PDA

View Full Version : When to buy on Amazon?

JoyNChrist
11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I do 99% of my Christmas shopping on Amazon. But the prices fluctuate so much (especially on toys), I'm wondering how to decide when to buy.

Any tips?

ElspethCordelia
11-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I like to go to CamelCamelCamel and check the price history before I buy something.

hillview
11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I am waiting til December when the DEALS are. If I had something I MUST have I'd get it sooner but the wish list is long right now with no specific focus
/hillary

inmypjs
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
If you are looking for specific items...

I would start using a pricetracking web site now, for those items you have your eye on. I think the key to knowing when to buy is knowing when you are getting a good deal. To know that, you have to learn the regular/going rates for the items you are interested in. Tracking prices now on Amazon will help with that. Also, the next time you're in Target, Kohls, Walmart, TRU you could quickly jot down how much things are there. It doesn't take long, and it can also provide a good baseline for comparison.

If you're not searching for specific items, but just good deals in general, I would wait until their toy goldbox deals start coming out. They had some great things last year!

maiaann
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I like to go to CamelCamelCamel and check the price history before I buy something.

:yeahthat: That's exactly what I do. I decide how much I'm willing to spend based on the item's history and then when it gets to my price point I pull the trigger.

TwinsItIs
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
If you are looking for specific items...

I would start using a pricetracking web site now, for those items you have your eye on. I think the key to knowing when to buy is knowing when you are getting a good deal. To know that, you have to learn the regular/going rates for the items you are interested in. Tracking prices now on Amazon will help with that. Also, the next time you're in Target, Kohls, Walmart, TRU you could quickly jot down how much things are there. It doesn't take long, and it can also provide a good baseline for comparison.

If you're not searching for specific items, but just good deals in general, I would wait until their toy goldbox deals start coming out. They had some great things last year!
How would I track prices? I am in desperate need of an iPod Touch before I travel, and have no idea how to go about finding the best deals?

mjmamma
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Amazon is so wacky!
www.getinvisiblehand.com is a Mozilla add on that price checks an item online for you once you find it on Amazon (Froogle and a few other sites too). It's fun and so helpful. It tells you if Amazon has the best price, where it is lower and usually some other options.
nukeprice.com will track your Amazon Wish list and email you when prices change but it is spotty. camelcamelcamel is helpful.
Overall I've found that the best deals are just before Black Friday and over that weekend. The last two years didn't wow me with last minute December deals (there are always a few exceptions).

urquie
11-15-2010, 09:07 PM
How would I track prices? I am in desperate need of an iPod Touch before I travel, and have no idea how to go about finding the best deals?

call your local costco and see if they have any left. they are fazing them out and going to carrier the ipads instead (so they told me). we got the last 32g 4g in my area. they may have had some 8g but i wanted more space for kid movies. :) they had the best price i could find anywhere.

swissair81
11-15-2010, 09:17 PM
I wish I could wait for the sales, but Hanukkah is so early this year.

TwinsItIs
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
call your local costco and see if they have any left. they are fazing them out and going to carrier the ipads instead (so they told me). we got the last 32g 4g in my area. they may have had some 8g but i wanted more space for kid movies. :) they had the best price i could find anywhere.
May I ask how much you got them for?