PDA

View Full Version : Sears Photos - is it a good deal

janine
11-11-2010, 09:38 PM
We desperately need some family photos - looked into some professional photographers which were way too much $$, so thought of Sears. I'm kind of distrustful of them though - can anyone vouch for the pricing and/or quality of results?

jgenie
11-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I've never used Sears, but I've been using JCPenney's since DS1 was 3 months. I've been happy with them - they usually have coupons for $3.99 sheets and that's what I order. If you do a single pose they have large packages that seem to be great value.

sariana
11-11-2010, 10:12 PM
We use JCPenney, too, but I think Sears is similar. It really depends on who you get as your photographer. We have had some rather impressive (to me) shots, and some that were barely worth the server space to upload them.

These "mass market" photography studios specialize in standardization and assembly line style. That's fine for me; I just want shots of my kids.

If you want something more creative, or special image effects, a professional is the way to go. Department store studios will have the basic kinds of things you could do on a home computer (black and white, sepia, and other tones; cropping into shaped frames or words or whatever; things like that).

If you want some nice, basic shots of your family, Sears probably will be fine for you.

A few times in the last 6 years I have been unhappy with the results at JCP. In every case I was able to get a reshot or a reprint. I assume Sears would do the same.

tigs4999
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Haven't tried sears either but someone here recently posted about photo innovations so we tried it. Was awesome - for 9.99 you get a ton of photos (at least) 1 10x13, 2 8x10s, several 5x7s, 32 wallets and 9 Christmas cards (all 1shot) and they took at least 75 shots with 2+ outfits. No sitting fee or extra charges (unless you want extra shots). Would recommend it if you have one near you.

FedBaby
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
We found Target to be cheaper than JCPenny/Sears. At least when I was "researching" Target had coupons for no sitting fees and the others charged by the number of people in the picture.
Target's been fine but we learned the hard way NOT to schedule a shooting for the weekend of Thanksgiving (unless maybe you're the first of the day next year -- probably that spot's already booked for this year)

3blackcats
11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
We had a great experience with Sears! I am never going back to JC Penney due to the horrible way I was treated last year for Christmas portraits.

I just got a coupon in my email for 40% off entire purchase with no sitting fee. If you want to PM me your email, I can forward it to you.

christiedavid3
11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
We use Portrait Innovations and LOVE it! I like it sooooooo much better than the departments/discount stores, and the price is great.

ohsara430
11-12-2010, 12:16 AM
We have used Sears and were quite happy with them, but recently moved to a different state and had a bad experience at the Sears closest to us (not with the photography per se, but customer service issue & manager refused to honor what their online customer service dept had said). I think it just depends on who you get. We just went tonight actually to JCP to get xmas cards and were happy with it. Price & selection were really good.

It really just depends on who the photographer ends up being and what you're looking for. I take my DD frequently so I never really buy a big package just a sheet or 2. We have also used picture people which is hit or miss and I only go when they have good specials going. You should keep in mind that JCP, Target, and a few other portrait studios are all owned by Lifetouch which is a company that does a lot of school photographs. I say find whoever has the best deal going and give it a try, but if you want something unique or special a professional photog is the way to go.

zag95
11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
We have used Sears since DD was born (she'll be 3 at the end of Jan) and have had a couple of family shots as well.

Prices haven't been too bad- we usually get a package that includes the CD, so we have those digital prints. It is worth it to me to have it.

klwa
11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
We had our engagement pictures done by Sears & have had the kids pictures done by Penney's. No problems with either.

dec756
11-12-2010, 08:32 AM
i second portrait innovations!! hated jcpennys....they werer just not experienced enough and i dislike sitting fees

janine
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM
thanks for all the feedback! i'm intrigued now by portrait innovations but looks like there isn't one near us (NJ)..boo..oh well.

Might give Sears a try and hope for a bit of luck with the photog..

musicalgrl
11-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Another vote for Portrait Innovations! I'd never go anywhere else. I also live in NJ and the closest one for me is just over the border in PA. I think there's also one in the New Brunswick area, which I haven't been to. Not sure were in NJ you are, but it might be worth the drive, if it's not too, too far. Good luck!