PDA

View Full Version : Which Doll for my 20 month old DD? found a bitty twin for $70-good deal?

diamond
11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Deleted

naam
11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
It doesn't sound like such a good deal to me. You can buy a single Bitty Baby for $45 and the twins for $95. The regular BB would probably be better at this age, too, as there's no hair to get matted or tangled.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
that's expensive for a Bitty Twin. You can get two new ones for a total of $95 shipped from the website with the free shipping code. If you go in to a store you can buy a single twin for ~$50, but online you have to buy two at a time.

I wouldn't buy that doll unless she comes down to well under $50. The fact that it is "retired" is not a selling point for a doll your daughter will play with. That is only important to collectors who want to put it on a shelf and have something "rare".

I just got a Bitty Twin for my daughter who will be 27 months at Christmas. I don't expect her to be able to play with it yet. My older daughter is just now getting to the age where she can comb and take care of dolls' hair at the age of seven. I expect Bitty Twin's hair to be trashed. Also at this age they don't really get into changing clothes on the doll. Most of the dolls lived naked until my older daughter was about five years old. :)

babyready
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
My 20 month old DD loves dolls recently and where ever she goes--friends place, daycare etcc... hold the dolls and calls baby and cries a lot if we take it from her. She has a doll at home which is ancient which she is playing with. puts the doll to sleep in her bouncer, holds her all the time etc.. I want to get her a nicer doll, but not sure which one to get? she is 20 months old. I was thinking of a bitty twin and there is one for $70 on our craiglist, i like the brown hair girl--
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bab/2059405906.html

Do you think this is an appropriate price for a twin doll? the lady says it is new but a retired doll? will it be too big for a 20 month old? can the dolls hair be combed?/ brushed? does the doll (twin) have clothes which my DD can change and enjoy?

Or any other recommendations for my DD is greatly appreciated. ty

Does not seem like a great deal to me either. You can buy a single bitty with an outfit for $55. Unless you are looking for this particular one, I think you should just buy a new one with darker hair. We bought the one in the argyle outfit for dd for Christmas but the blond version. She is super cute and dd LOVES her in the store.

Good luck!

ETA: I did not realize you could not buy one twin online. They do have it listed in the catalog, though, so maybe that is the route to go if you do not have a store nearby. Otherwise, i am pretty sure that someone just posted about doing a phone order from a store for one bitty twin.

minnie-zb
11-16-2010, 12:56 PM
What about buying a corolle doll? They are beautiful dolls and not as expensive. The Tidoo ones are especially nice as they can be used in the tub.

melonkelli
11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
My daughter received a Baby Cuddles Bath Time Doll Set for her 2nd birthday last year. I see that it's on sale at Macy's right now:
http://tinyurl.com/26435zn

It's the right size for her, and soft in the middle (with hard plastic head, legs and arms). She can't really dress it herself, but she enjoys carrying it around.

melonkelli

Seitvonzu
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
what bitty twin was "retired?" i'm on an adult collector list for american girl dolls (the larger size primarily) and i've never heard of the twins being retired...that sounds fishy to me. and like someone said- it's a play doll. i'd buy direct from american girl. if you are set on a twin i'd call a store and have them ship to you (i think someone recently mentioned doing that in around the house)... or... if you are willing to spend the 95- get the twins! so fun! or, again if you are worried about hair, get bitty baby.

bitty baby *might* still be too big for a child under 2...i think it's really better for preschool aged kids. calins are sweet, smell nice and a good small size. my nearly 3 year old has been really into her calin and tidoo dolls quite recently.

in any case... if you want an AG product, i think people do best buying directly from american girl. when you buy it "second hand" people tend to overinflate what they have thinking of it as "collectible." these are supposed to be PLAY dolls-- either spend the money new or don't...but i wouldn't do it if i wasn't going to let my kiddo "play."

okay, i'm stepping down off my soapbox now :) :) :)

Seitvonzu
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
i wanted to add that in the "tidoo or calin?" threads i usually say "calin" but recently our tidoo has been creating such fun bathtime hijinks that i have almost changed my mind...

still , for overall cuddling.. i guess i'm still "calin" :)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I think the seller was trying to trick people. The outfit that comes in Bitty Twin was changed since she bought these. That's not really the same as "retired". Discontinued, yes. Assuming it isn't still available for sale on the site as a single outfit.

Bitty Twins have changed slightly over the years, but I wouldn't call the older version "retired".