PDA

View Full Version : Cracked nipples, ouch!

LD92599
11-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh. My. Goodness. I feel like i am back at day 1. Cracked nipples and on thecside i tend to pump more from. I think they started after 6 days of no pumping and then returned back to pumping. I must've had the pump set too high.

Aside from lansinoh, anything else i can do?

momtoonegirl
11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Oh. My. Goodness. I feel like i am back at day 1. Cracked nipples and on thecside i tend to pump more from. I think they started after 6 days of no pumping and then returned back to pumping. I must've had the pump set too high.

Aside from lansinoh, anything else i can do?

I had good luck treating my cracked nipple with soothies gel pads, and letting some breast milk dry on the crack before putting lanolin on it.

LD92599
11-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I had good luck treating my cracked nipple with soothies gel pads, and letting some breast milk dry on the crack before putting lanolin on it.

I have gel pads! I'm running upstairs to grab them, thanks for the suggestion! And i'll express some BM too.

marymoo86
11-13-2010, 09:17 PM

:yeahthat:

also expose air as much as possible

longtallsally05
11-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Oy, hope you heal up asap! I second the expressed breastmilk and Soothies ideas. If you are concerned about bacterial infection, my friend's LC told her that a little bacitracin can help; just gently wipe it off before feeding/ pumping. Of course, you can't use Soothies @ the same time as bacitracin or Lansinoh, per the instructions. FWIW, Lansinoh has never done much for me, unless you count the fact that it makes the world's best lip balm before going to bed @ night. Feel better soon!

luckytwenty
11-14-2010, 09:40 AM
The soothies are great, and I really like First Years' Nipple Butter (it's a non-lanolin cream for BF mothers.) I had the same problem the first week and actually had bleeding--yikes did that freak me out!! By the end of the first week the pain was a lot better, and now (almost 2 weeks) it only hurts if the latch is bad OR he's been nursing every hour, which he does in the afternoon until it's late.