PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your beading kit (or teach me how to make a DIY kit)

sansdieu
11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
So I've decided that DD needs to do beading (as part of her vision therapy). What kind of beading kits would be appropriate and FUN for a 3-yr-old with very little patience? I know M&D has some.

Or what exactly and where can I go to make my own kit? She loves jewelry and anything that glitters.

Thanks!

minnie-zb
11-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd start with the Melissa & Doug ones -- at 3 I'd be concerned about the manual dexterity issues with the smaller, fancy beads. I bead and my daughter started wanting to do stuff at about 3, but it was hard for her to use my beads. Another option would be to go to Michael's and get some pretty acrylic faceted beads -- they are larger, not too expensive and are sparkly. I'd also get some beading elastic (http://www.artbeads.com/stringing-materials-stretch-magic.html). You can buy the elastic at Michael's but I wanted you to know what you are looking for.

sansdieu
11-15-2010, 05:44 PM
I'd start with the Melissa & Doug ones -- at 3 I'd be concerned about the manual dexterity issues with the smaller, fancy beads. I bead and my daughter started wanting to do stuff at about 3, but it was hard for her to use my beads. Another option would be to go to Michael's and get some pretty acrylic faceted beads -- they are larger, not too expensive and are sparkly. I'd also get some beading elastic (http://www.artbeads.com/stringing-materials-stretch-magic.html). You can buy the elastic at Michael's but I wanted you to know what you are looking for.

Thank you! I'm totally clueless, when it comes to beading - so the link is most appreciated.

lines
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't know if you're a costco member, but I did see a beading kit with wooden beads and a cute drawer set for everything there a little while ago.

sansdieu
11-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know if you're a costco member, but I did see a beading kit with wooden beads and a cute drawer set for everything there a little while ago.

I am a member (actually I'm heading to Costco tomorrow anyway, so I'll check them). Thanks!