PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling the BJCM love.

staceyeileen
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
When I was pregnant I did a lot of research on these forums to decide on a stroller. I decided to go with the snap n go (LOVE) for the first few months, then we got the BJCM when DS was about 4 months old. He is now 9 months old, so I've given the BJCM a good while to grow on me but I'm really not feeling the love. Don't get me wrong, there are aspects o the stroller that I love: easy fold, big canopy, full recline. I absolutely hate how it's seemingly impossible for DS to sit up straight. I also find the basket pretty much useless, because although it's a good size it's hard to get to. Should I just suck it up, appreciate the good features, and get over it? Or is there a better stroller out there for me?

arivecchi
11-15-2010, 12:43 PM
There are a zillion strollers out there with seats that go fully upright and have huge baskets. If you don't love it, sell it and get a new one.

Some suggestions: Peg Si, FY Indigo, Joovy Scooter, Valco Quad.....etc, etc.

Just let us know what you need it for and how much you want to spend and we can give you recs.

poohbear
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
When I was pregnant I did a lot of research on these forums to decide on a stroller. I decided to go with the snap n go (LOVE) for the first few months, then we got the BJCM when DS was about 4 months old. He is now 9 months old, so I've given the BJCM a good while to grow on me but I'm really not feeling the love. Don't get me wrong, there are aspects o the stroller that I love: easy fold, big canopy, full recline. I absolutely hate how it's seemingly impossible for DS to sit up straight. I also find the basket pretty much useless, because although it's a good size it's hard to get to. Should I just suck it up, appreciate the good features, and get over it? Or is there a better stroller out there for me?

Here's the thing about the BJCM, and I say this all the time. It's vanilla ice cream. I happen to love mine, because of the features. In fact I am now so spoiled by the fold, that the other day, it was raining and I was annoyed by how long it took me to fold my Mac and put it in the car. Seriously.
If you decide to stick with the BJCM, I would recommend putting a piece of cardboard in the back of the seat, it makes a huge difference in terms of LO being able to sit up straight. I also got a belly bar, and my DS loves it. Now that he's a little older, he doens't mind not sitting up as straight.
I always put everything in basket through the side and I use mommy hooks.

Otherwise, maybe there is a different stroller out there that will better suit your needs, like Arivecchi said...

jerry_mishkata
11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a Valco quad and it compares as follows:

Fold is much harder to do (like almost any stroller, when compared to BJCM) but think about it, do you do it that often? It needs foot action but I've done it holding my 1yo so I guess it can be done with one hand. Then it was REALLY hard to lift that thing with one hand holding a 20 lb toddler in the other (stroller is about 23 lb) but I am a weakling and really my hands are in baaad shape from carpal tunnel.

Quad seat is upright

Air tires and bigger wheels make quad more maneuverable esp in the long run (heavier children)

Quad is narrower.

Quad has a bigger, stronger, more accessible basket

Canopies are comparable from what I've seen

Quad comes with bumper bar (but we don't use it much)

The harness has a puzzle lock that I am not a fan of now but I might be later when the baby tries to escape :-) I hear BJCM's harness buckle is easy for toddlers to undo

Quad has adjustable foot rest

Quad costs $500 but I got it from albeebaby when they had 20% off. It came with a footmuff too which is MUCH better than the bundle me, I LOVE it!

Also, quad takes a toddler seat... you can look into that too, it would work for two kids, although the toddler seat is not anywhere as cushy as the usual seat, does not recline etc, but for children who enjoy upright seats it would be great (like my DD)

Let me know if you have any questions about it... It is much more expensive than the BJCM but I love it and I am glad I could afford it because it is so perfect for our needs. We live in NYC and have to deal with bad sidewalks, in and out of subway, car trips 2-3 times a week, malls, grass and dirt roads in the park where we spend most of our outside time, cold weather and really strong wind (I love the footmuff it is so great for the wind! THe baby falls alseep in the stroller and then I just roll the footmuff up so she is almost completely covered by it but it has a hard part that does not allow it to touch her face and protects from the wind awesomely!), bringing groceries from the garrage to the apartment (we use the stroller for that), etc.

roseyloxs
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Sell it. I didn't love it either. The features that are good are very very good but the flaws were too annoying for me to handle.

I have a used indie and a cybex topaz now instead which cost just a tad more then a BJCM. Check out the sales at overstock.com for the Cybex strollers or TJ Maxx for a Maclaren. For the price that these are selling for you can pick up an umbrella for the car and search CL for a good outdoor stroller (bumbleride indie, MB swift, BOB, etc, etc.)

