PDA

View Full Version : Travel toys in the car for 2 yr old and almost 3 yr old

chickadee
11-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I did a quick search and didn't find a list of travel toy ideas for in the car. Please feel free to share a link if I missed it!

We are going on a 8 hr or more trip in the car. I was hoping to find out toys, etc., that have help your LO stay happy in their car seat. :bouncy:I was thinking books, magnadoodle, music, etc., but am sure others would have ideas to share.

My girls are 2 years old and almost 3.

Thanks in advance! :)

WatchingThemGrow
11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
every fast food drive through toy in my home becomes a car toy.

mikeys_mom
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Stickers, markers, post-it notes, colouring books.

We have these trays that work well for us;
http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item5106.htm

We got these small magnet doodlers for our 9 hour car trip this summer and they kept all our kids (18 months, 3.5yo and 5.5yo) busy at some point in the trip.
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=5627&e=product&pid=51088

At that age, my kids played with the Crocodile Dentist game a bit.

Lots of snacks.

alirebco
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
aquadoodle travel version, books, color wonder markers and books.

vonfirmath
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
At 2 1/2 we drove Texas--> aRizona and my son's favorite travel toys were the Doodle Pro toy and the Vtech Alphabet Apple

Seitvonzu
11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
we drove from MD to IL in october. it took about 15-16 hours each way, my child was 2.75, she did great :)

BOOKS (some old favorites , some new ones, lots of different sizes from tiny sets, to BIG -- paperback/hardcover, etc)
stickers/foamies
crayola mini twist crayons
notepads (i like the crayola spiral ones)
magnets (letters) and a cookie sheet (the cookie sheet came in hand for "art" types of activities too)
window clings if your child can reach the windows
tiny letter/holiday stamps/stamp pad (we had an adult in the back with her usually-- so we had a few things we could help with)
"halloween" theme pack- a new cd, a new book, the window gels (ghosts,etc!) (around this time of year i'd do christmas/winter theme--)
paper with punchers (i have a high mess tolerance in the car...it can always be vacuumed...)
dark construction paper and chalk-- faux chalkboard
sandpaper and some yarn (make pictures by sticking yarn on sandpaper)
a discovery box-- untie and find different "treasures" (just collected these around the house)
puzzle erasers
knock off silly bandz from michaels
dolly diaper bag with baby supplies
baby "suitcase" with clothes
2 baby dolls (my child could dress a doll for HOURS...this is a TOP activity in my house-- so we brought lots of that sorta thing)
finger puppets
tinkerbell shadow flashlight (are you going to be driving in the dark? my child loves flashlights, but you have to sorta make sure you kid keeps in on the back of the seat or whatever (can distract the driver/other drivers))
"find it" type of game (i made one, but these is like the "eye spy bags" -- you stick a bunch of little stuff in while silicon pebbles and the kids try to find all of it)
homemade colorforms type thing out of felt (shapes, favorite stories, tic tac toe game, etc)
M&D big sticker pad (i'm specifically thinking of the girl one) has GREAT stickers and you get tons-- plenty for both girls ...they sell it at toys r us usually-- i cut up the pages and put different sets in envelopes based on theme
lacing cards
special coloring pages from the internet (you can find just about anything... right now i might do fall stuff or turkeys/pilgrims/etc., letters of their name, etc)
new coloring books
crayola colorwonder

i'm sure there is more we brought that i'm forgetting... we had TONS of options and didn't even touch lots of it :)

and ...we did get-- A portable DVD player. there is only so much a mommy & daddy can do...especially with 2.75 year old taking no sort of rest. we brought some long and some short dvds. and we used them when necessary :)

also-- novel snacks. still a favorite trick is the day of the week medicine dispenser. i buy the one for people with arthritis-- the lids pop open at a light press. my child's been able to do it for at least a year now.

christiedavid3
11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
:thumbsup: Those are some AWESOME ideas! I need to save that list for our next long ride! :bowdown:

chickadee
11-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Thank you so much! I am so excited about all the ideas. My girls are not "bad" in the car, but they like stuff to DO and will be very grateful for all the new things they will have to do!:cheerleader1:

I really appreciate it! I love that some things are traditional toys and others are just fun creative stuff like my mom used to get us to do. Love the treasure box and homemade feltboard or colorforms ideas,etc. I am not feeling very creative yet as I chase my girls around ...

Thank you again - I already feel a little more at ease. :bowdown: