PDA

View Full Version : book series recs for boys (2nd grade level)

lil_acorn
11-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm looking for some book recommendations for my 6 year old. He is in 1st grade but probably reading at a 2nd-3rd grade level. We have been reading harry potter together and the star wars chapter books (geared towards 6-8 year olds per borders).

I was thinking it might be good for him to find some other series types books. Any recommendations?

TIA!

ilfaith
11-12-2010, 02:22 PM
My 6-year-old loves the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and "Captain Underpants" series. He also enjoys the Magic Tree House books.

brittone2
11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh goodness, we've been going through this. DS1 is a voracious reader and reads above grade level. However, he's very sensitive and finds a lot of topics too scary (HP would not fly with him yet, although I'm ready for him to get there!). Finding appropriately challenging reading that is not too scary/dark has been tough for us. If your kids aren't easily scared that makes life much easier!

He's done a lot of Boxcar Children and Magic Treehouse.

He liked the Mouse and the Motorcycle series. Liked Henry Huggins/Ribsy and those books. Liked one of the Fudge books too but one of them reveals that Santa isn't real and we aren't ready for that yet, so just be aware of that if it is an issue for your family (I forget which of the Fudge books reveals it...Double Fudge or SuperFudge?).

I just got a ton of stuff out of the library for him the other night...Catwings series was one that is a series.

I've read recommendations that the Betsy Tacy books are very gentle. DS1 hasn't gotten to those yet. Maybe too boring/gentle if your kid likes HP.

Danny Dunn series is supposedly about a science crazy kid but our library didn't have these. I have them jotted down to request via ILL.

Eddie and Betsy / Billy series is another recommendation I found

All of a Kind Family series is another I have jotted down but DS1 hasn't read yet.

Timewarp Trio series

I have a bunch of single book recommendations around here too.

Little House on the Prairie is another series that DS1 has enjoyed.

Not sure about Lemony Snickett Series of Unfortunate Events? I have those here but don't think DS1 is ready for them yet.

He read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh and the sequel but I suppose that's not really a series.

The Guardians of Gahool (I think I butchered the spelling) might be an option if DC can handle HP. Don't quote me on that. Too dark for my DS1 but he loved the preview when we went to the movies.

AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh books?

I'll be watching this thread. DS1 is devouring books and I'm struggling to keep up with finding enough appropriate titles for him.

sariana
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Are you looking for more books to read together, or books for him to read on his own?

If it's to read together, and he likes Harry Potter, he might like The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix. It is a six-book complete series, much shorter books than HP.

Another good series is the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. These also would be for reading together. They have a lot of British dialect.

For reading to himself, I am a fan of the classics: Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume. My DS is in first and not reading much on his own yet, but he loves when I read him the Henry Huggins books, the Mouse and the Motorcycle series, and the Ramona books. (I haven't read Judy Blume with him yet.) His teacher reads the Ramona books at school, too.

Does he like science? The Magic School Bus has a series of chapter books. (I saw them in a recent Scholastic flyer.)

sariana
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Liked one of the Fudge books too but one of them reveals that Santa isn't real and we aren't ready for that yet, so just be aware of that if it is an issue for your family (I forget which of the Fudge books reveals it...Double Fudge or SuperFudge?).

This is good to know.

Henry and the Clubhouse verges on this, too. Ramona says, "Look what Santa Claus brought me!" and then on the next page Beezus tells Henry her mother made it for Ramona. I was reading aloud and just skipped over Ramona's line (DS didn't notice). I think I changed it to, "Look what I got for Christmas!"

brittone2
11-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Here's a link I used to find a few new things for DS1 when we hit the library the other night:
http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/gifted/giftedkidsbooks.html (http://home.comcast.net/%7Easkpauline/gifted/giftedkidsbooks.html)

I get into the library and just get stumped sometimes.

Oh, and I totally forgot. DS1 has loved Geronimo Stilton (recommended by a BFF of mine :) ) and has liked the Cam Jansen series but seems to be kind of over CJ currently. Oh and the A to Z mysteries, sometimes.

alexsmommy
11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
DS1 is alternating between "Captain Underpants", "Encyclopedia Brown", "Nate the Great" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

lalasmama
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
La's teacher is reading them Flat Stanley right now, and she's loving it. There's apparently at least a few Stanley books now, as I just saw a different one in the Scholastic brochure thingy last week.

Gena
11-12-2010, 02:56 PM
DS loves the "Roscoe Riley Rules" series. He also likes the "Flat Stanley" books.

ECMom
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Jack Russell Dog Detective, Hardy Boys (for young kids), Ricky Ricotta.

o_mom
11-12-2010, 03:06 PM
DS1 just read "The Castle in the Attic" and it was perfect for him. The reading level is a bit higher (5.0), but it has magic, etc. while not being too scary (certainly much tamer than HP, for example). I know there is at least one sequel, but I haven't checked it out yet.

MelissaTC
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
M loved the Andrew Lost series- http://www.andrewlost.com/ and Stink Moody http://www.stinkmoody.com/

brittone2
11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
M loved the Andrew Lost series- http://www.andrewlost.com/ / (http://www.stinkmoody.com/)

THanks for this recommendation...DS1 would love this I think.

KpbS
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM
DS1 loves the Boxcar Children series and has read many of those. He also likes Encyclopedia Brown and has read a couple of the A-Z mysteries and the Bailey School Kids books.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
11-12-2010, 04:36 PM
My second grader reads the 39 clues series. (and DH and I do, too!)
He also likes Magic Tree House, although not as much as 39 clues.

caleymama
11-12-2010, 04:41 PM
DD1 has enjoyed many that are mentioned here already (but no HP yet - she's coming around, though, I think!).
Geronimo Stilton, Encyclopedia Brown, Guardians of Ga'Hool, Cam Jansen, Magic Treehouse, Hardy Boys (secret files series) & Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew....

Some others she liked/likes that might appeal to a 2nd grade boy:
Secrets of Droon series (she LOVED this series the summer before 2nd grade and re-read many of them last year)
Ghosthunters series by Cornelia Funke
Bunnicula series
Akimbo series by Alexander McCall Smith
Time Spies series by Candice Ransom
My Father's Dragon trilogy
Commander Toad series
Adirondack Kids series
The Littles series
Jigsaw Jones

groundhog74
11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
DS love the Magic School Bus books. He also likes Nate the Great, Cam Jansen and Black Lagoon books.

wendmatt
11-12-2010, 11:34 PM
How to Train your Dragon
HOw to Speak Dragonese
How to be a Pirate
I think there are 6 books (not sure) . The movie was based on them but they are quite different. DD LOVES them and reads them voraciously, they are fun and easy to read. We get them at the library, by Cressida Cowell

Momof3Labs
11-12-2010, 11:54 PM
DS1 read Percy Jackson after he finished the first four HP books and says that Percy Jackson is better than HP. I haven't had a chance to read one to find out for myself - I love HP!

shishamo
11-13-2010, 01:52 AM
My daughter also went to Percy Jackson after HP. She adores HP (she read it in 1st grade, and she's has re-read it over and over) and she loved Percy jackson series. I just finished the new one (The Lost Hero) and it was really good!

hellbennt
11-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
and I read James & the Giant Peach to him
Also I read aloud the complete works of Beatrix Potter &
AA Milne Pooh stories