PDA

View Full Version : Who do you like best for women's suits?

viba424
11-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I need a pants suit, for interviews. Who makes the best mid priced suits, for example between Banana, Ann Taylor, Jcrew...I can go just about anywhere so Im not limited to those. I just want a good no frills, quality suit with pants. Any ideas?

AbbysMom
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I bought a pants suit at the Ann Taylor Loft 6 years ago. It is the only piece of clothing that fits as well now after 2 DDs as it did before and BY FAR is my favorite suit. It's held up very well.

fivi2
11-15-2010, 09:26 PM
I like (regular) Ann Taylor for suits.

I also happened to buy a suit at The Limited recently. They are definitely cheaper (quality and price) than Ann Taylor, but they had a few that I liked.

JCrew has never fit me right. I don't care for Ann Taylor Loft. I have some Banana slacks and shirts that I love, but haven't tried a full suit from them.

TwinFoxes
11-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I like Calvin Klein. Macys often has good suit sales.

JCrew doesn't fit my shape well. I've never tried Banana. Ann Taylor seemed to have more skirt suits than pants suits, but I haven't looked there in eons.

Wherever you go, try to find a place that will alter it...that's the way to get a good fit.

Sweetum
11-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but what really is the difference between Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft? Thanks.

mommylamb
11-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I think Ann Taylor Loft used to have nice suits but they've gone way down hill in recent years. I know part of this is me growing older, but I think when ATL first came out it was marketed to professional 20 snf 30 somethings as a nice, but cheaper version of AT. Now it seems to be terrible quality and marketed to less professional 20 somethings. I never shop there any more, but I do have several nice suits from ATL back in the good old days.

I do like AT, but I think they're overpriced for the quality as well to be honest. But, when you can get a sale, they're great. I have lost interest in AT for clothing other than suits and basics lately though... clearly, I'm having a hard time shopping for myself these days.

I like Calvin Klein suits too, and actually I've found great deals on these and other decent brands at TJMaxx. Seriously, like a Calvin Klein or Ann Klein suit for $70 for both jacket and slacks. It's hit or miss, but the hits are excellent.

DrSally
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
I have also seen really nice suits at TJmax. Very nice Calvin Klein, Tahari, etc. suits that are very stylish. It's hit or miss, so you kind of have to stalk.

twowhat?
11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
J Crew by far (at least for me).

nupe
11-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I have some great suits from Ann Taylor for over 5 years ago. I don't care for them anymore. The fabrics nowadays are just awful.

I have some older pieces from Banana, and some really nice suits from there from the last few years. The fabrics are much nicer. Their pants really fit me well, especially the Martin.

J Crew doesn't fit me well, and I even asked a former Banana employee who now works at J Crew if they had any pants she thought would fit me, and the answer was no! So I can't comment on J Crew for suits.

ltmommy
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I bought a couple of suits last spring at Banana. I needed them for work, as I need to wear one every other week or so. First I got a plain classic black one, with skirt and pants to go with the jacket, and then I found a khaki one on sale later on. I think the quality is just great, and with one of their sale codes (every so often they offer 20% or 30%) the prices are good for what you get. I am bummed because I saw a fall/winter suit a while back but waited for it to go on sale, and then it sold out in the meantime.

I particularly like Banana because they have pants that fit me (curvy & petite), and they are sold separately (I am a 2 - 4 on top and a 6 on bottom). If you happen to be more "normally" sized, I think some Macys locations have a lot of suits (sold as jacket and bottom together) that are a good deal.

jammytoast
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I've had horrible luck at Banana and AT, hate J crew but have had success at Nordstroms w/ the Halogen line. You can mix and match pieces (and, important for me, sizes!) and often find them on sale.

ohsara430
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I wear a suit at least 3 days a wk (should have chosen a different profession I guess!) and I always have to buy separates since I need a larger size on top than bottom. My favorites have actually been Anne Klein suit separates (bought at Macy's I think) and, don't laugh, but JCPenney Worthington suit separates. The Worthington separates are machine washable and wear really well. Dillard's also carries a nice variety of suit separates.

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1615634

jvs195
11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
I have also seen really nice suits at TJmax. Very nice Calvin Klein, Tahari, etc. suits that are very stylish. It's hit or miss, so you kind of have to stalk.

I've had excellent luck with these (I have a Calvin Klein, Anne Klein and Tahari) Nicely lined and the fabric way better than my Banana Republic suits. I've also found some at Nordstrom Rack. Lord and Taylor is having a sale and there are coupons on top of that if you have one nearby they usually have nice suits.

boolady
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I've had excellent luck with these (I have a Calvin Klein, Anne Klein and Tahari) Nicely lined and the fabric way better than my Banana Republic suits. I've also found some at Nordstrom Rack. Lord and Taylor is having a sale and there are coupons on top of that if you have one nearby they usually have nice suits.

I agree with this, and with the recommendation for Halogen from Nordstrom. I recently bought two more Halogen suits during the Half-Yearly Sale, and they are great. When I need work suits, I go to Lord and Taylor and/or Nordstrom when they are having sales.

kozachka
11-17-2010, 02:48 AM
I don't know what's your definition of "medium priced" but most of my suits are from Brooks Brothers, about half bought from the outlet on sale. I like AT for blouses, Banana Republic for non-iron shirts and J. Crew for casual t-shirts, not their suits. I also have had good luck with Nordstrom in the past, and particularly like the fact that they do alterations. Another good medium priced option is Theory but unfortunately they don't fit my body type.

citymama
11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
I like ATL and AT suits of the brands you mentioned. My ATL suit is still one of my favorites.