PDA

View Full Version : For fun...what's your favorite Thanksgiving dish? (recipes welcome!)

TwinFoxes
11-18-2010, 07:38 AM
It may not be interesting, but I'm a big fan of turkey (breast) and gravy. Mmm. People who say turkey is dry haven't had it done right. :) I also love sweet potato pie.

Anyone else? Share your secret love of green bean casserole here, no judgment. :wink2:

MoJo
11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Pumpkin pie, which I won't eat this year because Ha gets painful gas if I eat anything made with dairy. I haven't seen a way to replace evaporated milk with almond milk!

Runner up is stuffing. . . bread, eggs, onion, celery, chicken broth, and spices all baked together. Nothing special, except that we only eat it on Thanksgiving and I like it.

DH's fave is sweet potato casserole. I'm making that for his potluck at work next week.

My mom will only eat turkey if it's dry. So I'm glad I'm not having my Thanksgiving meal at her house!

Melbel
11-18-2010, 08:32 AM
This is our hands down winner with our family:

Cranberry Apple Casserole

3 cups peeled, chopped apples
2 cups cranberries (1 bag Ocean Spray)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 (1 5/8 ounce) packages instant oatmeal with cinnamon and spice
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
Pecan halves
Additional fresh cranberries

Combine apples, 2 cups cranberries, and 2 tablespoons flour, tossing to coat; add 1 cup sugar, mixing well. Place in a 2 quart casserole.

Combine oatmeal, copped pecans, 1/2 cup flour, and brown sugar; add butter, and stir well. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries. Yield 6 to 8 servings.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Mashed potatoes with gravy. To get them extra yummy they must be Yukon Golds and you have to use cream and butter. :) I go through a lot of cream and butter on Thanksgiving as they are essential to many of my dishes!! I make mashed potatoes year round but the gravy makes them so wonderful!
Beth

TwinFoxes
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Mashed potatoes with gravy. To get them extra yummy they must be Yukon Golds and you have to use cream and butter. :) I go through a lot of cream and butter on Thanksgiving as they are essential to many of my dishes!! I make mashed potatoes year round but the gravy makes them so wonderful!
Beth

DH's fave is definitely mashed potatoes. He makes them, and they are super yummy! It's the one thing he can cook that is tasty, rather than just edible.

lizzywednesday
11-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Pumpkin pie, which I won't eat this year because Ha gets painful gas if I eat anything made with dairy. I haven't seen a way to replace evaporated milk with almond milk!

Could you try coconut milk & adjust your sugar content?

lizzywednesday
11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Stuffing. As long as the cook hasn't added the giblets back to it. (My dad's family does, so there are pieces of chopped turkey liver & heart running all through it. Organ meats have never been my cup of tea.)

Cranberry-orange relish. (Usually store-bought, from either TJ's or WF.)

Sweet potato casserole. Not the runny, "yams" in a can crap with marshmallow topping, but actual sweet potato casserole, with a praline pecan topping.

Pecan pie. Any pecan pie. But especially the one my uncle John makes.

And I am not the biggest fan of poultry in general, so turkey is typically waaaay down on my list.

gobadgers
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
On my side of the family, scalloped corn (?) is the all-round family favorite. It is an embarrassing casserole-type dish but we all eat tons of it every Thanksgiving.

Several sleeves of Saltines are ground up in the food processor, mixed together with several cans of creamed corn and a little red pepper, and baked in the oven. I can't say why it's so good, but it definitely is!

wendmatt
11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
gobadgers, is the recipe that simple? I have to take a few dishes to a big thanksgiving thing, I'm a vegetarian, DH doesn't like sweet stuff and I'm not Martha Stewart, so this sounds very interesting (read simple!) to me. By several, how many sleeves of saltines and how many cans of corn, do you just mix the whole can into the ground saltines? Add cheese or anything and how much red pepper?
Thanks for a bit more info, I'd like to try and make it

gobadgers
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
gobadgers, is the recipe that simple? I have to take a few dishes to a big thanksgiving thing, I'm a vegetarian, DH doesn't like sweet stuff and I'm not Martha Stewart, so this sounds very interesting (read simple!) to me. By several, how many sleeves of saltines and how many cans of corn, do you just mix the whole can into the ground saltines? Add cheese or anything and how much red pepper?
Thanks for a bit more info, I'd like to try and make it

