PDA

View Full Version : Favorite products for wallpaper/border removal?

brittone2
11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Can anyone recommend a favorite product for wallpaper/border removal? We have some to do on our next house and I'm a little scared ;) MIL is amazing with wallpaper (putting up, and I'm guessing she's taken a good bit down) so I'm going to talk with her a bit.

Just wondering if anyone had any tried and true favorite products and or tips by any chance? I've been fortunate in that we never had to do this in any of our prior houses. Thankfully there is only wallpaper on one single wall in the upstairs, but the formal living room and dining room both have mauve/navy type floral wallpaper that I'd like to get down before we move our furniture in. It is one of those projects I think we won't get around to for a while if we don't do it asap.

ThreeofUs
11-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't know how old the new-to-you wallpaper is, but I've found just pulling on older papers (30 years or so) takes it off. Then I just wash the walls repeatedly with warm water to get the glue softened and off. Sometimes (depending on the state of the plaster underneath) I use a wide, flexible scraper to get under the paper and glue.

I'm sure people have better ideas than I have for chemicals, but I must say any time I've used the "wallpaper ripper" tools, I've created more of a mess than I needed to.

GL!

brittone2
11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't know how old the new-to-you wallpaper is, but I've found just pulling on older papers (30 years or so) takes it off. Then I just wash the walls repeatedly with warm water to get the glue softened and off. Sometimes (depending on the state of the plaster underneath) I use a wide, flexible scraper to get under the paper and glue.

I'm sure people have better ideas than I have for chemicals, but I must say any time I've used the "wallpaper ripper" tools, I've created more of a mess than I needed to.

GL!

The paper would be under 22 years old. The house was built in 88. Not sure when the paper went up (it is in good condition just NMS ;) ) but it isn't *really* old.

I'm worried about damaging the drywall. Obviously that can be repaired but I'd rather not screw it up too badly!

clc053103
11-18-2010, 10:30 AM
I use a Paper Tiger paper scorer and Dif. Tried the Gel spray recently for a border and it worked really well. For wallpaper I think I would use the liquid, you can actually roll it on with a paint roller.

If worried about chemical, when I was pregnant I did it with fabric softener and water and it worked well too.

brittone2
11-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm not totally anti chemical. I could ventilate and we would probably do the work before we actually moved in. If I can avoid using nasty stuff that would be fantastic though ;)

KrisM
11-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I used a steamer last time and that was the easiest I ever had wallpaper come off. I'd score it, steam it, and peel.

Clarity
11-18-2010, 11:03 AM
We've been using a solution of vinegar and water. About 1/2 and 1/2. Score the wall paper, sponge on warm/hot vinegar water, let soak and scrape away. We've found that the stubborn areas require hotter water/vinegar.

ThreeofUs
11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
We've been using a solution of vinegar and water. About 1/2 and 1/2. Score the wall paper, sponge on warm/hot vinegar water, let soak and scrape away. We've found that the stubborn areas require hotter water/vinegar.

This sounds great. Maybe with a steamer it would work even better? Anyway, I'm tucking it into my "how to" file to remember, thanks!

brittone2
11-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Right up my alley :wink2: THanks for that idea!

MolieMuts
11-18-2010, 11:20 AM
We have 80's style border applied directly to our drywall. I was able to pull the front of the paper off pretty easily and then applied a rag that was wet with hot water to the glue part and it easily came off with a straight edge. It didn't damage the drywall at all and it was not messy. I just pressed the hot rag on the wall in about two foot sections for about 30 seconds. We tried the scoring and chemical method in other rooms and it didn't work. Of course, a steamer would probably work best if you have it.

brittone2
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
We have 80's style border applied directly to our drywall. I was able to pull the front of the paper off pretty easily and then applied a rag that was wet with hot water to the glue part and it easily came off with a straight edge. It didn't damage the drywall at all and it was not messy. I just pressed the hot rag on the wall in about two foot sections for about 30 seconds. We tried the scoring and chemical method in other rooms and it didn't work. Of course, a steamer would probably work best if you have it.
Sounds promising! MIL might have a steamer, or my BIL/SIL who inherited a house with wallpaper in every single room, closet, and some ceilings! They finally finished all of the removal a few months ago.

Clarity
11-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Beth, you definitely want to be very careful about how wet you get the walls if you have drywall on them. Too wet and it will ruin your drywall. Our new (old) house has plaster walls, so we can soak them a bit more than if they were drywall. In your case, a steamer might be a great idea, especially if you can borrow one.

brittone2
11-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Beth, you definitely want to be very careful about how wet you get the walls if you have drywall on them. To wet and it will ruin your drywall. Our new (old) house has plaster walls, so we can soak them a bit more than if they were drywall. In your case, a steamer might be a great idea, especially if you can borrow one.

Good tip! Thanks! I'm totally new to this. I've never had the pleasure of removing border/wallpaper before ;)