PDA

View Full Version : Garnet Hill Backpacks Solids $9 or jr $8 Free Monogramming

mjmamma
11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
As the title says...great 'fillers' for Christmas or to put away for next year, at least those are my thoughts
Aqua, Marine Blue and Rosy are available
http://www.garnethill.com/sale-clearance/sale-of-the-day/

Christeen_Trevor
11-12-2010, 08:50 AM
My son has a landsend backpack that after a year shows no sign of wear and he is a 4 year old boy. My daughter has a toys r us dora backpack that after a year has holes in the bottom. I would like to replace her back pack. Would you rec garnet hill? Is it good quality like lands end?

alien_host
11-12-2010, 08:55 AM
DD has a GH backpack. She has only used it since Sept, but it looks brand new. I'm happy with it.

mjmamma
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
We've had ours a short time too and it does look like great quality.

The solids don't have many reviews but the prints in the have a tons of great reviews. They're stuff is generally good quality, though overpriced but not at all discount store cheap.
http://www.garnethill.com/kids-rooms/backpack-collection/

Momof3Labs
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
My son has a landsend backpack that after a year shows no sign of wear and he is a 4 year old boy. My daughter has a toys r us dora backpack that after a year has holes in the bottom. I would like to replace her back pack. Would you rec garnet hill? Is it good quality like lands end?

GH will take anything back at any time, so there is no risk to trying one.

Momof3Labs
11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Looks like free monogramming too - ths is a great deal!

alexsmommy
11-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you. The free monogramming made it a no brainer as a Christmas filler.

lchang25000
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
What's the shipping for this one item? Thanks!

mjmamma
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I got 2 jr's, $16 + 4.95 shipping

edoudera
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
GREAT DEAL! You can use G9KMENT for $10 off $50.
I placed an order for 7 bags, all personalized, and the shipping was $6.95 for me.

iaam
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
The free monogramming is awesome!

One question: do you think a 7 yo girl and 9 yo boy would like their initials or their first names on their back packs? TIA!

mominma
11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Just curious what color monogramming you chose? I am trying to decide if I should do the same color as the fabric as shown in most of the pictures.

mjmamma
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I have twin girls so I got them the pink backpacks w/the Key West Lime green initial monograms. I liked the pink on pink but I think the little bit of green will give it a pop.
(I never put names on the backpacks.)

mom2mack&max
11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks! Just got a jr for my ds who will start preschool next year & one reg size to put away for my Kinder dd when her LE backpack needs to retire! I assume only the GH lunchboxes will attach to those rings? I will have to keep an eye out for a sale on the lunchboxes.

indigo99
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
The free monogramming is awesome!

One question: do you think a 7 yo girl and 9 yo boy would like their initials or their first names on their back packs? TIA!

I may be overly cautious, but I don't think it's a good idea to put your child's name on something that they'll be using in public. You don't want strangers to be able to walk up and pretend that they know the child.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
matching lunchboxes are on sale too

lunch box (hidden on the girl clothing sale page $6
http://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hill-lunch-pack---solids/sale-clearance/girls-clothing/163619

lunch box to match boy color backpack $9.95
http://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hill-lunch-pack---solids/kids-clothing/backpack-collection/163619?isCrossSell=true

smiles33
11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
WOO HOO! Thanks OP and stillplayswithbarbies for the tip. Picked up backpacks and matching lunchboxes for both my girls in both sizes (and added a purple leopard pencil case for $5 to use the code edoudera mentioned!).

iaam
11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I may be overly cautious, but I don't think it's a good idea to put your child's name on something that they'll be using in public. You don't want strangers to be able to walk up and pretend that they know the child.

That's a good point and helps make my decision. Thanks.

iaam
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Never mind

JanBaby
11-12-2010, 03:14 PM
That's a good point and helps make my decision. Thanks.

Would you do initials? I think I'm okay with a monogram but I agree about the full name.

iaam
11-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Would you do initials? I think I'm okay with a monogram but I agree about the full name.

I ended up doing initials - I think that's relatively safe but still 'personalized' enough that the kids would get a kick out of it.

hellokitty
11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow, what a good deal! Alas, our LL Bean backpacks are like tanks and holding up great, or else I would get one of these!

