PDA

View Full Version : VBAC mamas

Sweetum
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
what kind of prep did you do before you got pregnant?
what kind of prep did you do after you got pregnant?
what did you think was important for you to do/know before you decided to go on this path?

Thanks...

SunCB
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Physically nothing.

For my VBAC attempt I read A LOT and visited ICAN boards. After the CBAC (VBAC attempt turned CS ~ OB could not wait any longer and I was at 8 cm already). Tried to stay positive which was hard bc I could tell the OB practice was not as natural minded as me plus they dropped me at like 37 wks only to have to take me back again bc they are idiots. Saw a chiro is I felt off.

VBA2C I turned to a CNM with her own BC. She freaked at nearly 32 wks and I was left to find natural minded OB which meant my drive was 1.5 hr away (she was just under 60 mins). I read even more but not as much. Went to ICAN forum and a few mtgs. Tried to stay positive again which was a little easier than last time but still hard since I was stuck going to a male OB in a hosy which is what I did not want (did not plan to get preggo again if I could not find a MW to take me and mine knew that 5 months before I got preggo). Did what my OB said and did not go to the hosy right away. Unless you are in pain to where you cannot tolerate it any more, think something is wrong, or are pushing then you need to come in bc you are on the hosy clock (not his) due to their rules (was in less than 3.5 hrs before DD arrived with only 19 mins of pushing). I did EPO at the end. I did hypnobirthing stuff. I saw the chiro as needed again. I was going to the gym now that we had a membership a couple times a wk. Had a doula bc my DH SUCKS at being a support for me while in labor. He just sat there looking at me until it was time to push (in the hosy) or when in the hotel (it was close since we had the long drive and this is what the OB said to do since my other labor was long) wanted to watch TV (sports).

You need to know what you want out of the birth and how far you will go to do that. For me, my DH was not at all comfortable with the OOH birth and I was even considering UC if needed so a MW @ BC I thought was good middle ground even if he did not like the idea (he did NO research and was afraid something was going to happen to me but if he read the research then he might actually have felt differently).

saleenl
11-12-2010, 01:38 AM
what kind of prep did you do before you got pregnant?
I read a lot of ICAN boards and found a practice that had a high VBAC success rate. In my case, it was a university-affiliated practice that provides pooled insurance for everyone on staff so they were more supportive/lenient about VBACS. It wasn't my current OB so I started going there for my routine care so that I could meet a few recommended doctors.

what kind of prep did you do after you got pregnant?
Once pregnant, hired a doula that was also a labor and delivery nurse at the hospital at which I planned to deliver. She was experienced with VBACS and I found her through ICAN. I attended a birthing refresher class that my doula taught at a hospital (but it was good!) to brush up on some laboring techniques.

what did you think was important for you to do/know before you decided to go on this path?
Just that I was giving myself the best possible chance for a VBAC. And it worked!

azzeps
11-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Hi!

I'm planning to VBAC. Just wanted to say that your local ICAN chapter can be a great resource in identifying truly supportive providers, and also for support from other women who have been there. You can find the contact info for your local chapter at www.ican-online.org.

Good luck!

Dream
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm hoping for VBAC attempt too and will definitley check the link. My DH thinks I'm crazy for wanting to attempt and he really feel its going to end up in a CS.

jjjo1112
11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
For prep before I got pregnant, I read a lot, visited message boards, talked with different nurses and doctors (I am a Labor and Delivery nurse).

Once I got pregnant, I changed to a new liberal OB and a new hospital that supported VBAC's. I picked an OB that limited the patients she takes each month and attends all her own deliveries, did not have any "rules" that applied only to VBAC moms, and made sure the hospital had a neonatologist on staff 24/7. As a nurse that used to work in the NICU and then transferred to L&D, this was particularly important to me. If the worst were to happen, I wanted to make sure that the person working on my baby was experienced as a neonatologist, not a pediatrician (many hospitals cover nights/weekends with pediatricians). Those first few minutes would be crucial and I didn't want anyone that wasn't confident. Other than that, I didn't do anything special.

For me I just made sure I had a positive outlook. I had a vaginal birth prior and was 9cm when my C/S was called, so I wasn't worried I wouldn't dilate or that the baby wouldn't fit. I also felt like my training in L&D and the ability to read and interpret the fetal heart tracing was very helpful. When I had my C/S I wasn't working in L&D, so I wasn't as knowledgable. I went back and reviewed my fetal heart tracing and if I had now what I do know, I would have asked to wait a little longer and feel like I could have avoided my C/S.

deborah_r
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
No major preparation, and I stayed with the same OB. I think I just got lucky! DS2 decided to arrive the day before my scheduled c-section.

smilequeen
11-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Mostly I read a lot of research to make sure what I really wanted. I had wanted the VBAC since DS1 was born. At my 2 week appt after having him, my OB told me she was sorry I didn't get my natural birth and that I was a great candidate for a VBAC next time. So I stuck with her. My husband was totally on board. I reread books on natural childbirth and got myself mentally prepared. I just really truly believed I could do it.

We moved after DS2 was born and I did more research through ICAN to pick out my current OBGYN. Even though I had one successful VBAC I wanted to make sure I had a VBAC friendly OB.

ICAN is a great resource and I know that a lot of VBAC moms really love having a doula. The right care provider is also REALLY important.