Wendmatt - I'll talk to my brother, the expert, and post back later for specific quantities. He'll be honored if you make it! :)

ilfaith
11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
My favorite Thanksgiving food is candied sweet potatoes...but never with marshmallows. I usually just peel and cut the yams and cook them with orange juice, brown sugar, butter and pumpkin pie spice. Pretty much this (although for a crowd I probably quadruple it):
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/candied-sweet-potatoes-2/Detail.aspx

The other recipe my family has made every year for as long as I can remember is Ritz Cracker stuffing...
http://www.foodmaven.com/diary/00000073.html
It's more or less this recipe, but we also include grated carrots. I don't even want to contemplate how unhealthy it is, but the only time we ever eat it is Thanksgiving.

And since I've already got my food processor out to make the stuffing, I'll whip up some cranberry orange relish
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/sauce/fresh_cranberry_orange_relish_recipe.html

weech
11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
My dad's mashed (whipped?) potatoes, maybe. I never eat homemade mashed potatoes during the year, so it's a treat. I also really love sweet potatoes in a caramelized brown sugar/orange juice sauce.

My absolute favorite, though, is mixing a bit of each dish in a bowl the morning after Thanksgiving, stirring it up and eating it. Ha. Gross and delicious all at the same time! :rotflmao:

Jo..
11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I love the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes. We brine our turkey and it is so moist it literally spurts. Stuffing, gravy...yum.

This recipe is a hit whenever I make it...people always ask for the recipe. It's delicious and SUPER easy

Corn Souffle

prep time 15 min
total time 55 min
makes 16 servings

What You Need

2 Tbsp. butter

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed

1 can (15-1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

1 can (14.75 oz.) cream-style corn

1 pkg. (8.5 oz.) corn muffin mix

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Make It

HEAT oven to 350ºF.
MICROWAVE butter in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 30 sec. or until melted. Stir in cream cheese. Microwave 15 sec. or until cream cheese is softened; stir until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Add next 4 ingredients; mix well.
POUR into 13x9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray; top with Cheddar.
BAKE 40 min. or until golden brown. Cool slightly.

ilfaith
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
What I really love most is the day after Thanksgiving when I make a wrap with the leftover turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce on a tortilla. Makes me a little sad that we're doing the holiday at our club this year and won't have the leftovers to enjoy. Sometimes I make it with deli turkey breast, Stove Top stuffing and cranberry sauce from a can...good but not quite the same.

jgenie
11-18-2010, 10:29 AM
DH's sweet potatoes w/ marshmallows - I could eat the whole pan and have come close!!!

LD92599
11-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Yum Yum Yum! I'll find the recipe and edit with it!

LMPC
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
My dad's cornbread dressing. It's way too complicated for me to deal with..I have the recipe, but if he's still around to make it, I'm deferring to him.

Honestly, I could care less about the turkey, but have been told that I make a nice turkey. Not really a recipe, so much as a method. wash the turkey in cool water, lemon and salt. Put the turkey breast side down on an elevated rack in a roasting dish. Stick oranges, lemons, carrots, and onion inside the cavity...not tight, just a few. rub a bit of butter and salt on the skin. Tent the entire bird. Cook as you normally would. About 1 hour before the bird is done, flip it over so that the breast is facing up and take tent off. That's it! Super easy and super juicy!

Fairy
11-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Stuffing. Without question, stuffing, stuffing, and more stuffing. I could eat only stuffing on Turkey Day and be happy. It will certainly wreck the 29 lbs I've lost, as I'm doing no white carbs, but I'll tell ya, I'm lookign forward to it!

dec756
11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
these all sound awesome ladies thanks!! my IL's cannot cook so i am needing ideas on what to make :)

dec756
11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
On my side of the family, scalloped corn (?) is the all-round family favorite. It is an embarrassing casserole-type dish but we all eat tons of it every Thanksgiving.