BabyBearsMom
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Here's the thing about the BJCM, and I say this all the time. It's vanilla ice cream. I happen to love mine, because of the features. In fact I am now so spoiled by the fold, that the other day, it was raining and I was annoyed by how long it took me to fold my Mac and put it in the car. Seriously.
If you decide to stick with the BJCM, I would recommend putting a piece of cardboard in the back of the seat, it makes a huge difference in terms of LO being able to sit up straight. I also got a belly bar, and my DS loves it. Now that he's a little older, he doens't mind not sitting up as straight.

Otherwise, maybe there is a different stroller out there that will better suit your needs, like Arivecchi said...

:yeahthat: Exactly. DD doesn't really seem to mind the soft back though.

jacksmoma
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
yes, the bjcm now is very "vanilla!" when i first got mine over two years ago it was nice as no one had it and it seemed different....now i've moved on to a bug bee and it def. feels more unique and stylish!

poohbear
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Fold is much harder to do (like almost any stroller, when compared to BJCM) but think about it, do you do it that often?

This is where lifestyle/where you live makes all the difference in the world. I fold my strollers ALL the time, because I drive everywhere, so yes, I am constantly folding and unfolding my strollers (not my BOB, but that is my neighborhood walk stroller). So the BJCM fold to me makes a HUGE difference, since when I go out to run errands, I may fold it and unfold it 3 times in one day. Also, the fact that it folds so compactly is important to me since it lives in my trunk.

If I lived in the city and didn't drive anywhere, I might not be folding and unfolding as often and maybe that wouldn't make as big of a difference.

This is why it's great that there are so many different stroller options out there!

staceyeileen
11-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really torn. I'm afraid if I get a different stroller, I'll hate that it doesn't fold as easily, because well... I can't imagine any stroller folding as easily as the BJCM. I think I'll try the cardboard in the seat to see if that helps. I think the belly bar will help too, but I'm hesitant to invest more money into it if I'm not going to keep it.

staceyeileen
11-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Has anyone had luck calling baby jogger and getting them to send one of the seat back pieces that comes in the 2011 model? It seems they are acknowledging the problem just by including it in the newer models, so those of us with older models need one too! :)

poohbear
11-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Has anyone had luck calling baby jogger and getting them to send one of the seat back pieces that comes in the 2011 model? It seems they are acknowledging the problem just by including it in the newer models, so those of us with older models need one too! :)

They'll send you one for $15 (including shipping - if I remember correctly it's $8 for the board and $7 for shipping). They actually increased the price on the 2011 to account for the cost of adding the board. (From $229 to $239.)
You can get them a bit cheaper at http://www.countrymoosekids.com/catalog/item/5056785/7678408.htm - $12 a board including shipping.

I would try the cardboard first since you don't want to invest any more money into the stroller. Just take a sturdy shipping box and cut out an insert and slide it in the back of the stroller near the top (there is a place to put it). Some people have also used three ring binders (minus the binding obviously). It really makes a big difference.
HTH! :)

lhafer
11-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Here's a question - would you love the stroller if you could fix those things?

I don't use baskets on any stroller pretty much because I hate having to dig out the bag to get my keys, or my wallet, or a bottle. I much prefer using stroller hooks. Make getting into my bags VERY easy. And you can put a lot of stuff on the hooks and it doesn't make the BJCM tippy. At least not where I placed my hooks - which are pretty even with the back tires so there isn't weight pulling on the back of the handle.

I aslo have a 9 month old, and she doesn't mind the slump. If she wants to sit up straight, she pulls herself up on the belly bar (or snack tray depending on which one I have on at the time). The hammock-like seat means that she takes very good naps in the stroller. I have not put a board in the back like some, but have thought about it. And it's a cheap fix.

Mine lives in my trunk. We drive everywhere here because we have to (nothing is in walking distance). So I literally can be getting my stroller in and out of the car at least 2-4 times a day. Sometimes more if I have a lot errands to run. So it's a requirement that it's an easy fold and doesn't take up a lot of space.

You can't beat the canopy. At least on the other strollers I have looked at. Yes you can get a canopy extender, but I find them ugly and cumbersome. You have to figure out how to attach it to the stroller. It is rather flimsy and can catch in the wind and blow around. I had one on another stroller (that I loved but hated the canopy). I wasn't a fan of the canopy extender.

You will be hard pressed to find another stroller that has the fold, the canopy, the recline, and the easy steering in another stroller. No stroller is perfect. So you have to ask yourself, what are you willing to give up that you love about the BJCM in order to get something you hate about it?

poohbear
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Mine lives in my trunk. We drive everywhere here because we have to (nothing is in walking distance). So I literally can be getting my stroller in and out of the car at least 2-4 times a day. Sometimes more if I have a lot errands to run. So it's a requirement that it's an easy fold and doesn't take up a lot of space.

