PDA

View Full Version : beco gemini or pikkolo?

scat
11-18-2010, 05:29 AM
ok, so i have now narrowed it down to these two.
does anyone have experience with either one or even better with both?
i am 5'2 and about 120 lbs. i will be the main wearer. however, i would also like it for my 6 ft 220 dh.
comfort is of utmost importance. also how lightweight it is. my baby sweats a lot.
from what i know these seem the best because of the different positions and life span. the ergo seems sooo bulky... i am very inexperienced, so if you know something please dont hesitate to advise... (no wraps please)
tia

scat
11-18-2010, 05:33 AM
forgot to add, picked those two because seem good from birth. the ergo is not... and i just want to get one carrier.

lizzywednesday
11-18-2010, 02:38 PM
The Gemini is really nice, but the padding on the straps is a bit thicker than what I'm used to with our Ergo. Technically, you can use the Ergo from birth, but you do need an insert to do so ... and the latest insert is fairly bulky. (I would have used it more often than my wrap if I'd had a start-of-winter baby rather than an end-of-winter one, though!)

I love that the Gemini has got a forward-facing option in addition to the back-carry option, which is something I was fairly interested in with my DD when she started to get interested in the world. The woman I bought my SIL's Moby from described the Gemini as a "gateway carrier" - something easy to use, fairly comfortable for mama and baby and pretty supportive for what you're getting.

I don't have experience with the Pikkolo, but I know that the people here who have them do love them!

Can you find a baby-wearing group in your area to play with both? I think that would be your best resource for figuring out where to spend your money!

scat
11-18-2010, 05:14 PM
no, there is really no baby wearing groups in my area. i wish! so i basically must rely on others opinions and experience. thanks for your response! i hope to get more to help my decision.

crl
11-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I loved my pikkolo, but sent it back after about two months use due to quality problems. Have never used the Gemini. I think the baby wearers forums would be a good resource for you.

Catherine

citymama
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm 5'6" and about 115 lbs and very comfortable/happy with my Pikkolo. I've used it since DD2 was about 6 or 8 weeks (she's now 6 months). My DH (who is 6'1") probably could use it but I prefer not to have to readjust the fit each time. He used the Maya wrap from 0-6 months with both kids and is now using our Ergo with DD2. If you're going to both be doing a fair amount of babywearing and are built differently, I would recommend 2 soft structured carriers.

babyonway
11-25-2010, 04:17 PM
It is very comfortable and DD loves it. I stuggled with the best carrier for me. First i had a Moby Wrap (too much material and during the summer was TOO hot) then a Maya sling (this hurt my back because all the weight was on one shoulder, and DD didn't not like the froggie position and was always trying to stand up.) I then looked at soft structured carriers. I didn't like the insert (DD was still young and would require the insert) for the Ergo because it was July/August and HOT where I live so I got the Pikkolo and love it. It is very comfortable on my back. My mom and DH love it too and between the 3 of us my mom is tiny (5'2", 105 lbs), I am average and DH is 6'3" and 210 lbs and it is really comfortable for all of us.