PDA

View Full Version : Range recommendation?

Twoboos
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I am thinking of getting a new range for the kitchen. Ours is fine, but does not match the dw/fridge which is making me nuts (as it has for the past 7 years!). They are both stainless w/black.

So - it would have to be electric, no gas hookup. I actually keep the pots/pans in the bottom drawer, so although in theory I want a warming area, I know I would miss the storage!! Anyone have this problem?

Want a decent name obviously but don't have to go crazy. Standard size. I have no idea about pricing. $1k-ish maybe? I browsed gardenweb but WOW there is a lot of info there, it's pretty overwhelming.

ANyone know what Consumer Reports is recommending lately?

What do you have, what would you get if you were buying?

groundhog74
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
We have an electric range that has two ovens...one full size and one small. I really love it. We use the small oven all of the time for stuff like pizza.

LBW
11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I bought this one yesterday and it was delivered this morning (love Lowes!).

http://tinyurl.com/2ex864b

It's a Frigidaire.

My husband broke the top on our old range yesterday when he was moving it, so I needed to make a decision in a hurry. I visited at least 6 stores, spent some time on GardenWeb, and did some other internet research. I considered a dual oven version, but they were 2X the cost, and I'm planning on keeping my old range in our basement as a second oven.

Features I wanted were: convection option, quick boil element, warming element, and stainless. I also wanted an appealing "look" - I decided I liked knobs over touchpad, for instance. I also like that the stainless frames the window on the model I bought. I didn't feel strongly about the warming drawer because I used that drawer for space on my old range. I figured I'd miss it!

Honestly, after looking at dozens of them they all started to look pretty similar!

ehf
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
We got an Electrolux in June and regret it.

We got an "amazing deal" when a previous customer mismeasured his kitchen and had to return the range.

We had to have the entire electrical panel replaced because it was faulty and actually created a dramatically unsafe situation. It took FIVE WEEKS to get it replaced because the only authorized dealer that would do work under warranty didn't have the part for the first week, missed the appointment the second week, was closed the third week and missed the appointment again on the fourth week. Many apologies and "official reports" from electrolux ensued against the repair company, but as the only one available, that didn't help us. According to the repair guy, all the panels are faulty and being replaced as they cause problems. I don't know why there hasn't been a recall.

Now one of the burners won't turn on. I'm back to the scheduling nightmare.

Here's my advice:
1) Only buy from a place that will service the equipment, and find out what their service is like (our place only services equipment on Thursdays, hence the 5-week drama).

2) Don't buy electrolux.

3) I thought I'd use the warming drawer all the time because I often make dinner and serve the kids before my husband gets home. I've never used it.

4) My daughter uses the handle of the bottom drawer to stand on. Now she can pull herself up to touch the hot stove.

5) The slide-ins are increasingly trendy and look nicer, but they're a lot more expensive.

Good luck!

AnnieW625
11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
We have a GE Profile gas range and have been happy with it. The prior owners put it in 2003 or 2004 before we bought our house. My mom bought the the non profile version of the oven (http://www.howards.com/details.cfm?c=40&b=5&s=41&id=ic04c5013gvpmy) about 2 yrs. ago and has been happy. The only difference I have seen between the two is the timer options. Otherwise both cook the same. The difference between the GE Profile we have now and the one that they sell now is that it looks like the gas grate is continuous.

Ovens are one of the appliances that CR has said in articles that often aren't meant to last more than 5 to 10 yrs. max so unless you want a super duper professional stove, sometimes it is best to stick with a less than $1000 model. Hotpoint for cheaper ranges usually gets good reviews from them.

Our warming drawer gets used as a storage dwarer.