You can't beat the canopy. At least on the other strollers I have looked at. Yes you can get a canopy extender, but I find them ugly and cumbersome. You have to figure out how to attach it to the stroller. It is rather flimsy and can catch in the wind and blow around. I had one on another stroller (that I loved but hated the canopy). I wasn't a fan of the canopy extender.

You will be hard pressed to find another stroller that has the fold, the canopy, the recline, and the easy steering in another stroller. No stroller is perfect. So you have to ask yourself, what are you willing to give up that you love about the BJCM in order to get something you hate about it?

And these reasons are why I :heartbeat: my BJCM....
well put lhafer (and cute pics too :)

I have gotten over the basket (and it is great for coats and bags if you are clothing shopping at places like the gap), and for people who are constantly putting their strollers in and out of the car, you cannot beat the easy, flat fold.

But it's not for everyone.
That's why we have a stroller forum. :)

lhafer
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Touché Poohbear. Touché. :ROTFLMAO:

Melbel
11-16-2010, 01:59 PM
And these reasons are why I :heartbeat: my BJCM....
well put lhafer (and cute pics too :)

I have gotten over the basket (and it is great for coats and bags if you are clothing shopping at places like the gap), and for people who are constantly putting their strollers in and out of the car, you cannot beat the easy, flat fold.

I don't use baskets on any stroller pretty much because I hate having to dig out the bag to get my keys, or my wallet, or a bottle. I much prefer using stroller hooks. Make getting into my bags VERY easy. And you can put a lot of stuff on the hooks and it doesn't make the BJCM tippy. At least not where I placed my hooks - which are pretty even with the back tires so there isn't weight pulling on the back of the handle.

I aslo have a 9 month old, and she doesn't mind the slump. If she wants to sit up straight, she pulls herself up on the belly bar (or snack tray depending on which one I have on at the time). The hammock-like seat means that she takes very good naps in the stroller. I have not put a board in the back like some, but have thought about it. And it's a cheap fix.

:yeahthat: It truly is about weighing your priorities. Speaking of weight, in addition to the positive features above (easy fold, sun shade, etc.), the light weight is a must for me. After lugging a heavier stroller from the SUV, I realized just how important a light weight is for me. I also use stroller hooks (mommy hook) which solves my basket issue. The slouching has not bothered DD2, so I have not tried a board yet. Sometimes you have to try other things to appreciate what you have. Then again, there may be a better "fitting" stroller for you. :)

staceyeileen
12-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I just wanted to bump this thread and give an update. I ended up getting the PE board and belly bar, and they make a world of difference!! DS seems to really enjoy pulling himself up on the belly bar, and I'm much happier with the recline of the seat with the board. It's not fully upright, but it's soooo much better than before.

Thanks for all the advice. :D

keeley146
12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
where did you get te PE board? Did you end up ordering it online or did you manage to find it in a store?

purpelina
12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Also, for extra storage, try fleurville sling tote. It comes with O-rings that attach it to stroller handle, but design allows you to take the tote off the rings quickly, and either sling on your shoulder, or carry in hand. It's a wonderful invention. I don't use mine as often now (since I don't use strollers for long outings anymore), but every time I have an itch to sell it. I think again and keep it - and that says A LOT about me :)
You can keep essential stuff in there, put stuff in underseat basket, AND use the big pocket on the seat. There are quite a lot of storage options, you just have to plan in advance what goes where (and with a huge basket you could cram everything in one place)

bjcm was a very tempting choice for me (especially since dh loved city series that we had). DD didn't like the sling seat, but with improvements new models have I might change things yet again in my stable!

Now, last few words about the fold:
not only is it easy (to do, and to explain toa stranger), you don't need any extra preparations for it (ie - taking off gloves etc) - it is a HUGE thing for me. Not that I can't master an elaborate stroller fold, I'm quite good at that. But when it's called, and I have to take off my gloves to reach for these teeny hinges or other whatevers, then push or pull them in an awkward way, when my hands are freezing... Nah. To be honest, I'm getting a bit annooyed with swift's fold. (hope I'm not committing blasphemy :bowdown:)

I'm am seriously thinking about changing things up and getting bjcm instead. Plus, I don't really need a true AT stroller / air tires, most places I go to have smooth paths, or asphalt, and occasional (VERY occasional)bumpy path is not worth the trouble of having an AT...

