PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag for DH for Xmas?

mjs64
11-14-2010, 01:47 AM
So my first is due at the beginning of February, and I've been collecting gear. I have my own diaper bag and I'm wondering

1. IF I should get my DH a diaper bag for xmas and
2. If so, which one?

Is a diaper bag a totally lame xmas gift? It's really more for me, as in, I don't want necessarily to share mine--or do I? Is one diaper bag for the new family enough? Or should I go ahead and get one for him? I've been looking at the Skip Hop Duo--is that masculine enough? He's already made fun of the "Diaper Dude" brand, so I don't want to go that route.

MoJo
11-14-2010, 03:44 AM
My DH loves his "Daddy Vest." I think there's one out there by that name, but he has enjoyed experimenting with a variety of cargo vests. His fave is the ScottEVest because it's less bulky. And its usefulness should last longer than his diaper-carrying days.

He also found a diaper bag at BRU that he liked enough that he bought it for carrying his work materials. But it has never seen a diaper. (He doesn't like carrying something else when he's already carrying a child, so the vest is perfect for him.)

infomama
11-14-2010, 04:57 AM
I had two diaper bags and the main one I used was black messenger style so DH was totally fine using it. If I had a Petunia Pickle Bottom bag or something really girly I may consider getting one more neutral.

If he is making fun of diaper bags marketed to guys..he doesn't want one.

lhafer
11-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Frankly, a plain back pack or something similar, or the vest like a pp mentioned would probably be just fine. Then he could have it for other uses after diaper phase is over.

arivecchi
11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
DH used our Diaper Dude messenger style bag without complaints. :)

Gracemom
11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Have you seen the new dad bag from Ju Ju Be? It's called the BeHip and it looks great - lightweight and can fit a 15 in. laptop, I think. http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01342
It's a bit more interesting to me than a black bag,and JJB quality is amazing.

larig
11-14-2010, 11:18 AM

:yeahthat:
it was really just a plain black messenger with 3 pockets (bottle shaped) on the front. We ended up using his more than mine.

If he's not into a diaper bag, why not buy him some diaper bag accessories, so he could use whatever bag he wanted. In other words, buy him a changing pad, a little wipes container, and insulated sleeve to keep a bottle in, etc.?

http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Pronto-Changer-Diaper/dp/B000F1SCJK

mackmama
11-14-2010, 11:21 PM
I am in a similar position and thought a diaper bag or vest for DH would be a great gift. I searched everywhere for one I thought he'd like and finally asked him if he'd like one. He does not. He said he's happy to carry the one I bought for myself (well actually I bought 2 :innocent:). So you might want to ask your DH first if he wants one first? If you have a gender-neutral bag already, that might work fine for the 2 of you.

If you do get him one, I really like the JJB someone else posted and this one http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/scout/journeypackcompact/

artvandalay
11-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Honestly he can just use any backpack, like a Columbia or Northface or whatever. He can buy one of those changing pad combos where the wipes/diapers fit inside (Skip Hop makes one but there are cheaper ones) and also buy an insulated bag if you use bottles. He really doesn't need a specific "diaper bag".

artvandalay
11-14-2010, 11:46 PM
This is the changing pad I have.. you can put wipes and a few diapers in it, works great

http://www.target.com/First-Years-Deluxe-Fold-Diapering/dp/B003ZK5O58/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=wipes%20travel&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-9&qid=1289792731&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=First%20Years%20Deluxe%20Fold%20Diapering&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

BabyBearsMom
11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't think it is a lame present. My DH has this bag: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3199293

It is masculine enough for him to use and not think it is a purse, fits tons of stuff and very easy to use. I actually usually use this instead of my diaper bag too.

Momto1
11-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I was also going to recommend the JJB BeHip. Seems like a really cool bag. If my DH regularly took DD out without me, I'd totally get him one.

YouAreTheFocus
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

:yeahthat:
it was really just a plain black messenger with 3 pockets (bottle shaped) on the front. We ended up using his more than mine.

I third this. My husband registered for & received a diaper dude messenger in orange. It ended up being the only diaper bag we ever use. Usually we are all out together, so a purse-y one wouldn't work. And if I go somewhere solo, I'm not going to switch all the stuff over just to carry a girly bag!

weech
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
I bought DH a diaper bag last Christmas. It wasn't his only gift, but it was a fun thing to get him a little more excited about the baby. I got my own diaper bag (babymel amanda) and we actually use his as the primary bag now.

http://www.diaperdude.com/store/navy-c-251-p-1-pr-16225.html

stinkyfeet
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't get him a diaper bag as an Xmas present (or only Xmas present). I'm sure the are other things he'd rather have. :)

trcy
11-16-2010, 03:12 PM
My mom got me a brown Vera Bradley diaper bag and DH nearly had a stroke. He found a black columbia bag at BRU and I added it to our registry. He was so happy when we got it at a baby shower. I don't think it would be a bad gift.

army_mom
11-17-2010, 12:34 AM
I originally bought this bag for DH but now it is our only diaper bag. (thinking I need to sell the girlie diaper bags...) DH also has a bag he bought specifically for his car that stays there that has "emergency" change of clothes, diapers, wipes, food, etc. Since we almost always take his car, it has come in handy more than once!

http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01270

Armywife1stDr2nd
11-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Another vote for the JuJuBe "Be Hip." This is what I am getting DH for xmas....along with some other things too.....I am very particular about how I pack my diaper bag and what I put in it so it's just best for us that DH has his own bag. That way he has one that is always kept packed too.

tmahanes
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
DH wanted his own bag because mine are girly (Java Blue VB one, and Pewter Dot SH one). Then he realized that he would have to pack his own and make sure everything was in there. He changed his mind. He carries my girly purse diaper bags all the time. :wink2:

mackmama
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
DH wanted his own bag because mine are girly (Java Blue VB one, and Pewter Dot SH one). Then he realized that he would have to pack his own and make sure everything was in there. He changed his mind.

:rotflmao: My DH would be the same way!