Several sleeves of Saltines are ground up in the food processor, mixed together with several cans of creamed corn and a little red pepper, and baked in the oven. I can't say why it's so good, but it definitely is!

needing this recipes please!!!

daisymommy
11-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Aww, you have to have pumpkin pie MoJo!

You can make dairy free pumpkin pie with unsweetened almond, coconut, or rice milk in the same amount as the milk called for in the recipe!

http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-and-dairy-free-too-191098

http://mykidsallergies.blogspot.com/2007/10/pumpkin-pie-recipe-dairy-free-nut-free.html

And my favorite Thanksgiving food is Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing--my FIL's recipe that has been passed down through the family. I could eat the whole treay of it myself :) But I also love creamy mashed potatoes with tons of butter and cream, and chocolate pecan pie (ala Rachel Ray). Drool, drool.

jerigirl
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I am going to make a new green bean recipe this year. Bacon Braised green beans (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/bacon-braised-string-beans-recipe/index.html). I made them for the first time last week and they were yummy!

sjfin
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
It sounds yucky and for whatever reason we only eat this when with my family (every other year). Neither my husband nor my brother-in-laws will eat it but all the other adults do.

Basically cooked carrots slices in cream of mushroom soup.
Half of the can of cream of mushroom is used for creamed onions. Which only mom and her brother eats since the older relatives have passed on.

And stuffing - gotta have it but really stuffing - no stove top or pepp. farm.
And gotta be cooked in the bird!

jse107
11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Turkey is just a vehicle for the gravy in my book.

Stuffing is my favorite--just my mom's recipe that I make now. I do love Green Bean Casserole...I think because it's just part of the tradition, you know?

A big hit with our guests has been the stuffed acorn squash. I halve the squash, de-seed them, microwave them for about 10 minutes (flesh side down), and then stuff them with a mix of apples, dried cranberries/cherries/raisins, and brown sugar. (I cooked that mix until the apples were soft first.) Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for about 20 minutes. Makes a lovely presentation and everyone seems to enjoy!

This year I'm just going to make the apple mixture for the kids to have on the side!

jerigirl
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
This is our hands down winner with our family:

Cranberry Apple Casserole

3 cups peeled, chopped apples
2 cups cranberries (1 bag Ocean Spray)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 (1 5/8 ounce) packages instant oatmeal with cinnamon and spice
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
Pecan halves
Additional fresh cranberries

Combine apples, 2 cups cranberries, and 2 tablespoons flour, tossing to coat; add 1 cup sugar, mixing well. Place in a 2 quart casserole.

Combine oatmeal, copped pecans, 1/2 cup flour, and brown sugar; add butter, and stir well. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries. Yield 6 to 8 servings.

Melbel do you eat this as a side dish or dessert? It sounds like an apple/cranberry crisp. Looks yummy! I will have to try it.

Corie
11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Share your secret love of green bean casserole here, no judgment. :wink2:

I LOVE green bean casserole! I could eat the entire dish by myself.

I also love corn bread stuffing.

And, I've never been a huge fan of turkey until I met my husband. His turkey
is delicious. So moist and flavorful.

Oh, and I'm buying some cinnamon ice cream from Graeter's to put on
top of my warm apple pie.

egoldber
11-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Dressing. But baked on th eside, not in the bird. I love it in all its forms, cornbread, bread, sausage, mushroom, etc. Yum!

MoJo
11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, daisymommy! I'm definitely going to make one now!

I think DH would like those bacon green beans, too.

lchang25000
11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE green bean casserole and sweet potato souffle with marshmellows!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!

boolady
11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Stuffing. Without question, stuffing, stuffing, and more stuffing. I could eat only stuffing on Turkey Day and be happy.

