PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: It Fits! - True Fit Premier Questions

AshleyAnn
11-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Update: I got the TFP today and it fits in both cars. :boogie: Its HUGE in the celica and requires the front passanger seat to be all the way forward but it can be done. I installed it in the dark so I can't verify the recline angle to determine if I could go more upright but I'm hoping I can. Not sure I like the lock offs on it but besides that I am very happy. Once you get the stupid things to lock it is solid as a rock.

OP:
I'm still debating convertibles and have decided on a TF even though the removable headrest feature is useless to me. I have to buy it online which makes things tricky. DD is 22/23lbs and 32inchs tall and is almost 12 months.

DH has a 2 door sports car with very deep contoured seats with stupid fixed seatbelt buckles that are several inches front the seat blight but it does have LATCH. The SR35 fit well but I'm concerned how a convertible is going to work out. Any experience with this seat in tricky installs? How far forward does the ARB move the seat compared to the orginal model? Can you use the recline and pool noodles together? Its so hard to tell from pictures if its going to work in his car but we need a seat for weekends/long trips (gas mileage).

I also saw a car-seat.org poster say that it can't touch the seat in front of it, can someone verify if that is correct?

Does the ARB get hot to the touch? I'm in SC where cars are well over 100 degrees most of the time and dark plastic gets hot.

Thanks in advance!

Joolsplus2
11-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow, that's a tall baby!
What car?
TFP might work, you can squish it more upright than the TF because the bar is self-limiting, makes the install way more solid (not sure what I'm saying, but 'it might work', lol). The bar's at her feet, no hotter than the vehicle interior, though you could tuck a thin towel over it. You won't need pool noodles, though one might help even out your seat contour.

Not touching the front passenger seat is sort of the issue, if that car has advanced airbags, you wouldn't want the seat crammed so hard against the seatback that it would counteract your own weight and turn the airbag off with you in the car (there will be 'don't put large cargo up against the seatback' in the airbag section of the vehicle manual if this is a concern, maybe nothing in the carseat section).

Another seat that might work, that you can try out, is the Evenflo Symphony, or Tribute 5, or Cosco Scenera (Safety First Onside Air is fancier with head protection)...even the Roundabout 55 might work, as it takes up less front-to-back space than the old Britaxes.

I guess buying the TFP from a store that allows instore returns would be your best bet just in case it doesn't work.

AshleyAnn
11-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks Jools!

The car is a Toyota Celica with the sport package. Its tiny and the seats are about as uncar seat friendly as they can be.

It does not have advanced airbags and the TFP manual makes it sound like this is more an issue of angle than crash performance so that solves the biggest issue. Unfortunately I've tried 3 out of the 4 seats you've suggested and they either have next to no growing room or don't install well.

Joolsplus2
11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Oh, yeah, the Celica...nearly as nightmarish as the Mercury Cougar...<shudder>. Fingers SO crossed for you for the TFP working!

AshleyAnn
11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Seriously, the Cougar is worse? When shopping for our Celica we had 3 differnet sellers say "I love it but the we're having a baby/had a baby and I can't find a car seat that fits." I already had the tech cert and knew it could be done but it wouldn't be easy.

I ordered the TFP this morning. I went back and forth between the TFR and TFP but AlbeeBaby put the Premier on sale this morning for less than a Recline so I bought it. The evenflo triumph advanced fits well but has very limited RFing growing room so thats plan B.

christiedavid3
11-15-2010, 02:36 PM
good luck!

My dad drives a '99 Mercury Cougar and it SUCKS for carseat installs. I have my DS's Uptown installed FFing behind the driver in his car. I am still not happy with the install, but it's tight, and he only rides very occasionally with grandpa.

BabyBearsMom
11-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I had a terrible tiny back seat (and DH and I are both super tall) and we had a TFP. It was pretty much the only seat that fit. I went to Buy Buy Baby and they tried every seat they had in my car and the TFP was the winner. I have since gotten rid of the car, by the First Year's has AWESOME customer service and I would recommend the seat.

AshleyAnn
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Update in first post