Momof3Labs
11-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Got one for each of the kids with the single letter monogram, plus a pencil case for each for $5 each so I could use the $10/$50 coupon. Great find!!

srhs
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM
The Jr says ages 4+. Is it the standard KID size? I really need a toddler backpack. We tried a regular one on him, and it's too big.

eta. Oh duh, it has the dimensions 15"H x 11"W x 6"D and I found "toddler" one online that is 9"Lx4½"Wx11½"H.

diamond
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
is this a better deal compared to the llbean, lands end and pottery barn sales for backpacks and lunch bags during back to school sales? i want to get for my dd who is 20 months old right now, do you think this is too big for her? or ok for her to use

urquie
11-12-2010, 04:12 PM
The Jr says ages 4+. Is it the standard KID size? I really need a toddler backpack. We tried a regular one on him, and it's too big.

eta. Oh duh, it has the dimensions 15"H x 11"W x 6"D and I found "toddler" one online that is 9"Lx4½"Wx11½"H.

can you please link to the one you found? thanks!

srhs
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
can you please link to the one you found? thanks!

I'm sorry. I didn't find one that was part of the deal, I just looked up toddler backpacks so I could compare sizes to the standard toddler backpack size. I went to Company kids to get the dimensions.

babybunny
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
My order receipt did not list the personalization, so I just emailed customer service to make sure it is on the order.

babybunny
11-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Even though this is a jr size, it seems like it will hold the 8-1/2 " x 11" papers that will come home from Pre-K etc. So I think that is a plus.

wencit
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks for posting! Great deal. I bought one for DS1 to use when he starts kindergarten next September (sniff sniff).

Momto1
11-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Nevermind - just placed an order - I kept it simple, everyone got their first initial on the bag!

infocrazy
11-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I kept it simple, everyone got their first initial on the bag!

I did the Orange FI on the Marine Bag...that is Orange right? This was supposed to sell out before I could order them.... :)

Anyone think the PBK lunch boxes with the clips will work on these? We got those as a gift.

JanBaby
11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=infocrazy;2920528]This was supposed to sell out before I could order them.... :)
QUOTE]

Ha! I felt the same ... and I just pulled the trigger too. I figured if it stayed in stock this long, I needed to get one.

Staraglimmer
11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks so much OP!!! I just ordered 9!!! I am finished with all the little kids for Christmas! My budget thanks you too :) :love-retry:

Momto1
11-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I did the Orange FI on the Marine Bag...that is Orange right? This was supposed to sell out before I could order them.... :)

I got the same for my two little nephews. I got DD an Aqua one with a purple monogram.

Melaine
11-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Are these still in stock? I can't believe it....I'm super tempted but DH has put me on a spending freeze.

MotownMom
11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Am I the only one who got shipping ($8.95) + a $12 "special services" fee added to their order?

I ordered 2 of the cotton fleece throws that were half off and 2 of the backpacks. I still went ahead because it was a good deal, but what the heck is this fee?

babybunny
11-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Message back from Customer Service about monogram --

In reviewing your order, we do see monogramming on both the backpack and lunch pack. Please know for the future that monogramming information is not included on confirmation emails.

MotownMom
11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Just called Cs, they were great. The $12 was an error b/c monogramming was free on both items, they are crediting me. I am looking forward to getting these items. 4 gifts done. Thanks OP!!!

Binkandabee
11-12-2010, 07:49 PM
For those that ordered the blue one for their boys...what color monogramming did you get?

wencit
11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
For those that ordered the blue one for their boys...what color monogramming did you get? I got DS1's initials in white. I think it was the "cleanest" color for monogramming.

JanBaby
11-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Are these still in stock? I can't believe it....I'm super tempted but DH has put me on a spending freeze.