So, you see - we all have different needs and wants... Yet - I'm actually happy this is happening - lets me try yet another stroller! :bouncy:

staceyeileen
12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
where did you get te PE board? Did you end up ordering it online or did you manage to find it in a store?

I ordered it online. I think it was $12, which seems like a lot for just a board, but when you consider that without it I truly wanted to ditch the BJCM, it was worth it.

neeleymartin
12-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Sell it. I didn't love it either. The features that are good are very very good but the flaws were too annoying for me to handle.

:yeahthat: i loved the fold, the canopy and the recline, as you do. but hated everything else. i always got the back wheels stuck on everything, seemed wider than they needed to be. yucky. sell it.

i only recommend bob strollers. which will not please you in the sitting up straight dept. they are all i will push (snob for the one hand steering)

♥ms.pacman♥
12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
hmm interesting thread.

i haven't used my BJCM in months. i am pretty sure i am going to sell it now. i have same story as OP..had just snapn go for first 4 months, then bought BJCM. at first it was great..DS would nap in it, loved the huge canopy and i LOVED the ease of the fold that i could do one-handed. but then DS got bothered that he couldn't sit up straight. and i got bothered that the basket was useless. i had a belly bar from the get-go, but that didn't seem to help other than give a place to hang toys. so when ds was 8mos i got a Vista bc i was expecting baby #2 and wanted to eventually convert it to a double. well after that, it was all over for all the BJCM and my other strollers. :). hands-down DS prefers to ride in the Vista. it is more upright, and sits up higher so DS can see more. also, there's a really nice place for him to rest his legs. with the bjcm they just kinda hang down. and i prefer to use Vista bc of the amazing push, and for the ginormous basket.

the one thing i have to admit that the bjcm has is that amazing fold. and its weight..so light...i remember it was great to be able to fold up and load stroller with one hand. whereas i h.a.t.e folding up the vista into our van. that is a pain. i am lucky i almost never need a car stroller during the week bc DS loves riding in shopping carts. for the weekends when we do mall trips or other outings dh is always the one who folds/loads up the vista in the car.

poohbear
12-27-2010, 10:54 PM

I don't believe any B&M stores sell them. www.countrymoosekids.com has them for $12 including shipping or you can contact baby jogger directly...
HTH.
I too sometimes think of getting rid of my BJCM for something more exciting (though I have Albert and BOB in the stable), but I always go back to BJCM because it is a great stroller overall - awesome fold, awesome canopy, DS loves it, and it's a great price comparatively...
Vanilla ice cream, my friends... ;) Now if BOB made something slightly more compact, like a BOB city mini, it may be a different story....

sweetsue98
12-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Would love a bob city mini! Only if they can get some stroller experts such as the women/men (don't want to assume) on this forum to create a new stroller:)

lhafer
12-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Hmmm, I don't find the BJCM to be vanilla at all. I guess it depends on what's around you.

I am surrounded by these (there's nothing wrong with them besides being heavy - just very meh for me):

1342 1343

If I ever saw any of these

1344 1345

or even this (I got a lot of looks when I took this out)

then I might feel like my BJCM was a little plain. But as it is, I feel like it's special, and people look at it when I have my little one out and about.

sweetsoul99
12-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm also surrounded by Graco beasts. I thought I was splurging with the Metrolite. So when we got our BJCMD (it took several weeks of convince DH that it was worth spending more than $300 on a decent double), it was more like Italian Cioccolato Gelato!

twowhat?
12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
If we needed a single, I could see that I might choose somethiing other than the BJCM. But for a double car stroller, I can't begin to wrap my arms around the love I feel for it!! :)

poohbear
12-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Hmmm, I don't find the BJCM to be vanilla at all. I guess it depends on what's around you.

I am surrounded by these (there's nothing wrong with them besides being heavy - just very meh for me):

then I might feel like my BJCM was a little plain. But as it is, I feel like it's special, and people look at it when I have my little one out and about.

Ha ha. I guess I don't mean that it's plain looking. Just that it's a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, thus vanilla ice cream. It's one of those that you will always go back to, but I will always wish it had a little something else. Maybe chocolate chips or mint or marshmallows ;). I also have had quite a few warranty issues with mine (all of which have been and are being taken care of by baby jogger), and I still continuously go back to it. As Roseyloxs once referred to it - it is my "workhorse darling"

And I recommend it to all my friends. I can't tell you how many BJCMs I have personally sold ;)

purpelina
12-28-2010, 04:57 PM
I also have had quite a few warranty issues with mine (all of which have been and are being taken care of by baby jogger),

Ah, the warranty claims... I had a small issue with my city series, and it was easy to solve since I was original owner. When I was thinking of getting bjcm, I was on the fence because of warranty - if I get it new, then I will have it, but if I find a good deal elsewhere (say CL or ebay), I won't be able to get stuff resolved, so the deal won't be such great one after all...

