helmet on him.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p130/christiedavid3/Kyle/3%20years%20old/th_IMG_05261.jpg (http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p130/christiedavid3/Kyle/3%20years%20old/?action=view&current=IMG_05261.mp4)

LaCostaMom
11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
:bighand:

That's great! I love to hear about kids doing well on the balance bike and then having a stress-free transition to pedal bikes.

How long was your son on the Strider before attempting the pedal bike?

We have the Hotwalk and for just 2 months of riding, 2.5 yo DS is a little balancing speed demon. DH wants to "skip" buying him his own balance bike (he & twin share right now) and go straight to a 2 wheeler but I don't think he's ready what with having to learn pedaling, braking, continuing to balance, being attentive, etc...

Which pedal bike do you have? How small is it?

Thanks for sharing!

brittone2
11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Fantastic!!

DD switched to a regular 2 wheeler at age 3 and we still get some crazy looks since she doesn't have training wheels (she's also smallish for her age).

Way to go!! We love our balance bike. It is waiting for DS2 to use it one day ;) and has already been through 2 kids.

A friend was over yesterday for a playdate and her DS (age 3) was working with the balance bike. He's using training wheels on his regular bike but was getting the hang of gliding and was very proud of himself.

Way to go for your DS!!!

christiedavid3
11-12-2010, 02:21 PM
His regular bike is a 12" Huffy from Walmart that the ILs got for him last year. I don't really care for it as it's pretty heavy for a little kids bike, but it works for him. I'm eyeing a 12" Specialized Hot Rock on CL for $50.

He got the Strider for his 2nd birthday and really got the hang of it a couple months later. So I guess he's been proficient with the balance bike for about a year. It's crazy, DH took the training wheels off yesterday, thinking he would surely have to put them back on. He held onto DS for about 10 feet and let go, and off he went! Totally stress-free, and totally different from when I learned to ride at 6. I was so scared to be without my training wheels!

LaCostaMom
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
His regular bike is a 12" Huffy from Walmart that the ILs got for him last year. I don't really care for it as it's pretty heavy for a little kids bike, but it works for him. I'm eyeing a 12" Specialized Hot Rock on CL for $50.

He got the Strider for his 2nd birthday and really got the hang of it a couple months later. So I guess he's been proficient with the balance bike for about a year. It's crazy, DH took the training wheels off yesterday, thinking he would surely have to put them back on. He held onto DS for about 10 feet and let go, and off he went! Totally stress-free, and totally different from when I learned to ride at 6. I was so scared to be without my training wheels!

Thanks for the info!

Yes...I had the same experience around the same age with training wheels. It was a LONG, drawn-out process and I was pretty much terrified the whole time.

reneed
11-13-2010, 12:54 AM
I didn't go with my hunch and I let DH get DS a bike with training wheels Now is 4 (and a BIG 4) and is deathly afraid for us to take his training wheels off. He is about 44" tall, do you think it would be a waste to get a balance bike for him?

LaCostaMom
11-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Reneed - I think that there are larger balance bikes suited to taller kids:

http://www.kidsbalancebikes.com/all-balance-bikes/metal-balance-bikes/skuut-metal-balance-bike/

http://www.mykinderbike.com/products/Renner-%252d-Green.html (looks like its currently unavailable but due out soon again)

http://kidsbalancebikes.blogspot.com/2009/07/16-inch-go-glider-balance-bike-review.html (might be a good option)

If you can spring for it, I'd get him a balance bike. Our neighbor's son will barely ride his 2-wheeler with training wheels anymore because he took a spill in it a few months ago. But, he had no problem getting on DS's balance bike (even though it was a little small for him).

Balance bikes are finally starting to make waves so re-sale should still be pretty good even if your son uses it for less than a year. I've been posting ad nauseum here (lol) that DS was coasting within 2 weeks of sporadically riding his balance bike. He's 2.5yo. Your son will probably take to the balance bike quickly. I'd say it's money well spent if it removes the stress of training wheels. I HATED the whole prolonged training wheel experience as a child.

Good luck deciding what to do!