Every kid needs a backpack! It's like food or water...

jvs195
11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I got Marine Blue with white initials for DS and Aqua with Purple Initials for DD. These should be good for toting toys and "stuff" to Auntie's house. Good price.

twinsmama
11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Is everyone personalizing them? I'm tempted to not do any personalization. Will it be too plain? What do you all think?

stillplayswithbarbies
11-12-2010, 11:07 PM
what color monogram is everyone doing on the pink backpacks? I did the light pink, but on the lunchbag the monogram goes on the lighter color, so it might not show up

Binkandabee
11-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I did the lucerne blue on the marine backpack and light adamia on the pink.

kevinsmama
11-13-2010, 06:57 AM
I got DS the blue backpack and lunch bag and monogrammed them with his initials. Did the monogram in dark orange on the backpack to match the orange trims and the monogram on lunch bag in turquoise (on the orange background). I've bought these backpacks/lunch packs as gifts for friends' kids in the past and they have been great hits b/c of their cute color combos, unique patterns and durability. Looking fwd to finally buying some for my own son!

justlearning
11-13-2010, 07:20 AM
DS has been using a PBK Varsity small backpack and coordinating lunchbox for the last three years and we've been very happy with it.

I'm considering buying this Garnet Hill backpack for next year when he will need a larger size. But in looking at the coordinating lunch box, it seems that the loop and snap mechanism used to attach it to the backpack would be a big nuisance. Right now it's super easy to do with his PBK lunch box that uses metal clips so it's easily done with one hand in a second.

Anyone thoughts on this?

MeyersDVM
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Great Deal! In for two Jrs and two regular size with lunch boxes :)

infocrazy
11-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Is everyone personalizing them? I'm tempted to not do any personalization. Will it be too plain? What do you all think?

I wouldn't have personalized but I got DS1 and DS2 each one and there was only 1 boy option. I needed to be able to tell them apart so I did the single first initial on each in Orange.

hellbennt
11-13-2010, 11:46 AM
thank you for this;):wavey:!!
I :heartbeat: this place!!

got two girl jrs -
and two boy jrs for gifts!

twinsmama
11-13-2010, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't have personalized but I got DS1 and DS2 each one and there was only 1 boy option. I needed to be able to tell them apart so I did the single first initial on each in Orange.

Thx. I ended up not even ordering.

twinsmama
11-13-2010, 10:59 PM
DS has been using a PBK Varsity small backpack and coordinating lunchbox for the last three years and we've been very happy with it.

I'm considering buying this Garnet Hill backpack for next year when he will need a larger size. But in looking at the coordinating lunch box, it seems that the loop and snap mechanism used to attach it to the backpack would be a big nuisance. Right now it's super easy to do with his PBK lunch box that uses metal clips so it's easily done with one hand in a second.

Anyone thoughts on this?

My twins had one from the Gap with some attaching system for the lunch boxes and while it was easy to attach/ detach, we never even used them tat way. I always put their lunch bags inside the backpack. Seems easier and less bulky.

Momit
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
These are super cute, thanks! Got one for DS and two for gifts.

Tondi G
11-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Darn I really want to buy these for my niece's and could easily spend 50 bucks to use the code but I want them shipped directly.... I am nervous that they will mix them up and the girls will get the wrong monogrammed backpacks. Has anyone ordered and had things shipped to multiple addresses before? Did the correct items go to the correct address?

Also a little bummed that they are out of the purple ... I would have liked to get them different colors... but it sure is a good price!

Melanie
11-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Darn I really want to buy these for my niece's and could easily spend 50 bucks to use the code but I want them shipped directly.... I am nervous that they will mix them up and the girls will get the wrong monogrammed backpacks. Has anyone ordered and had things shipped to multiple addresses before? Did the correct items go to the correct address?

Also a little bummed that they are out of the purple ... I would have liked to get them different colors... but it sure is a good price!

I still see purple but the pink is OOS in the junior, making my decision tough! LOL.

For those with boys, are you only doing all three intials? I really like just having the first letter of the first name, but it's only shown in the script. Is it silly I think that looks too feminine? Plus his first intial doesn't necessarily carry itself alone well in script. And to have it not in a script seems, odd. No? UGH, and I just realized that doing his intials in this wierd First name, last name, middle name way...they spell something! *headsmack* I made sure his intials didn't spell anything in the usual order when we named him, LOL, it never occured to me to check out this way. Okay, I canNOT use the intials like that.

When I bought him the toddler size, years ago, I didn't worry about using his entire name since he was always with me and hang behind us for a few minutes and you'd know his name. Now, however, he's getting to a more independent age and I can see how it wouldn't be safe if he was out with friends or on his own (okay, not totally on his own, but not right next to me).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Momto1
11-15-2010, 02:08 AM
I still see purple but the pink is OOS in the junior, making my decision tough! LOL.

