PDA

View Full Version : Kugel?

MamaSnoo
11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok, I am fully ignorant when it comes to this one.

My MIL wants to make a noodle kugel with eggs, ricotta cheese, sugar, butter for Thanksgiving dinner.

I am trying to be an ok DIL (not really shooting for the stars here), and I am going to have her put it together Weds and bake it on Thursday. But, I have never had kugel before (we are not Jewish, neither is MIL--Irish), and I am having a hard time understanding what it will be like. She said it could be dessert or maindish?!

Could someone with knowledge please fill me in so I know what to expect?

sadie427
11-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure why your Irish mother in law is making kugel for Thanksgiving, but I guess she has every right to and it wouldn't be any different than a non-Indian having a curry side dish with Thanksgiving, or something like that. It is pretty much how she described; a sweet-ish casserole with egg noodles, a lot of dairy, and often raisins. It is usually eaten as a side dish rather than a dessert, but is somewhat sweet. It can be part of a meatless meal if you keep strictly kosher (don't mix milk and meat) or a good side dish to roast meat. I am Jewish, but wouldn't personally want it at Thanksgiving if I was already having things like stuffing and sweet potatoes. I do like it, and usually kids like it.

happymom
11-14-2010, 07:44 PM
:yeahthat: Its not really a main dish, unless you're serving it for a typical Sunday night dinner. At a big dinner such a Thanksgiving, it would really just be a indulgent side dish. Even though its sweet, I think it would be strange to serve it as dessert since the main ingredient is noodles.

mommylamb
11-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I think of kugel as a side dish rather than a dessert, though it is sweet. I'm Jewish, but I have to say, I really dislike kugel. I don't think we ever had it for Thanksgiving growing up, but I wouldn't have eaten it anyway, so I might not be remembering correctly. FWIW, everyone else in my family loves it.

I think it's cute and funny that your Irish MIL wants to make it.

happymom
11-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I think of kugel as a side dish rather than a dessert, though it is sweet. I'm Jewish, but I have to say, I really dislike kugel. I don't think we ever had it for Thanksgiving growing up, but I wouldn't have eaten it anyway, so I might not be remembering correctly. FWIW, everyone else in my family loves it.

I think it's cute and funny that your Irish MIL wants to make it.

Mommylamb, you have to come over and taste some of my awesome kugels....I think you'll change your mind! ;) There's potato kugel, brocolli kugel, apple kugel, 10 variations on noodle kugel, spinach kugel, and the list goes on and on! I bet I could make you into a kugel lover in no time! LOL

mommylamb
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Mommylamb, you have to come over and taste some of my awesome kugels....I think you'll change your mind! ;) There's potato kugel, brocolli kugel, apple kugel, 10 variations on noodle kugel, spinach kugel, and the list goes on and on! I bet I could make you into a kugel lover in no time! LOL

Does this mean I'm invited over?

Sadly, I don't like cream cheese, so that is the problem I have with kugel. I'm not sure it could be made without it. I trust your kugels are great though for the cream cheese lovin' Jew :D.

happymom
11-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Does this mean I'm invited over?

Sadly, I don't like cream cheese, so that is the problem I have with kugel. I'm not sure it could be made without it. I trust your kugels are great though for the cream cheese lovin' Jew :D.

Totally! Come on over.... :wavey:

Actually, NONE of my kugels have cream cheese. They all have to be dairy-free since they are generally served on Sabbath at chicken or meat meals and we eat strictly kosher (so no milk and meat together). The dairy noodle kugel that OP mentioned is a yummy kugel, but not made as often around here since its dairy and can't be served with my other Sabbath food.

mommylamb
11-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Oooo... I'm totally intrigued! A cream cheese free kugel!!! Is it too much for me to ask you to PM me a recipe?

My family isn't kosher, so the dairy/meat thing doesn't come into play.

boolady
11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
My friend's Irish and German MIL makes noodle or potato kugel for Thanksgiving and Christmas as a side dish.

MamaSnoo
11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Thank you thank you thank you.....I feel much more educated already!

I will update you ladies with how it went.

YouAreTheFocus
11-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for a potato kugel? I have fond memories of this from my childhood, but everyone who made it is long gone. I think it was shredded potato, onion, maybe some other veggies as well? Carrot? Almost like a giant casserole version of a latke.

I don't understand sweet noodle kugel. Bleh!

happymom
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for a potato kugel? I have fond memories of this from my childhood, but everyone who made it is long gone. I think it was shredded potato, onion, maybe some other veggies as well? Carrot? Almost like a giant casserole version of a latke.

I don't understand sweet noodle kugel. Bleh!

Sure! I make mine almost every week, and its delicious! There's no carrot, but it does taste like a giant latke. Be prepared for your house to smell heavenly. This is for you too, Mommylamb. :)

6 large potatoes, peeled
2 onions (1 medium, 1 large)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons salt
pepper ( I use cayenne pepper- just a dash)
¼ cup potato starch
1 cup boiling water
¼ cup oil

1. Preheat oven to 500F.
2. Grate potatoes and onions and place together in a large bowl.
3. Stir in eggs, 5 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle starch on top.
4. Pour boiling water over starch, and stir thoroughly.
5. Pour ¼ cup oil into 13 x 9-inch pan and place in oven for 1 minute or until hot. (Do not burn.)
6. Carefully pour potato mixture into pan.
7. Bake 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400F and bake 40 minutes or until deeply golden brown.
The thing with potato kugel is that 5 people can make the same recipe and it can come out differently for each person. Here are the details that make a difference to me:

1. I use yukon gold potatoes only. They dont brown while the kugel is being prepared, and they are delicious!

2. I use a food processor to grate the potatoes and onions. Heres what I do- I use the "s blade" to sort of blend the onion. Then I switch to the grating blades and do half the potatoes on the shredding blade, and half on the blade that kind of just mushes it.

If you don't have a food processor, you can definitely grate it by hand. It takes time, but its worth it!

Also, I like my kugel crispy on top, so I just bake until the top is nice and brown. So I bake it for 20 min on 500 degrees, and probably an hour at 400 degrees.

Btw, potato starch is typically an ingredient used for passover cooking, but hopefully you can find it in the kosher section of your supermarket. There are plenty of potato kugel recipes without potato starch (its actually an unusual ingredient for potato kugel), but I love this recipe.

Good luck!

ETA: This kugel is from a cookbook called the Kosher Palette.

YouAreTheFocus
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for typing this out!! I can't wait to try it. We do have a food processor, thanks for including tips on how to use it for this recipe. I liked it really brown and crispy, too--that's how I remember it being prepared at holidays when I was a kid!