Me,too. Specifically, I could eat my mom's stuffing with her homemade gravy on it and be 100% happy. Yum.

Indianamom2
11-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, I love the dressing...but not cornbread dressing.

Ironically, even though I adore my in-laws, the big holiday meals just aren't the same as what I am accustomed to. My mom and her mom are great cooks. It's not that my MIL isn't, she just doesn't fix the same sort of things. For example, they only fix cornbread dressing. BLech! They usually don't have gravy either...oh the horror! That's almost sacreligious, IMO!

I do love my MIL's fried corn (no idea how it's made) and I've come to love whipped sweet potatoes topped with crushed pecans, brown sugar and butter.

Melbel
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Melbel do you eat this as a side dish or dessert? It sounds like an apple/cranberry crisp. Looks yummy! I will have to try it.

We use it as a side dish (in lieu of cranberry relish) but it would also work for dessert. It is a family fave and we always get recipe requests if we bring it anywhere. We serve it on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter (it goes great with either turkey or ham).

crispychicky
11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
I love the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes. We brine our turkey and it is so moist it literally spurts. Stuffing, gravy...yum.

This recipe is a hit whenever I make it...people always ask for the recipe. It's delicious and SUPER easy

Corn Souffle

prep time 15 min
total time 55 min
makes 16 servings

What You Need

2 Tbsp. butter

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed

1 can (15-1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

1 can (14.75 oz.) cream-style corn

1 pkg. (8.5 oz.) corn muffin mix

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Make It

HEAT oven to 350ºF.
MICROWAVE butter in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 30 sec. or until melted. Stir in cream cheese. Microwave 15 sec. or until cream cheese is softened; stir until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Add next 4 ingredients; mix well.
POUR into 13x9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray; top with Cheddar.
BAKE 40 min. or until golden brown. Cool slightly.

This corn souffle sounds yummy! Can you make it ahead of time, or is it really best straight out of the oven?

cindys
11-18-2010, 02:20 PM
"This corn souffle sounds yummy! Can you make it ahead of time, or is it really best straight out of the oven?"

Yes, I am wondering this too....I would have to make and carry it with me in the car for about an hr.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 2 :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

TwinFoxes
11-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, and I'm buying some cinnamon ice cream from Graeter's to put on
top of my warm apple pie.

I don't know what Graeter's is, but cinnamon ice cream on warm apple pie sounds like deliciousness.

This thread is making me super hungry, and I just had lunch!

zoestargrove
11-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I am salivating just reading all of these. I look forward to my MIL's sausage and apple stuffing all year long.

Cam&Clay
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
MY greenbean casserole is my favorite. It's sour cream/lemon based, not soup based.

Here's a link to a similar one. I use mozzarella cheese, though.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/grnbeancasserole/r/bl20901e.htm

infomama
11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Also not a fan of turkey. Stuffing may be my favorite.

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Sweet potato - anything but the marshmallow dish though. I really love sweet potatos and carrots mashed together.

bigsis
11-18-2010, 02:48 PM
It may not be interesting, but I'm a big fan of turkey (breast) and gravy. Mmm. People who say turkey is dry haven't had it done right. :)

Uh...hello?! I can't believe no one has asked how you do your turkey! Details please :)

lizzywednesday
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Also not a fan of turkey. Stuffing may be my favorite.

I will say that I love deep-fried turkey, but my MIL is always afraid we'll set our house on fire if we try it. Damn shame, because deep-fried turkey is very yummy.

I guess she's never seen the Good Eats fried turkey episode with the turkey-fry rig... http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/fry-turkey-fry/index.html

swissair81
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM

My pumpkin pie is made with non dairy creamer.

Babymakes3
11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
My fave is definitely Green Bean Casserole! I make mine with fresh green beans though and it's soooo much better that way!

