PDA

View Full Version : InStep bike trailers

jerry_mishkata
11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
OK, I don't ride my bike much... not any more at least. I have a kangaroo seat for my baby but I am SO freaked out to ride it alone because I have nowhere to put the diaper bag -- it can't be behind me because then it would block me from dismounting the bike and I have to be able to do that REALLY quickly to be safe with baby in the seat...

Plus it is waaay too windy over here for biking without some sort of canopy/rain cover thing. So, I was hoping I could bike some more if I get a bike trailer. I saw the chariots and burleighs are like 3-5 times the price of my bike so that doesn't make sense to me. Plus I don't need a fancy trailer... so I was thinking about those instep cheap trailers...

Just to make it clear -- I don't plan to go on trips over 3-4 miles with the bike. But I need wind protection for my child. Is an InStep trailer going to give me that? Does anyone have one? Single vs double?

o_mom
11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
We have one that I got on clearance at Target probably 5(?) years ago. It has held up well. DH has had it on up to 20-25 mi rides with no issues. We got it with the intention to upgrade if we found ourselves using it a bunch, but haven't yet gotten to that point and now we probably only have another year or two before we can retire it. For what you are describing, I think it would work fine.

Ours is the aluminum one, but I'm not sure how much difference that makes. I also have a friend that got the same one at the same time and they are much harder on things so theirs is missing snaps, etc. If you are generally not hard on stuff, it should be fine.

roseyloxs
11-16-2010, 10:01 PM
It would probably be fine. I found a BJ switchback on my local craigslist and snatched that up. I figure I can sell it when we are done with it and get most of my money back. I see Chariots and Burleys up every so often as well and they keep their value really well too so I think that would be your best option if you have a decent CL that is.

You can buy a closeout of the original BJ tailwind trailer (http://www.babyjogger.com/c-31-Accessories.aspx#closeouts) on their site for $200.

http://www.babyjogger.com/images/PRODUCT/icon/87.jpg

DrSally
11-16-2010, 10:20 PM
We have one from when it was on sale at Target a few years ago. It's been fine for us. There are much nicer ones out there, but it works for us, as we prob use it less than 10 times per year.

jerry_mishkata
11-17-2010, 09:17 AM
THanks all!

KrisM
11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
We also have one that is about 5.5 years old. It has gotten pretty good use over the years and up to about 20 miles at a time. One kid, 2 kids, it works well.