PDA

View Full Version : Signing DVDs

charmcitymom
11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Hello,

Folks have recommended getting signing DVDs for my 15 month old DS. I noticed that there are different kinds. Signing Times, Baby Signing Times and Baby See n' Sign to name a few. How does everyone feel about the different ones? When do folks use these? I feel like DS is already learning to speak. Do we even need these?

Thanks for any help!

larig
11-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I like baby signing time. It seems to be geared toward younger kids, IMO.

DebbieJ
11-14-2010, 05:46 PM
We like the original Signing Time. They did not have Baby Signing Time when we first got them, so that's all we've known. I like that they teach real ASL. Watch for other programs that teach "baby signing"--it's not real ASL.

naam
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
We like the original Signing Time. They did not have Baby Signing Time when we first got them, so that's all we've known. I like that they teach real ASL. Watch for other programs that teach "baby signing"--it's not real ASL.

We like both Baby Signing Time and regular Signing Time. DD is speech delayed so these series have been a blessing. And it is actual ASL. Rachel Coleman (the creator) has a daughter (Leah) who is deaf and she wanted to teach others ASL so her DD would be able to communicate with more people. They only teach a couple signs at a time, though, to make it easier for kids and parents to learn.

kristac
11-14-2010, 06:53 PM
With DS1 we used Signing Time. He knew probably over 100 signs at 18 months. He was a late talker and signing was invaluable to us. DS2 was not as interested in signing- we also were not as consistant teaching him to sign so he did not have as large a signing vocabulary. We did try a few of the Baby Signing Times videos and they were cute.

vonfirmath
11-14-2010, 11:26 PM
I like the baby signing time and would get that for a 15 month old (or an infant). Then start on the Signing Time videos after!

Tammy
11-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I would also recommend Baby Signing Time. DD loved it and really got into the songs and still sings them. It seemed to help her remember the signs as well.

Smillow
11-14-2010, 11:41 PM
:love5:We love Signing Time (not baby) here:cheerleader1: DS started watching @15 months (now 20 months) and I think they help me know what it is that he is saying (he signs & talks - neither very clearly but the signing helps a lot!). He knows many, many signs and counts to 5 and can say the alphabet & recognizes the manual alphabet out of order. We live in the same town as out state school for the deaf, so I am very interested in him learning ASL as a 2nd language. He really loves ST - we were out of town for 10 days & I didn't bring any DVDs with me & he kept asking to watch it. He watches no other television. I think the key is the that there are visual, auditory & tactile components which really get the synapses firing. FWIW, I much prefer the first series to the second. Check your library - ours has all of series 1 available to check out.

I think Rachel Coleman (Signing Time creator) is a rock star! Check out her blog (http://www.rachelcoleman.com/) for inspiration!

srhs
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I like the baby signing time and would get that for a 15 month old (or an infant). Then start on the Signing Time videos after!

:yeahthat: We have both, definitely start with the baby, IMO. The videos show babies (rather than kids) doing the signs, and babies love babies. :)

charmcitymom
11-15-2010, 02:07 AM
duplicate

charmcitymom
11-15-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We have a multilingual home and this may help DS sort out what he wants to say and to whom. I hadn't thought of it that way before. The other day he came home from day care signing "more". I actually think he was full but that's what got me thinking about this a bit more. I will see what costs what online.
I hesitate on DVDs because I don't want him to watch TV. He presently doesn't watch any unless I have the music choice channels on around him. I wouldn't want him to get used to turning on the big black box, but maybe this is okay as long as I limit it to this. Still considering....

mousemom
11-15-2010, 02:36 AM
DS has a speech-delay and we both love the Baby Signing Time videos. He had already learned basic utilitarian signs in speech therapy (like more, help, all done), but the DVD's have really expanded his signing vocabulary. I found the regular signing time ones to be a little too fast/advanced when we started watching a few months ago, although I think they'd be great a little later on. He watches very little other TV, but these are very interactive because he's watching, signing and saying the words. He often asks to watch them before bed and I find them to be a nice, calm way to wind down in the evening. We've been getting them from the library, so you might want to try your local library to see which you like better before you buy.

jgenie
11-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We have a multilingual home and this may help DS sort out what he wants to say and to whom. I hadn't thought of it that way before. The other day he came home from day care signing "more". I actually think he was full but that's what got me thinking about this a bit more. I will see what costs what online.
I hesitate on DVDs because I don't want him to watch TV. He presently doesn't watch any unless I have the music choice channels on around him. I wouldn't want him to get used to turning on the big black box, but maybe this is okay as long as I limit it to this. Still considering....

You could watch the movies to learn the signs and then teach them to your DS. That is what we are doing for DS2.

wendibird22
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
We have both Baby Signing Time and the regular one (got a deal on the series from Best Buy). DD1 loves them. At age 3.5 she stills requests to watch them. It's one of the few "tv" shows we let her watch. Not only is it great for teaching sign but just introducing new vocabulary and concepts. DD1 went to preschool already knowing the days of the week and the seasons because of it.

srhs
11-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Last year, the Signing Times website did a Black Friday code on their website!
And there were a couple deals through Best Buy in the last year but NOT on the BABY ones. This is a product that is hard to find a deal in IMO. I am one of those crazy couponer/deal blog people, but I have never regretted the ones I bought at full price. They are so good!
Also, check your library.

lchang25000
11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Love, love, love Baby Signing Time!! DS learned most of the signs very quickly!

charmcitymom
11-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi there,

So I decided to go ahead and get these. I hope to be able pass them along to others so I figure I can take the plunge. I see that there are DVDs, CDs and flash cards. Did anyone get the full set with everything? Is it worth it? I feel like only the DVDs will get good use. Am I missing something?

Just checking!

srhs
11-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi there,

So I decided to go ahead and get these. I hope to be able pass them along to others so I figure I can take the plunge. I see that there are DVDs, CDs and flash cards. Did anyone get the full set with everything? Is it worth it? I feel like only the DVDs will get good use. Am I missing something?

Just checking!Eh, I would just get the DVDs, personally. We have the flashcards and CDs, but I would start with the DVDs.

tiapam
11-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi there,

Just checking!

We have gotten the most use out of the DVDs. I thought we could play the CDs in the car but that has not happened very often.

I bet they will have some sort of deal soon, but sometimes it is only for certain products.

ETA: If you sign up for their emails you might get a coupon code.

Smillow
11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
I just recently used the CD's in the car - DS loves the songs, but they don't really help much for signing, IMO - just for keeping him happy (and if he's happy - I'm happy)! Maybe if I were in the backseat with him I could sign along.

tiapam
11-19-2010, 01:56 AM
I think Rachel Coleman (Signing Time creator) is a rock star! Check out her blog (http://www.rachelcoleman.com/) for inspiration!

Wow, I just read her blog and saw that she was recently reunited with a child she put up for adoption 18 years ago!

larig
11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting the link to her blog. She's a really cool lady and a great writer on top of her other many talents.

Smillow
11-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Signingtime.com has a black Friday deal = 50% off individual DVDs, CDs, etc for orders over $50. I got Series 1 Vol 7 - 13 for $82 shipped - Friday only!

theriviera
11-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up - I got a bunch. This is a great deal! :yay: