PDA

View Full Version : treadmill boredom

Sweetum
11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I've begun a routine of speed walking+running on the treadmill every morning for the last 2 weeks. Since I'm running, I can't really read. And I'm not much of a music person while working out. so, I end up paying too much attention to my workout, and in the process "feel" every discomfort, and every second feels like an eternity! And today, I cut short my routine by 5 mintues because I couldn't continue! Please tell me what I can do to fight this situation. thanks...

cono0507
11-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Can you get a TV in there to watch or stream some shows on a laptop computer? I often used treadmill time to catch up on shows! :)

wellyes
11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
It's all about distraction. I time my treadmill visits to the gym so that I can watch Jeopardy. Or a podcast (like "This American Life) would be good to listen to. Or try an audiobook - something you enjoy but is kind of fluffy. If you read Harry Potter year ago, try the audiobook now. You don't need to pay superclose attention but it is amusing and really well-done. It would help pass the time.

YouAreTheFocus
11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Pre-baby our elliptical and computer were in the same room, so I would watch shows from Netflix while exercising. It did help some. Would you be able to mix in some outdoor runs as well? I really find being indoors unbearable, even with music / TV. I don't know what it is, every second kills me!

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2010, 08:23 PM
The outdoor running is what really does it for me. I slog through my treadmill routine and get through my 3-4 miles. But, outside I could run for so much longer without getting bored. And, another perk of running outside is that I park then run away far away from the car. I have no choice but to have to get back to my car. :) On the treadmill you can just turn it off and quit.

But, I love my music on the treadmill. I have my routine choreographed. One thing that really keeps me going is this one song that I walk, jog then sprint to. Whenever I get bored I put that song on over and over again. The song is almost 5 minutes long so I know even if I play it one more time it's 5 minutes I might not have done otherwise. It's the Limp Bizkit song from Mission Impossible 2, "Take a Look Around".

I've taken to running outside and only going indoors for classes or weights.

Beth

Sweetum
11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks, ladies, for the suggestions. For now, I'm going to stick with it inside - I'm too bothered to go out, and I don't know if I'm pushing myself enough. When I run outside, what feels like eternity is actually just a a minute or so. Yes, I'm totally out of shape :( Maybe some inline skating over the weekend. ...
So, I think I'll get some audiobooks from the library that are easy listens. And do some podcasts. I hate commercials in TV shows when working out, and besides I don't have a place for a laptop, so I can't do those right away. Have to talk to DH about doing something to fix that!

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
There's a gym near me that has a cardio theater. Dark room filled with treadmills and such. They play movies all day in there. I only toured it but it looked cool and I could get into that!

Beth

mikeys_mom
11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
I download tv shows onto my iPod touch and watch those while I run on the treadmill. An actual tv would be better but it doesn't work with my current treadmill setup, so the iPod does the trick.