PDA

View Full Version : At 28 wks shoes are now a pain to put on...Help!!!

MissAndi
11-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi All!

So, I'm 28 weeks, and my feet are, of course, swelling. And my getting bigger at every moment belly is making it difficult to put on shoes that require laces, or lots of pulling. I had been rotating through my Converse, Frye boots, and a pair of sneaker-like shoes with elastic thingies. Problem is that the Converse have laces, the Fryes require lots of pulling to get on/off, and it is too cold to wear the little sneaker shoes without socks. And, well, the socks look really dumb.

So.... other than Uggs (which I just can't make myself pull the trigger on b/c I swore I would never wear them) does anyone have any advice on shoes they wore during the winter months that were easy on/off AND cute?

I have been able to remain fashionable throughout my pregnancy and would like to continue the trend if at all possible (you know, while not killing myself trying to get in and out of shoes at the same time)! For reference, I mainly wear leggings, skinny jeans, or an awesome denim mini that I got on super sale. So, something that would go with all that would be great.

Thanks so much!!

weech
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I wore slouchy boots during the entire winter while I was pregnant last year -- literally, I wore them every day. They were fairly loose around my calves, so I could pull them on/kick them off super easily, they were flat, and they fit even when my feet were swollen. I actually still wear them.

Here's a link to what I *think* are the same boots, but I have them in gray. The slouching is on the whole boot, not just that one section, though. http://www.rackroomshoes.com/product/pesaro/natasha/1402.122342.html

HTH!

lizzywednesday
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Drink lots of water, sleep with your feet elevated, stay off your feet whenever you can and keep them elevated whenever possible as well.

I lived in my New Balance sneakers and Dansko clogs last year, but I could have rotated my Clarks Mary Janes into my work wardrobe if I'd cared to. (I didn't.)

You might also want to go up a width in your shoes, so if you're currently wearing a standard "B" width (a.k.a. "Medium" width) you might want to go up to a "D" width (a.k.a. "Wide" width) for the time being.

Alternately, you can try styles that have a bit more volume.

Oh, and one thing I used to do whenever I wore my sneakers was to lace them up at the foot of the stairs in my house. I could raise my foot high enough to get to a spot where I could bend or squat to get to the laces, so that's what I did.

Mermanaid
11-16-2010, 03:51 PM
How about some ballet slippers if it's warm enough where you are? Easy on, easy off. Look great with leggings and skinny jeans.

BabyBearsMom
11-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Do prenatal yoga. I used to do it twice a week and it really helped cut down on the swelling by improving circulation dramatically.

MommyAllison
11-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, ballet flats.

stinkyfeet
11-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I am a few weeks behind you in my pregnancy, and I too wanted a shoe that would look good with the clothes that you also wear. I usually LOVE my red patent Danskos clogs, but they really only look good with bootcut style pants.

I recently bought these shoes:

http://www.zappos.com/fitflop-superboot-short-suede-smoke-grey-suede

They do not have the fuzzy lining like Uggs. Also, they are a lot more supportive than Uggs (even the "Ultimate" line--I compared side by side!). I think that the brand of shoe is endorsed by the American Podiatric Association.

I got a size a little bit bigger than my foot b/c I wanted to put my orthotics and wear thick winter socks with them. There is still plenty of room in the shoe for my feet to swell. They are really comfy and pretty easy to get on and off!

jenrub
11-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm 32 wks and I've been having that problem right around the same time as yours. I wore flip flops and ballet flats on my 2nd trimester. I still wear my ballet flats at times when it's not too cold but other than that, I'd have to wear my converse and uggs. My uggs are hard to put on so I'd have DH help put it on and take off which is a pain. Converse is great but casual. I was able to find a pair of over the knee boots which I can fold on top and slouch that are black, suede flats at Nordstrom Rack for $99.90 (they have it online at Nordstrom for $94.90 but not a lot to choose from with size and color).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3059801?origin=PredictiveSearch&resultback=2468

I was originally looking for a flat, leather boot but after reading the replies on threads, the suede, slouch boot is something that people recommended for convenience of putting on & taking off which has been very true. Aside from that, I also got a pair of Crocs with fleece lining to wear on quick errands like grocery shopping and such so I can just slip it on and off.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-mammoth/10049,default,pd.html?cid=952&cgid=women-fuzz

smiles33
11-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I know you need winter shoes, but i loved my Keen Mary Janes when I was pregnant!

http://www.shoemall.com/assets/product_images/styles/medium/139542BLK1R.jpg

WatchingThemGrow
11-26-2010, 11:57 PM
I live in Merrell slides, mary janes or mocs, pg or not. Maybe they don't fit your fashion criteria, but I just slip them on while I have a baby in my arms and am trying to get out the door.

zag95
11-27-2010, 01:22 AM
When i was pregnant about 3 yrs ago- I wore Clarks slides, Birks with socks, or slip on loafers.

What about getting a pr of ugg knockoffs at Costco? I'd do a slip on like a birk or similar- that you can let the straps out- it is very helpful after delivery too, as you leave the hospital when you are swollen with fluid! They were the only shoes I could wear!

You could also invest in a pr of driving mocs or similar- that have a waterproof sole- I recommend going up a size as PP have mentioned!

Congrats on the new arrival! GL.