PDA

View Full Version : So, who wants to help me get the poop out of the favorite undies?

Fairy
11-11-2010, 04:03 PM
6yo DS has been having accidents lately. It's very frustrating. We're working on it. In the meantime, we've got some major poop caking a pair of undies that no one wants to see go. Two others were unsalvageable, so bye bye. This one is a maybe. I've really never had this problem, it's recent, and there was never a question with the others that they were not able to be saved. This pair I wanna try to save, but I'm not sure if I should bother. I don't want the poop coming out in my washing machine, but I don't want it all in my utility basin, either, cuz it's filthy in there, and I worry that no matter how much I wash them I worry about what's int he wash basin. I do have bleach, but not sure what ratio to use considering I won't be putting anything else in the machine with the one pair of undies. Use a tupperware throwaway and then throw it away? How do I approach this?

JoyNChrist
11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I'd use a plastic bowl or storage container you don't mind throwing away.

With icky cloth diapers, I soak in warm water and vinegar/OxyClean. Then I do a cold pre-rinse, a hot wash, and an extra cold rinse. I'd do a little bleach (a capful or two) and whatever detergent you normally use.

Of course, that might be overkill. You could try dunking them in the toilet and flushing a few times, then just a normal wash (maybe add the bleach if you're worried about sanitizing them).

justlearning
11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I wash poop out of underwear in the laundry room sink but just under the running water without any soaking. I always scrub oxi clean into the poop and that helps lift the poop out and also get the stain out. I then just wash in the machine with normal laundry detergent.

Of course, dump whatever poop you can out of the underwear into the toilet first before washing in the sink. (Disposable gloves come in very handy.)

carolinamama
11-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, I'm going to be the mean mean mommy on this topic....

DS1 has been having poop accidents frequently for the last 2 years. He just doesn't want to stop playing to poop. It is behavioral, not physical. I'm seriously talking about several times a week. I've thrown away alot of underwear when I just couldn't deal with it but I also feel like something has to make it undesireable enough for DS to poop in his pants and nothing was. Therefore, I now have him dunk the underwear in the toilet. I taught him how to do it and I provide a plastic bag for him to place the undies in after he has dunked until the poop is off and rung them out. Gross? Yes. More work for me in the end because I have to clean the toilet and surrounding floor afterwards? Yes. But it is slowly working. Natural consequences and all. I have been known to put a capful of bleach in the wash if poopy underwear are going through.

AngelaS
11-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, I'm going to be the mean mean mommy on this topic....

DS1 has been having poop accidents frequently for the last 2 years. He just doesn't want to stop playing to poop. It is behavioral, not physical. I'm seriously talking about several times a week. I've thrown away alot of underwear when I just couldn't deal with it but I also feel like something has to make it undesireable enough for DS to poop in his pants and nothing was. Therefore, I now have him dunk the underwear in the toilet. I taught him how to do it and I provide a plastic bag for him to place the undies in after he has dunked until the poop is off and rung them out. Gross? Yes. More work for me in the end because I have to clean the toilet and surrounding floor afterwards? Yes. But it is slowly working. Natural consequences and all. I have been known to put a capful of bleach in the wash if poopy underwear are going through.

That is absolutely what I would do as well. If they make the mess, they clean it up. He's six. He knows how to use the potty.

justlearning
11-12-2010, 06:38 PM
That is absolutely what I would do as well. If they make the mess, they clean it up. He's six. He knows how to use the potty.

FWIW, some kids can't control it for various reasons. My son experienced fecal incontinence for a period of time due to constipation resulting from his bowel movement withholding, which is related to his anxiety/sensory issues.

Here's a link with more info about it: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/fecalincontinence/

mnosky1
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Rinse in toilet/flush off all solid, then super hot water. Can soak in oxy clean or biz but really not needed, can just wash in tide. I had to do this for a year when my 2/3 yr old was being treated for encoporesis. Ugh - memories! Amazing that was all it took - except when the ped had us using mineral oil ( never use that) it stains everything orange.