PDA

View Full Version : barbie/video girl

calv
11-14-2010, 08:52 AM
anyone have this or is on their child's xmas list? I'm not too sure if I should buy it or not. On sale this week at target though.

Thoughts on this product?

eta: has anyone seen it cheaper on any of the BF ads other than the $35 - $5 (coupon) from target

daisymommy
11-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I was just reading an article that people are trying to get the toy pulled/recalled. Apparently your DD takes video footage with the toy, and it can be broadcast via satellite? some kind of frequency--I forget--but hackers that are out there scanning the waves can capture the videos very easily, because it is on unsecured waves. I'm not a science person, so I didn't really understand the science behind it, but they were saying it's scary that little girls can be viewed by sickos out there if they wanted to! Yikes!

Update: this is NOT true information. Update below.

calv
11-14-2010, 02:13 PM
really? interesting. do you happen to have the link for it? thanks for the heads up!

kellybelly0513
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I searched for info on this because I was thinking about buying it for my dd and I can't find anything at all. Do you know where you read it at?

egoldber
11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
It looks like you need to connect the doll to the computer via a USB cable to upload the video. There does not seem to be any sort of wifi, so I don't see how anyone could get the video, unless you have wireless yourself at home. But then you have that issue with any video on your home computer if you upload via wireless.

Although I am curious where you plug in the USB cable. ;)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL!

this doll creeps me out.

I can't even look at her as I walk past in Target! LOL

daisymommy
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I'll ask DH where he found it. He was reading the article to me this weekend.

daisymommy
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Update:
I talked to DH, and did some digging around. It was originally a radio talk show that DH was listening to on his way to work that said all things I originally posted. DH then looked it up online and was reading it to me. It's no longer there now--most likely because they were misinformed.

Turns out the fear that everyone has is not that the video footage will somehow be out there on "unsecured" air waves or whatever, that people can view (which is what they were claiming on this radio station & website), but rather that parents are afraid their kids will upload footage of themselves to Youtube or Skype without their parents knowledge not realize that wackos could be watching their kids.

So basically, common sense here. Don't give your kids the USB cable, and most little kids don't know how to upload video without help either. If they do, have a talk with them about the dangers of doing so, yada yada, etc.

So sorry for my alarmist posting earlier!

kellybelly0513
11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the update!

Twoboos
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
LOL!

this doll creeps me out.

I can't even look at her as I walk past in Target! LOL

:yeahthat: Seriously. I don't need Big Barbie watching me, LOL!!