For those with boys, are you only doing all three intials? I really like just having the first letter of the first name, but it's only shown in the script. Is it silly I think that looks too feminine? Plus his first intial doesn't necessarily carry itself alone well in script. And to have it not in a script seems, odd. No? UGH, and I just realized that doing his intials in this wierd First name, last name, middle name way...they spell something! *headsmack* I made sure his intials didn't spell anything in the usual order when we named him, LOL, it never occured to me to check out this way. Okay, I canNOT use the intials like that.

When I bought him the toddler size, years ago, I didn't worry about using his entire name since he was always with me and hang behind us for a few minutes and you'd know his name. Now, however, he's getting to a more independent age and I can see how it wouldn't be safe if he was out with friends or on his own (okay, not totally on his own, but not right next to me).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I got Style #2 uppercase, and only did first initials for all three bags (2 for boys, 1 for my DD). I got too confused with what order to do the three initials in, so I went with simple. Plus, DD's first initial is R and it was one of the letters on the sample so I kind of got an idea of how it would look. I think the style 2 will look fine as a 1-letter monogram - I don't think you have to go with script.

Melanie
11-15-2010, 02:13 AM
I got Style #2 uppercase, and only did first initials for all three bags (2 for boys, 1 for my DD). I got too confused with what order to do the three initials in, so I went with simple. Plus, DD's first initial is R and it was one of the letters on the sample so I kind of got an idea of how it would look. I think the style 2 will look fine as a 1-letter monogram - I don't think you have to go with script.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking my Ds' intial is just too odd on it's own. I am going to see if they will do the diamond-shaped one with it in the middle.

Ack. Now the pink is in stock in the junior, but both feminine colors OOS in the big?! This is getting annoying...

If shipping were free I wouldn't worry about it, but since it's not I don't want to make multiple orders.

ETA: Okay, now the pink is back in stock in big and aqua isn't?! Maybe they're messing with the inventory right now...

jbbhb
11-15-2010, 02:45 AM

eek, I just ordered one and then thought of this as well. I called them and left a message, hopefully they can change it, or I suppose it will just be a backpack for home...:banghead:

Momit
11-15-2010, 05:28 AM
I was also wondering about the monogramming for initials. I chose a style with 3 capital letters all the same size, so I did the initials in the regular order - first, middle, last. I was thinking you only did first, last, middle when you chose a style where the center letter is larger than the other two so the last name initial would be the large letter. Anyone know for sure?

mjmamma
11-15-2010, 08:09 AM
The lunch bags are now SOTD for $4
http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?itemID=8475&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C2425%2C8475

JanBaby
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I was also wondering about the monogramming for initials. I chose a style with 3 capital letters all the same size, so I did the initials in the regular order - first, middle, last. I was thinking you only did first, last, middle when you chose a style where the center letter is larger than the other two so the last name initial would be the large letter. Anyone know for sure?

I did the same thing - I assumed that only those styles that were designed as true monograms would turn out that way.

Momto1
11-15-2010, 12:01 PM
The lunch bags are now SOTD for $4
http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?itemID=8475&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C2425%2C8475

Thanks for the update! Just picked up three to match the backpacks I ordered on Friday. Christmas shopping all done for the nephews!

mom2mack&max
11-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I tried to add one lunchbox to my order from the 12th b/c I did not want to pay shipping for one $4 lunchbox. My order is already being processed and they wouldn't let me add to the order. Darn!

Melanie
11-15-2010, 05:02 PM

I think you are right in that case. Maybe I'll just get him his first and last intial...

In the meantime, I gave up and only bought one for girls' on my list with the single initial in script. Somehow they all had letters that looked nice alone.

I've been stalking the site watching things come and go in stock trying to get a good set. LOL. I finally gave up this AM and for less than $4, with the code, bought Dd a second lunch box to match the other backpack. I'd wanted to get a regular size, junior and backpack all to go together. It's probably better this way anyhow, since the lunch box will be new and clean when she grows into the bigger pack. I just hope I don't get drama over the fact the one for now isn't pink.