I'm trying a new recipe for Potato Rolls this year so hopefully they will be a hit!

sjfin
11-18-2010, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=Indianamom2;2927312] Ironically, even though I adore my in-laws, the big holiday meals just aren't the same as what I am accustomed to. My mom and her mom are great cooks. It's not that my MIL isn't, she just doesn't fix the same sort of things.

Ditto that!
I don't know why I can't do the quote box.

At any rate, Thanksgiving is about family and tradition. And I just prefer the traditional Thanksgiving table I grew up with. On the years we spend with in-laws, I end up having another turkey a week later because of the foods I missed that my mom prepares. I can compromise and bring some items (grandma's rolls, homemade cranberry), but I don't think I could go so far as to say "Let me bring the stuffing". That would not go over well!

Jo..
11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
"This corn souffle sounds yummy! Can you make it ahead of time, or is it really best straight out of the oven?"

Yes, I am wondering this too....I would have to make and carry it with me in the car for about an hr.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 2 :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Corn souffle is just as yummy at room temp or reheated. It is a great make ahead dish

army_mom
11-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Sweet potato casserole and my Mom's meat stuffing....mmmmm....only eat them at this time of year and I'm excited for next week!
Fat pants here I come! :rotflmao:

gobadgers
11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Here is how my DB makes our scallopped corn:

4 cans of regular kernel corn
4 cans of creamed corn
4 sleeves of Saltines
few dashes of powdered red pepper, depending on your taste

Mix all together, pour into (a very big) greased casserole dish. Grind up another 1/4 sleeve of crackers to sprinkle over the top.

He doesn't have any idea how long it cooks for - I would guess 1+ hour. It's golden and a little crispy on top when it's done.

Bon Appetit!

ThreeofUs
11-18-2010, 03:40 PM

We make ours with rice milk, adjust the sugar, and only cinnamon. (Very sensitive taste buds in our house....)

So
1 can pumpkin
1 can rice milk
3/4 c turbinado or light brown sugar
1.5 t cinnamon
2-3 eggs

beat eggs, whip everything together, adjust rice milk quantity until the mix is thick enough without being too thick.

15 mins at 425F, 30 mins at 330F

Pretty yummy!

m448
11-18-2010, 03:48 PM
We celebrated thanksgiving growing up but being Latin it was a whole 'nother meal. So my favorites come from my husband's southern table. Cornbread dressing, cranberry relish and my absolute favorite dessert that is one of my few concessions to a boxed mix is pumpkin pie crunch. Good grief that stuff is great.

ilfaith
11-18-2010, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Indianamom2;2927312] Ironically, even though I adore my in-laws, the big holiday meals just aren't the same as what I am accustomed to. My mom and her mom are great cooks. It's not that my MIL isn't, she just doesn't fix the same sort of things.

Ditto that!
I don't know why I can't do the quote box.

At any rate, Thanksgiving is about family and tradition. And I just prefer the traditional Thanksgiving table I grew up with. On the years we spend with in-laws, I end up having another turkey a week later because of the foods I missed that my mom prepares. I can compromise and bring some items (grandma's rolls, homemade cranberry), but I don't think I could go so far as to say "Let me bring the stuffing". That would not go over well!

I do agree that the Thanksgiving foods we love are the traditional ones we grew up with, and these, of course differ from family to family. When w still lived in NYC, we used to alternate between having Thanksgiving at my parents home, or with DH's family, which meant DH's brother and his partner. Neither b-i-l, nor his partner were much for cooking, so they would have the holiday catered by Ben's, a kosher deli. So our "traditional" turkey would be accompanied by farfel (matzo) stuffing, a potato kugel, cole slaw and rye bread. Instead of gravy, we'd get russian dressing. I always found it amusing that b-i-l's partner's nieces (nice little Italian girls) were growing up thinking of knishes and matzo ball soup as "traditional" Thanksgiving fare. I must admit, it took some getting used to on my part (and I did insist on bringing my candied yams every time) but I got over my disappointment in the menu, because it's really all about being together with loved ones and being thankful for all we have.

JoyNChrist
11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I LOVE green bean casserole! I could eat the entire dish by myself.

