PDA

View Full Version : Which Imaginext/Playmobil for DS?

JoyNChrist
11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry, I have lots of gift questions today - Christmas on the brain.

I want to get Avery a Playmobil or Imaginext set for Christmas. He's very into imaginative play lately. I had thought about expanding his Duplo collection, but he's not so much into building structures as he's into playing with the figures.

We don't have any Playmobil or Imaginext, so either brand is fine. I did pick up the Playmobil police advent calendar to do with him this year (my mom's a detective so DS is obsessed with all things police related).

Things he likes right now: ambulances and fire trucks, anything space-related (says he's going to be an astronaut when he grows up), animals.

I thought the Playmobil school looked really cool but not sure I want to spend quite that much (I'd like to stay in the <$100 range).

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
DS1 just got the Imaginext Firehouse playset for his birthday yesterday. He has not stopped playing with it, nor has DD. It's pretty cool. I need to go check on the ambulance, police car, etc. I decided on Imaginext after having a 2nd hand Playmobil camper out for a few days. The tiny pieces and DS2 crawling around was not a good combination.

KrisM
11-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Playmobil seems to have a ton of little pieces. We only have 1 set and there are so many little coins, it's crazy. DS2 is getting Imaginext for Christmas - easier to keep track of!

ETA: He's getting the Sky Racers (air craft carrier) set. He really likes cars and planes, so this fits for the planes. How about the Space Shuttle Imaginext? It's $35 a lot of places.

ett
11-11-2010, 04:22 PM
DS2 loves playing with his Playmobil but it does have a lot of small pieces to keep track of. So that may not be the best thing with babies around the house.

We don't have any Imaginext but keep hearing good reviews of them here. Maybe I need to check it out. :)

christiedavid3
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I just ordered the Playmobil camper for DS...we are campers so he will love this. He loves his Playmobile toys, and all the little pieces. He's also asked for the school, but I'm not sure he's getting that.

I really love the Playmobil ambulance, it's so cool and realistic.

I did notice that Target will have the Imaginext Space Shuttle with an extra figure for $29 on Black Friday. I've got my eyes open for some good deals on Imaginext too. I think you can do a combo of Playmobil/Imaginext...DS has both and loves both.

pb&j
11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
We have the Camper and luuurrrrve it. Seriously, all 4 of us can't get enough of it!! Yes, there are tiny pieces, but the nice thing about the camper is that there is a home for each and every piece! There's even a cellphone-shaped slot on the dashboard for the tiny cellphone. It's so ingenious. I imagine the ambulance is similar in that respect.

The patrol car is pretty cool, but definitely not as cool as the camper.

baileygirl
11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I like Playmobil better, but I would go with Imaginext in your situation because of the piece size/amount of pieces.

brittone2
11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
DS1's first PM item was the camper and he instantly fell in love. As did DD who was only a toddler at the time. We have a pop up so it is very familiar to them.

With A being young and your two little babies, PM may have too many little pieces for now though...not sure how you feel about that.

Momof3Labs
11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
The playmobil pieces are really, really small and really, really numerous. May not be the toy you want to introduce before the twins get mobile. I think that Imaginext tends to be chunkier with fewer choking hazards.

infocrazy
11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I like Playmobil better, but I would go with Imaginext in your situation because of the piece size/amount of pieces.

:yeahthat: DD is looking forward to all the little pieces when she starts crawling any day now...but if you do get Playmobil, get one of the carry case things too. It does a good job of containing the 10,000 pieces when not in use. My guys LOVE their Plamobil.