Melanie
11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Okay, so I did a chat with them and if I ordered one of those three letter styles with the center letter bigger, if you do it with 1 intial you get it centered and large, or if you do it with two intials they put them in the smaller positions, but next to eachother in a case like style 23.

mrshalco
11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Has anyone had their order go through? My order says "reserved and being processed for shipment." Is that because of the monograming? Just want to make sure I'm not the only one!!

MotownMom
11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Mine said that initially, then I just got them today...I picked the wrong color for embroidering the pink backpacks...It was a pink color that I thought had enough contrast, but it is almost impossible to read the names because the thread is the same pink. I wish Garnet Hill had a little note in the description saying what colors they recommend for embroidery, it is hard to tell.

Melanie
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Has anyone had their order go through? My order says "reserved and being processed for shipment." Is that because of the monograming? Just want to make sure I'm not the only one!!

I called when mine said that and they did confirm it was because of the monogramming. I got a ship notice a couple of days later.

beth239
11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I checked my order today and it said the same thing.

MotownMom I am sorry you can't really see it. THey really should give you suggestions.

Melanie
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Mine said that initially, then I just got them today...I picked the wrong color for embroidering the pink backpacks...It was a pink color that I thought had enough contrast, but it is almost impossible to read the names because the thread is the same pink. I wish Garnet Hill had a little note in the description saying what colors they recommend for embroidery, it is hard to tell.

I'm sorry. :( I worried about that, too. Or it would be nice if they would call if you picked heinous ones. I did chat them to help pick one of them, but that's not always convenient.

gracie's mom
11-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Who else has gotten their bags? I got mine today...except they sent me two lunch packs instead of one lunch pack and one Jr. backpack. I called them and they said it'd cost them less money for me to just keep the extra one instead of sending it back. And they are going to send me my jr. backpack right away. So, not a bad deal! I get a back-up lunch pack! :)

Also, I got the aqua bags with the yellow embroidery (I think it was called light sunshine???). I think it looks really nice. Sorry to hear about the pink embroidery on the pink bag!

Melanie
11-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Who else has gotten their bags? I got mine today...except they sent me two lunch packs instead of one lunch pack and one Jr. backpack. I called them and they said it'd cost them less money for me to just keep the extra one instead of sending it back. And they are going to send me my jr. backpack right away. So, not a bad deal! I get a back-up lunch pack! :)

Also, I got the aqua bags with the yellow embroidery (I think it was called light sunshine???). I think it looks really nice. Sorry to hear about the pink embroidery on the pink bag!

That's awesome! I was afraid you were going to say you were out of luck b/c they'd sold out. Great customer service!

mrshalco
11-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Do you remember the name of the stitching? I only ordered one pink so I'm curious to see if it's the same color thread!

Thanks!

gracie's mom
11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes, the customer service was awesome -- I agree! And the person who answered the phone in the first place handled it all. I was put on hold for a couple minutes, but the whole call was probably 3 or 4 minutes, and I was never once transferred to someone else. Great experience!

MotownMom
11-24-2010, 10:53 AM
On the rosy backpacks, I picked Swiss Beauty thread for embroidery and it is the same color as the part of the bag where the embroidery is. Hope the rest of you picked the Pink color thread (or a totally contrasting color like white or black). When I received my items there was an embroidered throw in the box, obviously part of someone else's order. I called CS and it sounds like they are totally overwhelmed. Required 4 calls for them to figure out what to do with the item (they are going to have UPS take it directly from me to other customer rather than send back to GH). So, don't be totally surprised it there is a surprise in your box (the PP got a bonus, I got a bit of disappointment, both with my order and how much of my time it took to resolve their mistake on the extra throw).

Xamar
11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
They botched my orderZ! :irked:
I ordered for 4 boys and 1 girl, all monogrammed. They sent me a big backpack for my little niece (I ordered a small one). But now the pink is out of stock. They offered to replace it with one of the printed ones but I have to pay full price. Or they said I could return it and they would refund me. :thumbsdown:

Melanie
11-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry!

Eeps. I had one sent as a gift, I hope it turns out right.

Xamar
11-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Oh well... at least they got the other four right. So they might get yours right. :praying:

It was still a great deal, though... I would just have to find an extra gift for my niece. :rolleye0014:

Xamar
11-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry!

Eeps. I had one sent as a gift, I hope it turns out right.

