PDA

View Full Version : Toddler bike helmet

Krisrich
11-13-2010, 03:59 PM
DD (turning two) will be getting a trike and a balance bike from relatives for her birthday/Christmas. I think I should get her a helmet as well. Any recommendations? Thanks!

LaCostaMom
11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
DD has a Schwinn toddler helmet that we just bought at Target. Easy to adjust and fits her well (she's a petite 2.5 yr old). I think it was around $18. They also carry Bell but they didn't have anything in her size.

DS has a toddler Bell Hot Wheels helmet. I don't remember how much it cost but I think around $20.

BTW - I think it's great you are getting your DD a helmet. We had the kids wear helmets as soon as they started riding anything outside (2 yrs). Now, they automatically reach for the helmets when they know we're going out to ride. :)

new_mommy25
11-13-2010, 08:56 PM
When DS was one I bought him a Lil' Bell Shell. He used it with his trike and it was a good fit. Then I discovered the helmets with the adjustable knob and haven't gone back. DD has a Giro. Not sure of the model but I think I bought it right before she turned two. DS has a Bell Trigger. I have bought all their helmets from our local bike shop because they fit and adjust the helmets perfectly for them.

They both need new helmets and I have been looking at the Bell Faction/Fraction. They provide more coverage than their current bike helmets which I think is needed since they both also ride scooters at the skate park. http://www.bellsports.com/kids/fraction

eta: DD has the Giro Rodeo. I bought it before she turned 2. She is 4.5 and it still fits. I am only replacing it because I think you are supposed to replace helmets every 2 or 3 years.

christiedavid3
11-13-2010, 09:01 PM
When DS was one I bought him a Lil' Bell Shell. He used it with his trike and it was a good fit. Then I discovered the helmets with the adjustable knob and haven't gone back. DD has a Giro. Not sure of the model but I think I bought it right before she turned two. DS has a Bell Trigger. I have bought all their helmets from our local bike shop because they fit and adjust the helmets perfectly for them.

They both need new helmets and I have been looking at the Bell Faction/Fraction. They provide more coverage than their current bike helmets which I think is needed since they both also ride scooters at the skate park. http://www.bellsports.com/kids/fraction

We have the Fraction and it's great, DS also wears it for ice skating.

Dr C
11-13-2010, 09:03 PM
We have this
http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Me2-Infant-Bike-Helmet/dp/B000FABD0G
It's been great. Very comfortable with a little wheel in back to adjust the fit--super easy. Still fits DS and he's 4 now.

Definitely get a helmet--they may start out slow but it won't take long before they're careening around corners and you'll be glad they're wearing one. Plus it just sets the tone early. In our house, if you get cought riding without one, you lose bike priveleges for the rest of the day.

KpbS
11-15-2010, 12:15 AM
I found some smaller sizes at Target when DS1 was that age. That size helmet can be hard to come by.