PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me with Black Friday sales and DSLRs?

twowhat?
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I know really nothing about DSLRs. Other than that I think I want one because even the best point-and-shoot has trouble with two 2yos that are constantly moving. I think I'm looking for an entry-level DSLR that has some room for growth (I am willing to learn). But I'm having trouble sifting through all the sales beacuse I have no idea how to compare this camera to that camera and this lens kit to that lens kit.

Any recommendations?

m448
11-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Dpreview is a good place to look for detailed comparisons. Once you get familiar with the dslr camera in general it's easy to compare features. Do you have a local camera shop?

Babymakes3
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I saw a Canon Rebel XS in the Best Buy black friday ad, I forget what it came with but I highly recommend the Canon Rebel!

The only lens I have added is the 50mm and it's just under $100. I want a zoom lens but haven't figured out what the differences are to know which one to purchase.

mrspeachykeen
11-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Costco has one of the best deals that I've found right now. The Canon T1i with 2 lens(one regular and one telephoto), bag, etc for $699 in stores. On Amazon the camera and regular lens are $699 and the telephoto is another $200.

larig
11-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Costco has one of the best deals that I've found right now. The Canon T1i with 2 lens(one regular and one telephoto), bag, etc for $699 in stores. On Amazon the camera and regular lens are $699 and the telephoto is another $200.

seriously?! I bought around sept 20 this very camera with 1 lens for $679 from costco. Looks like I'm returning this and getting the one with two lenses. Thanks mrspeachykeen!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Dpreview is a good place to look for detailed comparisons. Once you get familiar with the dslr camera in general it's easy to compare features. Do you have a local camera shop?
:yeahthat:

also, IMO to be able to get good picture of fast-moving kids *indoors* you will need more than just a DSLR, you need a fast lens. I can't really get great pics of my son indoors (where we are 95% of the time) with just the kit lens on my DSLR (nikon d5000)...the aperture doesn't open wide enough. i bought a fast (max aperture f/1.8) prime lens (35mm) and that is what i use for taking pics of my DS indoors.

theriviera
11-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I just bought the Canon T1. Per the board I checked out Costco this morning but the camera + 2 lenses was $799.99. I went to Amazon and was set to buy the camera + 1 lens from there and I noticed a promotion. When you put the Canon 55-250 IS zoom telephoto lens (currently $207) in your cart and use the code: 5525OOCT they take $200 automatically off so it's basically free.

I got the camera + 2 lenses for just over $700!

nabigus
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Any updates on fabulous deals? I'm just finding this thread, and we're (almost) ready to pull the trigger. Bummed I missed the Amazon deal.

larig
11-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I haven't seen anything compelling enough to return my Canon T1i + kit lens that I bought at Costco for $679. The Amazon deal probably was close, but I'm holding out for better. I bought mine 9/21, so I think that I have until 12/21 to return. I keep thinking it will drop more. Maybe not. If not, I feel fine with the price I paid. ETA: I'm hoping it's costco that drops it. And I'm not sure if I'd rather have the extra lens or a cheaper overall price for the body + kit.

m448
11-20-2010, 01:21 PM
If you haven't opened an amazon account them that might be worth it. I recently purchased the t2i body only and had hubba open his account as well as redeeming point on my amazon card to bring down the total.