Oh well... at least they got the other four right. So they might get yours correctly. :praying:

It was a terrific deal though.... I just have to buy an extra gift for my niece. :rolleye0014:

gracie's mom
11-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Yikes! Now I'm worried that they won't send me the correct backpack we are missing. Well, I guess we'll just have to see. I'll keep you guys posted! Hope the rest of the orders make it out ok!!!

Momof3Labs
11-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Got my four, and they were right, I guess, but I'm underwhelmed. The font that they use to monogram (I just had the initial put on each bag) is kinda strange - I really don't care for the L or the E on two of the bags.

The colors are okay though. I put a purple monogram on the pink bags and orange on the blue bags. Had I spent $5-6 on each monogram, though, I would have been VERY disappointed.

MolieMuts
11-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Got my four, and they were right, I guess, but I'm underwhelmed. The font that they use to monogram (I just had the initial put on each bag) is kinda strange - I really don't care for the L or the E on two of the bags.

The colors are okay though. I put a purple monogram on the pink bags and orange on the blue bags. Had I spent $5-6 on each monogram, though, I would have been VERY disappointed.

:yeahthat: I agree with all of the above. I used the same exact colors, pink/purple and blue/orange and also thought the font was weird looking. Especially the J. They items were correct though.

Binkandabee
11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Finally got my order today and it's completely botched. I ordered three large backpacks and three lunch packs. They got one backpack and one lunchpack right...the pink one thank goodness!

Both blue backpacks and one blue lunchpack have the wrong font. And then I got one turquoise lunchpack that has the wright font...but is the wrong color lunchpack. Yikes...what a mess.

Hopefully the next round is better. The sad thing is it looks like the monogramming was triple checked...at least the initials indicate that. And I did have my order right...it was the monogrammers that messed up.

Melanie
11-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Mine arrived today as well. And they got the order completely right. Kudos to the PPer who suggested the lime green on the pink bags as it looks awesome. I also did some lime green on the aqua/lavendar bags and it looks okay, but not as good as the one I did in purple.

I also did just one initial on all of them. One is an "E" and it does look a little odd, but not terrible.

I was tempted to call them to get the lime greens on the aqua/lavendars to change to purple but I'm thinking I'd better leave well enough alone.

All in all, this purchase gets a 'fantastic' from me. Thanks to the OP and PPers!!

:cheerleader1:

lchang25000
11-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I got both the Jr. backpack and lunch pack the other day during the 40% off sale plus free shipping and free monogramming for $15 shipped! :yay:

Momto1
12-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Just got my orders - 3 backpacks and 3 lunchboxes. The monogramming on one of the lunchboxes is wrong. The paper taped to it clearly says turquoise and the letter is clearly purple.

Guess I'll be calling them in the morning.

hellbennt
12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Got my 4 & all looks great :)
2 girls aqua/pink w/ pink embroidery &
2 boys blue/orange w/ orange embroidery

beth239
12-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I received my lunch boxes I ordered today. I had a big order 15 which are all gifts. 4 or 5 of them look like crap. The monograming made the fabric all bunched up. Did this happen to anyone elses?
2 of them they messed up the font but I can live with that and one of them looks like the stitching is coming out already. I don't know if I should just live with it because they were cheap or call and complain. I don't want to give gifts that look like crap.

mypa
12-02-2010, 11:46 PM
My order came today and everything looks fine except on the regular pink backpack they got the initials wrong (plus the font looked awful). Called CS and since all the pink backpacks are sold out they let me get a patterned one (purple leopard). I wasn't feeling the love for the pink backpack so I'm actually glad that I'll be getting the patterned one instead. When that one arrives it will have a return label to ship back the one with the error.

They said there have been lots of mistakes with not only the embroidery but also with people getting other people's order. They also said I could use the backpack until the other one arrives. Thank goodness for great CS.

Melanie
12-03-2010, 01:24 AM
I received my lunch boxes I ordered today. I had a big order 15 which are all gifts. 4 or 5 of them look like crap. The monograming made the fabric all bunched up. Did this happen to anyone elses?
2 of them they messed up the font but I can live with that and one of them looks like the stitching is coming out already. I don't know if I should just live with it because they were cheap or call and complain. I don't want to give gifts that look like crap.

Mine didn't look horrible at all. :( I think you should call.