Me too! Nothing fancy, just the recipe of the back of the onion can.

My aunt makes a super yummy rice & sausage dressing, and my cousin's husband makes a carrot souffle that I love.

One that may be unique to our family/area is deer kabobs. We have a ton of hunters in our family so we usually have a lot of deer meat by Thanksgiving. We take pieces of backstrap, soak them in Italian dressing, wrap them in bacon and grill them. Soooo yummy!

ETA - I forgot to add my pumpkin cheesecake, which I could eat all by myself. But I probably won't be making them this year...too time-consuming!

bigpassport
11-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Definitely stuffing. With sausage. In the bird. YUM!

About 1 hour before the bird is done, flip it over so that the breast is facing up and take tent off. That's it! Super easy and super juicy!

I tried this once. Not pretty. HOW do you flip over an 18 pound turkey that's been in the oven for 3 hours?

SoloMelody
11-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Coming from a different culture, I dont really have anything thats tradition. I will be hosting it for the first time and will have my brothers visit us.Happy to see this thread, so I can pick some of all your yummy faves and start my own tradition.

Menu
corn casserole (the one with saltines)
cranberry chutney
mashed sweet potatoes (Good eats version)
stuffing - keeping an eye out for recipe
meat?? not a turkey fan....

Keep the recipies coming :jammin:

TwinFoxes
11-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Uh...hello?! I can't believe no one has asked how you do your turkey! Details please :)

I'm a simple brine girl. And we do a breast. But it always comes out nice and juicy. I'm not even sure I use a recipe! Seriously, the secret is to brine that sucker. Oh, but it is possible to brine it too long, I got a salty turkey once. :( Luckily DH is the salt king, and thought it was fine.

The Rachel Ray recipe looks interesting, maybe I'll try that.

TwinFoxes
11-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I tried this once. Not pretty. HOW do you flip over an 18 pound turkey that's been in the oven for 3 hours?

My MIL said the exact same thing when she was visiting. I think it must be for people who cook smaller birds, or are very talented! I can't imagine my MIL, who's 4'11 1/2 flipping over an 18 pound, piping hot turkey.

creativelightbulb
11-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Squash casserole....the really cheesy version...I like it better than mac n cheese

Jo..
11-19-2010, 09:41 AM
My MIL said the exact same thing when she was visiting. I think it must be for people who cook smaller birds, or are very talented! I can't imagine my MIL, who's 4'11 1/2 flipping over an 18 pound, piping hot turkey.

We have two pairs of those big rubber barbeque gloves, and both DH and I get in on the turkey flipping action. Usually accompanied by a little laughing and a little swearing.

boogiemomz
11-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet potato casserole. Not the runny, "yams" in a can crap with marshmallow topping, but actual sweet potato casserole, with a praline pecan topping.

:yeahthat: This is my favorite thing; I've made it for the last 5 or 6 Thanksgivings. I have some as a side dish, and then more for dessert!! Yummmm............

PAfirsttimemom
11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Without question: Nana's potato filling!

She's no longer with us, so we muddle through trying to make it without her. We joke that the secret ingredient was her sweat. :-)

I like turkey and gravy, but IMO, Thanksgiving is all about the sides.

Jo..
11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm a simple brine girl. And we do a breast. But it always comes out nice and juicy. I'm not even sure I use a recipe! Seriously, the secret is to brine that sucker. Oh, but it is possible to brine it too long, I got a salty turkey once. :( Luckily DH is the salt king, and thought it was fine.

The Rachel Ray recipe looks interesting, maybe I'll try that.

We use the Brine and directions from Cook's illustrated and the turkey is insanely juicy. We've used fancier brines in the past too with sugar or juice added, etc, but keep coming back to this. A good way to brine a turkey if you don't have room for an enormous container in the fridge is to line a large cooler with a plastic bag (garbage bag) and brine in there.

