PDA

View Full Version : Do I use fabric softener when cleaning infant bedding/clothes?

gcc2k
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm a little over 7 months pregnant and I want to begin washing clothes/bedding in preparation for the arrival of DS. I have the free and clear deteregent, but I was wondering if I should or should not use fabric softener. Does it depend on whether I'm washing clothes, sheets, blankets, burp clothes, etc. ?
TIA!

pastrygirl
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't use fabric softener on anything. IMO, it's not good. ;) Something about how it just coats fibers to make them feel soft. I first ditched it when my son had eczema, and don't miss it at all.

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't use it either. It doesn't seem like it could be good for skin or the environment. I know some people use vinegar in the rinse cycle but that's too much work for me. :) I do have some reusable dryer balls but I can't say that I am blown away by them.

Beth

scrooks
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I used some scent free ones on baby stuff (i think they were just generic target ones) versus the bounce I use on everything else. We have never had a problem.

BabyBearsMom
11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
I have used the free and clear kind before and I don't think they make anything any softer. Everything I bought for DD was so soft to begin with (everything is 100% cotton because I have skin sensitivities to polyester) that an additional softener doesn't really seem necessary. IIWM, I wouldn't waste your time/money on it.

hillview
11-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't use it at all ever. I USED to use it pre kids and after researching some I stopped.
/hillary

catsnkid
11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't bother. I like it on my stuff, but I don't use it for DS.

fedoragirl
11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I do not use it. I use vinegar instead. Natural and clean!

DrSally
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't use it. It coats things and causes bad things to happen to my kid's skin. I don't like the fragrance either. I use vinegar in the wash.

gcc2k
11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Did my first load of baby items and used 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water and everything came out soft and fragrance free. As soon as I finish up the fabric softener I use for DH and myself, we'll be switching solely to vinegar. Thanks for the advice!

DrSally
11-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Did my first load of baby items and used 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water and everything came out soft and fragrance free. As soon as I finish up the fabric softener I use for DH and myself, we'll be switching solely to vinegar. Thanks for the advice!

:thumbsup: Good to hear.