Momit
12-03-2010, 05:10 AM
I got 3 monogrammed jr. backpacks and my order was just about perfect. I did initials for one (orange monogram on blue backpack) and names for the other 2 (turquoise monogram on light blue backpack). I say just about perfect because one of the names looks a little strange - it's a short (3 letter) name and it's like they spaced the letters a little too far apart. But they are very cute and the kids will love them.

I also got 2 of the monogrammed Lands' End totes and I do think their monogramming is a higher quality than Garnet Hill's plus they seem to have fewer quality control issues.

ETA Thanks for posting this great deal, OP. During the 40% off sale I went back and ordered one more backpack and a lunch pack, plus the Advent buckets. I've gotten hooked on Garnet Hill! I bet they will take good care of the people who have had issues - their CS seems great.

gracie's mom
12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Well, I got my backpack yesterday, and thankfully, it looks fine. But I have to agree with PPs that there is something "off" about the monogram. I like the colors and the font is the one I chose, but it just doesn't look perfect. Still cute, and I'm happy with my purchase, especially since CS did a great job of fixing my problem.

Momto1
12-03-2010, 11:58 PM
I definitely agree that CS is great. I got disconnected while on the call and the CSR actually called me back!
They're sending me a correctly monogrammed lunch bag (the monogram was the wrong color) and having me send the wrong one back.

sdoyle
12-04-2010, 04:35 AM
My monogram on one of the lunch bags is crooked and the fabric on the bag is all bunched up where it was monogrammed. Really a bad job- I would expect more from Garnet Hill. When I called customer service, they were out of the bag and offered to let me return it for a credit but said that was all I could do.

I decided to just keep it and try to remove the monogram since I can't really give DS a backpack and lunchsack and DD just a backpack.

Anyone know how to remove a monogram??

Stacy

MotownMom
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
The best way is with a seam ripper...Do you have one? If not, you can get in any store that has a sewing/fabric section. It is an instument that has a very sharp point with a little razor-like edge. Meant for pulling the small stitches of a seam out stitch by stitich. You are going to have to literally do stitch by stitch. There MAY be leftover unsightly perforations.

Melanie
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
My monogram on one of the lunch bags is crooked and the fabric on the bag is all bunched up where it was monogrammed. Really a bad job- I would expect more from Garnet Hill. When I called customer service, they were out of the bag and offered to let me return it for a credit but said that was all I could do.

I decided to just keep it and try to remove the monogram since I can't really give DS a backpack and lunchsack and DD just a backpack.

Anyone know how to remove a monogram??

Stacy

I'd try a seam ripper, too. From the back, in case you miss. ;)

You could get a cute patch to hand-sew over where it was, to hid the holes.

sdoyle
12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
The best way is with a seam ripper...Do you have one? If not, you can get in any store that has a sewing/fabric section. It is an instument that has a very sharp point with a little razor-like edge. Meant for pulling the small stitches of a seam out stitch by stitich. You are going to have to literally do stitch by stitch. There MAY be leftover unsightly perforations.

Thanks MotownMom! I do have a seam ripper. Maybe I'll try a small spot first.

Stacy

hellokitty
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I broke down and ordered the dog and monster backpacks for my older boys with the 40% off and FS deal. The monogramming came out ok. The font came out ok, I chose style #2 proper. For the dog one, I got Tobaggon as the monogram color and it looks really nice, it stands out and doesn't look odd. For the monster, I got purple haze as the monogram color and once again it looks nice and you can actually read it. The only thing I am not so thrilled with is that on the lunchbox, they used all caps on the monogram (our last name is really short), but on the backpack they used upper case and lower case, which is the way it's supposed to be. And also, the pocket in the front of the lunchboxes are both slightly crooked, regardless of how the monogram looks. Anyone else notice this? I had to ask my DH if he saw it too and he agreed with me that it's crooked. I can live with it for the price I paid for it. Overall though, I like the backpack pretty well. It's still too big for my two older boys, so they will use their LL Bean Critter bags for a couple more yrs before switching over to the GH ones. I also had to have them credit back my cc for $24, that they charged me for the monogramming.

