PDA

View Full Version : Best First Lego Set?

stephanie2377
11-12-2010, 07:44 PM
My son is 5.5yo and we've decided to get him his first Lego set for Christmas. I am overwhelmed!!

Which set would be best for a first set? I've been some of the buckets on amazon.com but some of the reviews state that they have too many tiny blocks (and not enough of other sizes to build much)

Do I need to get him just one general bucket? Should I get him accessories? I know he'd love to build cars and houses. I don't want to go overboard in fear he won't be into Legos. But, I want to get him started with a good set for Christmas.

I'd love some input!
Thank you!!
Stephanie

elephantmeg
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
a general bucket and then if you have a lego store stock up on the wheels etc from their fill a cup area. They have all sorts of stuff there! We also have a construction kit that was reasonable and age appropriate. But def a general bucket!

http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=6187&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

baileygirl
11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I would get this: http://shop.lego.com/ByAge/Product.aspx?p=6187&cn=100003&d=100001 if you think he would like to build cars.

KrisM
11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I think it depends on your DS. Mine is not an overly imaginative, creative kid. He is very logical and likes to follow directions. And, he still loves trains. So, he got the big train set last year, as his first Lego kit. It was a huge hit and he spent an entire day putting it together. He runs it quite often still and is getting more trains for this year.

DD is getting her first set this year and is getting the large pink box, as she likes to build what suits her.

ett
11-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I think it depends on your DS. Mine is not an overly imaginative, creative kid. He is very logical and likes to follow directions. And, he still loves trains. So, he got the big train set last year, as his first Lego kit. It was a huge hit and he spent an entire day putting it together. He runs it quite often still and is getting more trains for this year.

:yeahthat: DS1 got a bucket of Legos when he was 4 but he really didn't get into them until I bought him the Lego City Police Command Center set the following year for Christmas. It was an impulse purchase when I saw a good deal at Amazon and it was the biggest hit that Christmas.