PDA

View Full Version : Golf clubs for small 7 year old

deborah_r
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Has anyone researched and bought golf clubs for a young child? My 7yo, who is about the size of a 4-5 year old, has been taking golf lessons for about 8 months and would like his own clubs, because he says most of the clubs in the class are too big for him. I do not know where to start, and don't want to spend a fortune. I guess maybe DS2 could also use them in a few years, but at this point he's looking more WWF than PGA, LOL!

From listening to the coaches, I'm thinking he needs a putter and a driver, but I do not know what else. Do we have to have them custom-made? I'm clueless on golf.

katydid1971
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
check ebay, I got a set for DS a few years ago that worked for a 3+ year old and he now has a set that were for a 5+ year old (those are a gift from his uncle who is a golf pro and they are a better set than his daddy's)

JBaxter
11-15-2010, 08:28 PM
We have several sets from Dick's sporting goods. I can never find a set on craigs list or ebay when I need a set.
We have left handed 5-9 Right handed 5-9 right handed junior varsity size left handed varisity size and a few 2-5 yr old clubs putter and driver I think

I suggest going someplace like Dick's to see the sizing and ask the sales guys for help.

deborah_r
11-15-2010, 08:35 PM
DH wants to go to a small golf shop in town (it's right next door to the hair salon that we all go to) but I am worried they are going to gouge us. He seemed to think I was crazy when I suggested checking Target, so I'm not sure what he would say to Dick's SG. We'll see. I do want to go somewhere and see him hold the clubs so we can figure out what size.

MelissaTC
11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Dicks sells name brand and reputable clubs. DH bought M's clubs there. He also needed a 5-9 aged set and they are really nice clubs. I wouldn't discount Dick's. At least at our store, there are knowledgeable guys that work in the golf department.

JBaxter
11-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I want to say the last little set was $70-80 ish ( think they were onsale) but that was with the bag, putter driver and 1 or 2 irons

VERY similar to this set our bag was blue. Ive been happy with Dicks esp for the kids stuff

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3498786&cp=2367438.4074790.4074795

ETA... If there is an additional club you can always buy a single if there is a must have.

lalasmama
11-15-2010, 11:44 PM
La started golfing this year (so cute!). She was 6 years old, 45 inches, and 40 pounds, so not a big thing by any stretch!

We found a set of Nike clubs for her. Can't remember what's all in it, but it was a kids set, so basic. We paid $60 for it. I think SO bought it at someplace like Play It Again Sports.

hellokitty
11-16-2010, 12:00 AM
I want to say the last little set was $70-80 ish ( think they were onsale) but that was with the bag, putter driver and 1 or 2 irons

VERY similar to this set our bag was blue. Ive been happy with Dicks esp for the kids stuff

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3498786&cp=2367438.4074790.4074795

ETA... If there is an additional club you can always buy a single if there is a must have.

That's the same set that we have. DH found it on clearance at Dick's and was thrilled. He thought for sure he's have to order it online. He was impressed by it as a kid set.