Serves 10 to 22, depending on turkey size. Published November 1, 2004.
We offer two brine formulas: one for a 4- to 6-hour brine and another for a 12- to 14-hour brine. The amount of salt used in each brine does not change with turkey size. If you’re roasting a kosher or self-basting turkey, do not brine it; it already contains a good amount of sodium. Rotating the bird from a breast-side down position to a breast-side up position midway through cooking helps to produce evenly cooked dark and white meat. If you’re roasting a large (18- to 22-pound) bird and are reluctant to rotate it, skip the step of lining the V-rack with foil and roast the bird breast-side up for the full time. If making gravy, scatter 1 cup each of coarsely chopped onion, celery, and carrot as well as several fresh thyme sprigs in the roasting pan at the outset; add 1 cup water to keep the vegetables from burning.

Serves 10 to 22, depending on turkey size. Published November 1, 2004.
We offer two brine formulas: one for a 4- to 6-hour brine and another for a 12- to 14-hour brine. The amount of salt used in each brine does not change with turkey size. If you’re roasting a kosher or self-basting turkey, do not brine it; it already contains a good amount of sodium. Rotating the bird from a breast-side down position to a breast-side up position midway through cooking helps to produce evenly cooked dark and white meat. If you’re roasting a large (18- to 22-pound) bird and are reluctant to rotate it, skip the step of lining the V-rack with foil and roast the bird breast-side up for the full time. If making gravy, scatter 1 cup each of coarsely chopped onion, celery, and carrot as well as several fresh thyme sprigs in the roasting pan at the outset; add 1 cup water to keep the vegetables from burning.

Ingredients

Table salt (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/../tastetests/overview.asp?docid=9842) 1turkey (12 to 22 pounds gross weight), rinsed thoroughly, giblets and neck reserved for gravy, if making4tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
Instructions

1. Dissolve 1 cup salt per gallon cold water for 4- to 6-hour brine or 1/2 cup salt per gallon cold water for 12- to 14-hour brine in large stockpot or clean bucket. Two gallons of water will be sufficient for most birds; larger birds may require three gallons. Add turkey and refrigerate for predetermined amount of time.
2. Before removing turkey from brine, adjust oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 400 degrees for 12- to 18-pound bird or 425 degrees for 18- to 22-pound bird. Line large V-rack with heavy-duty foil and use paring knife or skewer to poke 20 to 30 holes in foil; set V-rack in large roasting pan.
3. Remove turkey from brine and rinse well under cool running water. Pat dry inside and out with paper towels. Tuck tips of drumsticks into skin at tail to secure, and tuck wing tips behind back. Brush turkey breast with 2 tablespoons butter. Set turkey breast-side down on prepared V-rack; brush back with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Roast 45 minutes for 12- to 18-pound bird or 1 hour for 18- to 22-pound bird.
4. Remove roasting pan with turkey from oven (close oven door to retain oven heat); reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees if roasting 18- to 22-pound bird. Using clean potholders or kitchen towels, rotate turkey breast-side up; continue to roast until thickest part of breast registers 165 degrees and thickest part of thigh registers 170 to 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 50 to 60 minutes longer for 12- to 15-pound bird, about 1 1/4 hours for 15- to 18-pound bird, or about 2 hours longer for 18- to 22-pound bird. Transfer turkey to carving board; let rest 30 minutes (or up to 40 minutes for 18- to 22-pound bird). Carve and serve.

alien_host
11-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I love the whole turkey dinner! Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, candied yams.....yummy!

But if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with the stuffing.

marie
11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
A hint for those trying their hand at brining - be sure to use table or kosher salt as the recipe dictates. They are different. MIL swore off brining because her turkey came out so salty one year. Well, the recipe called for kosher and she used table.

As to the original question - I'm another "my favorite is the turkey/stuffing/cranberry wrap or sandwich that I eat the next day". :D

boolady
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
A hint for those trying their hand at brining - be sure to use table or kosher salt as the recipe dictates. They are different. MIL swore off brining because her turkey came out so salty one year. Well, the recipe called for kosher and she used table.