mom2mack&max
12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I broke down and ordered the dog and monster backpacks for my older boys with the 40% off and FS deal. The monogramming came out ok. The font came out ok, I chose style #2 proper. For the dog one, I got Tobaggon as the monogram color and it looks really nice, it stands out and doesn't look odd. For the monster, I got purple haze as the monogram color and once again it looks nice and you can actually read it. The only thing I am not so thrilled with is that on the lunchbox, they used all caps on the monogram (our last name is really short), but on the backpack they used upper case and lower case, which is the way it's supposed to be. And also, the pocket in the front of the lunchboxes are both slightly crooked, regardless of how the monogram looks. Anyone else notice this? I had to ask my DH if he saw it too and he agreed with me that it's crooked. I can live with it for the price I paid for it. Overall though, I like the backpack pretty well. It's still too big for my two older boys, so they will use their LL Bean Critter bags for a couple more yrs before switching over to the GH ones. I also had to have them credit back my cc for $24, that they charged me for the monogramming.

I ordered the monster lunchbox to go with the backpack I ordered with the earlier sale. I got it today and it is off centered (way to the rt). There is a monster decal below it but I wouldn't think that would affect the fact that it is not centered? Are your intials centered on the monster lunchbox?

MomtoNico
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I order the monster lunchbox and the initials were not centered. Not sure if that is how its suppose to be - but I dont mind.

I just thought it was small.

hellokitty
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I ordered the monster lunchbox to go with the backpack I ordered with the earlier sale. I got it today and it is off centered (way to the rt). There is a monster decal below it but I wouldn't think that would affect the fact that it is not centered? Are your intials centered on the monster lunchbox?

Yes, they were centered. It's funny, after reading about everyone's experiences here, I pretty much expected the monogramming to look horrible. It actually looks ok, but the crooked pocket on the lunch box is annoying, b/c it has nothing to do with the monogramming, and I had contemplated not getting monogramming at all, b/c of all of the comments here. It would have turned out that the lunchbox pocket being crooked would have still been there anyway.

edoudera
12-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Just curious to know how the removal with the seam ripper went for those who tried it. They sent us a backpack with the wrong name on it. I was thinking of removing it instead of sending it back, since its OOS now. Any luck??

randibeth1
12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
After reading a lot of the reviews on here, I was worried about how my son's jr backpack would look. I chose orange stitching and I can't remember which font and it looked really cute. I am happy with the purchase...

mjmamma
12-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Thankfully mine looked great as well.

lchang25000
12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Thankfully mine looked great as well.

:yeahthat:

nicoleflynn
12-28-2010, 02:34 AM
They sent me lunchbox and charged lunchbox + shipping. But they canceled the backpack and said the color was sold out. Now I am left with only lunchbox costing me $10.95. It just doesn't feel right. What should I do? If I send it back, will they reimburse the shipping costs? And the item is customized. I am not sure what their policy on returning the customized items. Such a bummer.

SunshineWedding
12-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I would call them and explain you don't want a lunchbox with no backpack. I have found their customer service to be excellent - but that may not be everyone's experiences

Binkandabee
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Really disappointed in Garnet Hill's monogramming, but happy with their service. My replacement order also had problems with a backpack monogram (it was frayed...not even sure how/why it was sent out that way) and I received it three days before Christmas. Called and requested yet another replacement...figuring I'd have to give the frayed backpack and let my friend know that a replacement is coming that we can switch out. Lo and behold....a new backpack with perfect monogramming arrived on Christmas eve....a two day turnaround!

It took more than a month and three different orders, but in the end all is correct and I was able to give my friend's 3 children matching backpacks and lunchsacks for Christmas.

theloo
12-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Are the backpacks really just for kids? I need one (not too big) for myself, but don't know if these would be too small for an adult.

Momit
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I order the monster lunchbox and the initials were not centered. Not sure if that is how its suppose to be - but I dont mind.

I just thought it was small.

I got the monster lunch pack too, but I haven't seen it yet. I remember reading something about centering and monogramming - and this is what it says on their website: "Please note that images on the front pocket are not centered to allow for monogramming." The monogram in the photo is definitely centered.

Momit
12-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Are the backpacks really just for kids? I need one (not too big) for myself, but don't know if these would be too small for an adult.

It says age 7+ and the dimensions are 18"H x 12"W x 7"D - not sure how that compares to a standard backpack. I got the Garnet Hill Jr. one for DS and it's quite large.