And I recommend it to all my friends. I can't tell you how many BJCMs I have personally sold ;)

:applause: next time you contact them with a claim, should you maybe mention this fact? By now they should send you a brand new stroller all together!

lorinick
12-28-2010, 10:57 PM

:yeahthat: I agree with all ideas.

mrsjde
12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I looked at BJCM when we were first looking for a stroller and have never been inclined to look at them again.

pampers37
12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
hmm interesting.. this is a stroller that my wife prefers over most, the canopy and push... i've been waiting (im)patiently for it to pop on CL. what are the warranty issues other mothers/fathers have been experiencing?

lorinick
12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I love the BJCM and couldn't live without it. The sit not sitting up enough has never been an issue for us. There is notting I really don't like about the stroller.

lhafer
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
hmm interesting.. this is a stroller that my wife prefers over most, the canopy and push... i've been waiting (im)patiently for it to pop on CL. what are the warranty issues other mothers/fathers have been experiencing?

Wobbly wheel issues I think. I had a bit of a wobbly front wheel. I knew this could be an issue when I bought it. Called BJ customer service the day I got it and asked for a new front wheel. Got it in a couple of days, no questions asked. Otherwise I love this stroller. It totally fits all my needs perfectly.

purpelina
12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
what are the warranty issues other mothers/fathers have been experiencing?
I had baby jogger city series - my underseat basket ripped. CS sent me a new one no questions asked.

I'd say there's usually nothing major, a small thing here and there that might happen to your stroller. But some strollers are "luckier" than others. I think arivecchi (or someone else on the board) had several issues with bj, one after another. Even though cs is great, and things get resolved quickly and efficiently, it applies to original owners. I don't know how easy that would be and if it would be possible to exchange parts for free, if you bought off someone else...

poohbear
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Wobbly wheel issues I think. I had a bit of a wobbly front wheel. I knew this could be an issue when I bought it. Called BJ customer service the day I got it and asked for a new front wheel. Got it in a couple of days, no questions asked. Otherwise I love this stroller. It totally fits all my needs perfectly.

Yep. Mine was actually a frame issue (so my frame was replaced) but I have at least four close frends who have them with no wobble issues at all. One of them did have a front wheel that stuck but baby jogger replaced it no problem. I would imagine that if you found a used one all of the warranty issues will have been addressed by the original owner if there were any wobble issues.

sherry7
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
For me, the BJCM is pretty much the perfect stroller for our needs. We only own two strollers, which are the 2011 BJCM and a Peg Perego GT3 jogger. The Peg is a heavy beast to get in and out of my SUV, but it's awesome for outdoor events where DH is around to lift it. We call it our "4 wheel drive stroller" even though it only has 3 wheels. :ROTFLMAO:

I previously had a Maclaren Quest (which literally fell apart after only 3 uses), and a Cybex Callisto (which had a squeaky wheel and got returned).

The BJCM has been perfect for everything else. I love that I can hang a heavy diaper bag on the handle without it tipping. The underneath basket is too small for my diaper bag, but I can stuff plenty of smaller items (blankets, jackets, toys, etc) under there and in the mesh pocket on the back of the seat. I added a Sunshine Kids Buggy Buddy, which solves the cup holder dilemma.

We just got back from a 9 day cruise, and took the BJCM with us. Other than not being good on the beach, it was a great travel stroller. We were getting on and off trolleys, buses, water taxi's, etc several times a day, and the easy fold and unfold were much appreciated by us. The sunshade was wonderful to block the tropical sun. I recently bought the bumper bar for the front, and my 8 month old baby can pull herself up now and look around.

blondflava
12-31-2010, 03:43 PM
I just ordered a BJCM yesterday to replace a Mac Quest (which replaced a Triumph...). I found that even for a car/errands stroller I need something more featured. I also have an Indie for neighborhood walks and whole day outings (but living in the suburbs, I rely on the car a lot during the day, usually I'm in and out 3-4 times and need something with a fastest/easiest fold available). My DD isn't that comfortable in Quest either, and there are a couple things in it that irk me (harness being the worst, it's so tough to buckle/unbuckle with a child that's trying to wiggle herself out! and I need to adjust it depending on DD having a coat on or not, usually almost every outing! It's very hard to adjust, too...). I don't know how many times it tipped on me also, always forget to get my diaper bag off the handles...
Even though BJCM is slightly wider than Quest at the back, I think it'll aggravate me way less... LOL.