PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning painted baseboards/doors?

AbbysMom
11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I've been motivated to deep clean lately and thought I was doing well. But then I looked at my bathroom today and the door and white beadboard baseboards were so dirty! What do you use to clean them?

brittone2
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
At my old house I did all of our baseboards before our house went on the market w/ the Mr. Clean magic eraser. Test first though to see how it affects color/sheen for your paint.

AbbysMom
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I was thinking of doing the Magic Eraser as my first deep-clean but I have been wondering about weekly upkeep on them and on my kitchen cabinets too. I'm thinking soap and water might be OK on the painted surface on a weekly basis?

My kitchen cabinets are another issue altogether. They are wood (not painted). They have grease with dust on them. I've tried tried wiping with soap and water but they are still sticky...

lkarp
11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Try Murphy's Oil Soap for the cabinets. I think it works well on cutting the grease.

m448
11-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Our all purpose cleaning cloths are those microfiber car wash ones so I wet one with water and lightly scrub/wipe. Works everytime. Those things are amazing.

erosenst
11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
You may very well need the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for this round. But once it's done, if you use a swiffer duster every week, that should be enough. If there are scuffs, you can use the microfiber rag and water to get them off.

I swiffer ours MAYBE once a month, and it's enough to keep our white baseboards clean. But we only have one kid, and we're all gone a lot.

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Just a rag and a bit of diluted castile soap.

Beth

gamma
11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Microfiber cloth and windex. Also works wonders on my white cabinets.

SammyeGail
11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I like good old fashioned liquid dish detergent in hot water with an old cloth. (I put in in a bowl and carry it around), sometimes a dry cloth to wipe off. Our baseboards have a detailed top that loved dust. I need more microfiber clothes!

A magic eraser for more stubborn marks/scuffs is an awesome recommendation! Glad I saw this thread, I would have never thought of it!

bigsis
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Microfiber cloth and windex. Also works wonders on my white cabinets.

I do this but with old socks. Does the microfiber cloth make that big of a difference?

When I start doing this with old socks on my hand & arm, the kids love to pitch in :)

m448
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
they do because I use only water and have large dirty dogs.

the trick for microfiber cloths to be absorbant OR scrubby is to wet it and wring out well first. Otherwise you'll be left wondering what the big fuss is about.