This is a great reminder. There really is a big difference in the potency of the two. Thanks.

lizzywednesday
11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
As to the original question - I'm another "my favorite is the turkey/stuffing/cranberry wrap or sandwich that I eat the next day". :D

Have you ever had the Starbucks "Grandma's Turkey Sandwich"?

SOOO good.

(It's 500+ calories.)

But still ... SOOOO good!!!

elbenn
11-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I've never brined a turkey before. There's a recipe on weelicious.com that calls for maple syrup. Has anyone brined a turkey with maple syrup before? How does it affect the taste of the gravy?

alien_host
11-19-2010, 05:27 PM

I love this too....on pumpernickel or marbled rye bread...

hellbennt
11-19-2010, 06:26 PM
kosher turkey is already brined ;)

I love this thread!

and I also love mixing everything up; I don't think it's gross :love-retry:

I always miss my grandmother's cranberry relish: raw cranberries, orange zest/peel and a ton of sugar! all food processored-up! for the years we're w/ my side of the family, my sister makes it...

shilo
11-19-2010, 08:02 PM
My dad's cornbread dressing. It's way too complicated for me to deal with..I have the recipe, but if he's still around to make it, I'm deferring to him.

do me a favor and give him an extra hug this year and let him know it's your favorite - i wish i'd done it more often. this is what i would have typed i look most forward to as well. this is the first year my dad won't be here to make it for us, we lost him in june - my sister and i are going to give it a shot, together. crying now, but in a good way. gosh i am going to miss him at the table next week. but even more so in the kitchen next to me.

happymom
11-24-2010, 11:50 PM
do me a favor and give him an extra hug this year and let him know it's your favorite - i wish i'd done it more often. this is what i would have typed i look most forward to as well. this is the first year my dad won't be here to make it for us, we lost him in june - my sister and i are going to give it a shot, together. crying now, but in a good way. gosh i am going to miss him at the table next week. but even more so in the kitchen next to me.

Just saw this and wanted to give you :hug:. It sounds like you have some very special memories of your dad.

Melbel
11-24-2010, 11:54 PM

Do you have a recipe handy? That sounds delicious!

kijip
11-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Stuffed mushrooms.

Stuffing.

Cold turkey the day after on fresh bread with mayo and cranberry sauce. :)

jent
11-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Any kind of cranberry sauce. Canned, freshly made traditional sauce, cranberry relish-- it's all good.

ha98ed14
11-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Cranberry Sauce with Port and Dried Figs

1 & 2/3 cups ruby Port
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
8 dried black Mission figs, stemmed, chopped
1 6-inch long sprig fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
3/4 cup sugar

Combine first 6 ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stiring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Discard rosemary. Mix in cranberries and sugar. Cook over medium heat until liquid is slightly reduced and berries burst, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Cool, then transfer to bowl and chill. Can be prepared 1 week ahead. I always make a double recipe of this. For more than four people, I'd triple it. A double uses a full bottle of ruby Port.

Jo..
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
We use it as a side dish (in lieu of cranberry relish) but it would also work for dessert. It is a family fave and we always get recipe requests if we bring it anywhere. We serve it on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter (it goes great with either turkey or ham).

Melbel we made this for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. Thanks so much for the recipe!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Melbel we made this for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. Thanks so much for the recipe!

We also made this for Turkey day and again once since. It was fabulous and very easy, It will be at all our holidays from here on out, thanks Melbel!

Twoboos
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Noticed there are a lot of stuffing addicts here (I'm right there with you!). BIL made this and I was suspicious at first (really, craisins?) but it was FABULOUS! And I mistakenly gave all the leftovers away - to a vegetarian. :duh: I was in so much trouble when everyone else went to have some the next day!

Sausage and herb bread stuffing: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/sausage-herb-bread-stuffing-1334?click=recipe_sr

Also, this Cranberry sauce. I don’t even like cranberry sauce and I am a convert.
Cranberry-Pear relish: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/cranberry-pear-relish?click=recipe_sr